Pm2 or GB2

Which do you prefer for EDC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gizler00

Gold Member
I know this may have been done before, but I always seem to have a hard time deciding between two.
I have had both of these knives many times over, and always seem to sell them for the other one at some point. Or I sell them both for something completely different.

I love both of these knives for what they are. And they both have strengths and weaknesses that go against each other.

When I carry a knife, it is essentially the main tool that I use for every single cutting task.

I do, however, always carry some type of Swiss Army knife or multitool to take care of other duties, like prying and such.

I am just curious to see what you guys prefer. I think the ultimate answer would be is to have both, but sometimes I feel that it is redundant to have many different knives, or flashlights, or every day carry tools that almost meet the same requirements as the other ones in your collection.

I am currently carrying a CruCarta PM2 to that I just installed an MXG pocket clip on. This is the first variation of this knife that I have carried with the full liners. And oddly enough, it doesn’t seem to be as smooth as the previous ones that I have had.

Hope you guys are having a great weekend.

If the GB2 had a detent that was worth a damn I’d go for that every day of the week, purely for the sturdier tip. Also a fan of the hollow grind, m4, and I always did like a good liner lock.

Since the gb2 opens in my pocket if the wind blows the wrong way… I vote PM2

Last edited:
The light Taichung detent is a problem for some who carry the GB2. If your not opposed to taking your knife apart, The Detent mod(slightly enlarging the hole to "seat" the ball deeper) is fairly easy to perform!! The Gayle Bradley blade is one of the best Spyderco cutters as I'm sure you noticed in past use!

GB2 over a PM2 for me.

The ergos are fantastic, I like the fact that the hump is less pronounced. Its classy looking. I also love that the standard GB2 is like a sprint of other models with its M4 and carbon fiber laminate. The detent is also light on mine. Ive never had it open in my pocket. Its super smooth with solid lockup and I love a liner lock. Some people complain about the access to the lock, but it doesnt bother me at all. Gayle Bradley has stated he designed it that way to prevent unintentional disengagement when firmly gripping and torquing. Ive never had a problem disengaging it with either a lefty or righty grip. Its not a fidgety knife, which some folks may not like. My only complaint was that the stock clip was not up to the quality of the USA made hourglass clips. I put an MXG clip on it and its perfect.

When I first received mine I wanted to darken the blade. Turns out it had some clear coat on it. I tried everything to give it a patina. I discovered it had the coating when I was cleaning dried mustard and relish off of it and the coating scratched and exposed steel immediately darkened up. I then sanded it with steel wool to remove the coating and soaked it in hot vinegar. Its got a nice steely gray patina now.

Last edited:
Coin toss I suppose, I do prefer the compression lock as it is much easier to disengage than the liner lock. 4, Para 2’s in 3 different flavors, 1 GB2. For me the biggest issue is the lock. If my hand is wet there is no way for me to unlock the GB. Unlocking the Para 3 under any condition is not a problem.

Coin toss I suppose, I do prefer the compression lock as it is much easier to disengage than the liner lock. 4, Para 2’s in 3 different flavors, 1 GB2. For me the biggest issue is the lock. If my hand is wet there is no way for me to unlock the GB. Unlocking the Para 3 under any condition is not a problem.

I guess that's true. When you have fat fingers like me, it helps to open the lock on the GB2 up a bit. Easy enough though. The GB1 is better that way.

i-fKWr2r3-X2.jpg

I've quite a few PM2s but never use them heavily as the compression lock creates a hotspot in the webbing between thumb and index finger. Not a problem in the Shaman, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I guess that's true. When you have fat fingers like me, it helps to open the lock on the GB2 up a bit. Easy enough though. The GB1 is better that way.

i-fKWr2r3-X2.jpg

I've quite a few PM2s but never use them heavily as the compression lock creates a hotspot in the webbing between thumb and index finger. Not a problem in the Shaman, for whatever reason.
I work with a machine shop in the next department, might have to do that. Thank you

Had both and both are great. The GB2 is in my top 10 list of all time even with putting it up against knives that are 2-5 times more expensive. It punches WAY above its price point!!!!! Light enough to carry with any shorts/pants but can handle hard use tasks bc of the full length thick steel liners. M4 steel that’s hollow ground with a blade that is just about perfect in length. Can easily be used as a last resort for self defense as well. It feels more secure and sturdy in hand compared to the PM2. I also prefer the less pronounced arch at the thumb position.

I finally just got a pm2 in CW and I’m pretty satisfied that it will be my last Spyderco, at least until this one wears out. It’s the perfect size and build for the size category. My next step up in size is a Hinderer and the next size down is a CRK small Sebenza.

I prefer the GB2 only issue ime are the liners.
If the scales would cover the edges it would be good to go.

I have several PM2s GB2 and GB1, GB1 is by far the best. I prefer the GB2 over the PM2, better and longer blade, better steel (if we're comparing base model PM2) slicier grind, better ergos (the edges and lock are major hot spots for me when I squeeze the knife). The only downside to the GB2 is the weak detent, but I haven't had any issues with it opening as I carry tip up. The liner lock being hard to reach is not an issue for me, but a feature. I've had many liner locks disengage when bearing down, when the liner is flush like with the GB1/2 this becomes less of a concern.

I think both are superb knives. The GB2 fits my hand better, like the blade shape better, like the looks better, and I actually prefer the GB2s liner lock over the compression lock.

If you want a fidget knife, PM2 all the way.

Every Spyderco fan should have a PM2. I have several, but the Crucarta is my favorite out of the bunch and not the most expensive. It is so smooth and drop shut.

The Gayle Bradley 2 exclusive is a very nice knife also. I have a little hard time pressing the liner lock sometimes but its getting better. I also seem to have a little lock stick, but not every time. Im sure it just needs to be broke in.

Out of the 2, I would probably pick the Gayle Bradley.

But like I said, everybody should own a PM2

Every Spyderco fan should have a PM2. I have several, but the Crucarta is my favorite out of the bunch and not the most expensive. It is so smooth and drop shut.

The Gayle Bradley 2 exclusive is a very nice knife also. I have a little hard time pressing the liner lock sometimes but its getting better. I also seem to have a little lock stick, but not every time. Im sure it just needs to be broke in.

Out of the 2, I would probably pick the Gayle Bradley.

But like I said, everybody should own a PM2
I have owned several PM2's over the years, but just couldn't bring myself to like them, despite their overwhelming popularity. Not a fan of the grip's bulbous posterior, and too much blade sacrificed to the choil for my taste. GB2 is a fantastic knife.

I have a few PM2s myself; the one I carry most is the "lefty", which I carry every seventh blue moon. I had a GB1 and liked it so much I gave it away. Since the GB2 shares the same features I found intolerable on the first one, I will pass on it altogether. I'll take the old school Military over either and the Military2 as well.

Back