Political Knives = General Knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down the road into a discussion about ideologies? I agree. Saying "I wouldn't buy from X because of his beliefs/politics/attitude etc.".... that I can see as General Discussion.

Saying " Xs beliefs/politics attitudes are wrong because Y." .... that's not.

Not sure how far across the line that thread went, but there mods decided it was far enough, and that's good enough reason to close it for me. :thumbup:

Ideologies is a problem and that goes to political viewpoints.

Choice is everyone's right, people make choices on various things everyday. :thumbup:

If a maker posts his beliefs so openly, go ahead and point to them. You don't have to expand on the ideology, but if you want to, start your own thread in the appropriate forum. You can then link to the new thread.

I just pulled 40 posts out of a knife review for going off topic into intellectual property. Added my comments to two threads. And left them to continue, separately.

Is the extreme political view of a maker only to be dicussed in the political area or is it closely tied to the brand name and thus value of a knife and therefore could be part of a General Knife Discussion thread?

I believe everybody kept it civil in this locked thread and only linked the political extremism of the maker to the purchase advice and nothing else.

Nobody discussed Nazis for a purely political reason. It was only with regards to the knives and their value or lack thereof.

Should only be this guy's attitude towards woman have been talked about but not his racism or would both have been too political?

How would one word an advice which is for a knife but has its root in the makers brand image which is tied to his political views?

If he'd be Chinese would an advice to only buy American be already too political for GKD?

Isn't being a Nazi way worse than being not American? How could one warn a potential customer in GKD without mentioning Nazism and being perceived as political discussion?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392985

Thanks for your opinion.

In General Knife Discussion, the topic should be the completed knife and not the following:
Knifemaking processes
Knifemaking equipment
Religious beliefs
Political affiliations or ideological leanings.

I would venture a guess and say that most makers don't create a product without taking some level of inspiration from aspects of their personal lives. But it should not become THE topic of discussion. It's very easy for a simple topic to become mired in political discussion, religious debate, or other ideological themes.

When the topic of buying American made vs made in China, most people will buy whatever they want. Some have their preferences internalized and don't broadcast it, others love to let people know that they lesser priced knives are just as good if not better than the "high priced crap". In any case, discus the knife itself, does it cut well? Is it a good design? Easy to sharpen? Long waiting times? Hold it's edge well or poorly? Those are the topics that should ideally be discussed.

In General Knife Discussion, the topic should be the completed knife and not the following:
Knifemaking processes
Knifemaking equipment
Religious beliefs
Political affiliations or ideological leanings.

I would venture a guess and say that most makers don't create a product without taking some level of inspiration from aspects of their personal lives. But it should not become THE topic of discussion. It's very easy for a simple topic to become mired in political discussion, religious debate, or other ideological themes.

When the topic of buying American made vs made in China, most people will buy whatever they want. Some have their preferences internalized and don't broadcast it, others love to let people know that they lesser priced knives are just as good if not better than the "high priced crap". In any case, discus the knife itself, does it cut well? Is it a good design? Easy to sharpen? Long waiting times? Hold it's edge well or poorly? Those are the topics that should ideally be discussed.
Thanks RevDevil, and all the other cool responses.

I think now I've a better feeling for what GKD includes and what not or what extent may be acceptable.

I'm aware that each new thread is a judgement call by a moderator and not some If/Then robot program. Considering all things it was a wise choice in this case. :)

I also think I got some idea how and where to discuss things better next time.
Even this very discussion here turned a bit political. So I can see the concern.

Thanks again guys.

A thread is closed so you decide to reopen it by starting another thread on it and linking to it? Probably not the smartest of moves.
Agreed. Though reopening wasn't my intention that's certainly what could happen. It might have been better without the link and decribing the details myself instead. Of course vague enough to still be helpful but not so specific as to reignite the original discussion. Its a fine line. Good that we have mods who have experience and can anticipate where things might head before they actually do.

Last edited:
Hey guys i see you are talking about me. That is ok i dont mind but at the same time you were all miss directed and uninformed the pictures were on my personal page of facebook the flag was posted during the rebel flag controversy it has nothing to do with my beliefs and whats wrong with a picture that states im white and proud of it? If i was not proud of who i am then where would i be? Another thing is the picture with my wife and the knife if you are offended by the picture of us goofing off than i feel sorry for you we are a knife addicted family and love it. As for the oringinal poster of the thread i answered every question he asked me. But he never asked me who have purchased any and he never aske me about my personal life which has no affiliation with "nazis" or "racial views" im in no extremist group and nor am i racist. I have been with my wife for 3 years and took her 2 children on as my own! I treat women with respect as they are and will always be the makers of this world we live in. Further more none of those pictures are on my business page at all! That is another lie he stated. I appreciate your concern on this subject and understand completely how people feel about it. I do build wonderfull functional knives you can ask any of my repeat customers as they are vast! But slandering someones name is not only wrong and unethical but illegal. Thank you.

Hey guys i see you are talking about me. That is ok i dont mind but at the same time you were all miss directed and uninformed the pictures were on my personal page of facebook the flag was posted during the rebel flag controversy it has nothing to do with my beliefs and whats wrong with a picture that states im white and proud of it? If i was not proud of who i am then where would i be? Another thing is the picture with my wife and the knife if you are offended by the picture of us goofing off than i feel sorry for you we are a knife addicted family and love it. As for the oringinal poster of the thread i answered every question he asked me. But he never asked me who have purchased any and he never aske me about my personal life which has no affiliation with "nazis" or "racial views" im in no extremist group and nor am i racist. I have been with my wife for 3 years and took her 2 children on as my own! I treat women with respect as they are and will always be the makers of this world we live in. Further more none of those pictures are on my business page at all! That is another lie he stated. I appreciate your concern on this subject and understand completely how people feel about it. I do build wonderfull functional knives you can ask any of my repeat customers as they are vast! But slandering someones name is not only wrong and unethical but illegal. Thank you.

Personally, I've seen enough evidence with my own eyes to draw a conclusion on who I'd be buying a knife from. Also, Blade Magazine has been made aware of said "issues":thumbup:

This needs to be a discussion about knives. If it devolves into attacking an individual, it will get closed.

One thing that I've seen from some makers is that they post their opinion about politics as well. And not just their opinion but insulting someone else who has a different opinion. It turns me off from buying a knife from them. There is one maker on this forum that I really enjoy his designs and would love to support his business but because he thinks I'm stupid as s*** because my political beliefs are different from his I have a hard time pulling the trigger.

I pretty much agree with you. I might favor one brand / maker and don't buy another brand / maker based on non-knife attributes and values such as politics (not that this is currently a trigger for me), etc. But the guy asked whether he was getting a fair value for a knife he's buying. As far as I know, a knife does not have a political, religious, or social agenda (unless it's physically added to the product). Unless there was something unethical or reprehensible in how the knives are actually produced (like quenching it in unicorn tears gathered through torture), then I would prefer to simply answer the question asked: whether the knife was worthy of consideration based on knife attributes.

A knife maker may be a drunk and I'm not into getting drunk but if the knife maker makes a knife that I like, him being a drunk would not be a consideration in my buying decision. Someone may say, "but you're supporting his drunkenness!" That's on him, not on me. Sad to see him ruin his life but maybe that's also what drives his "artistry."

I pretty much agree with you. I might favor one brand / maker and don't buy another brand / maker based on non-knife attributes and values such as politics (not that this is currently a trigger for me), etc. But the guy asked whether he was getting a fair value for a knife he's buying. As far as I know, a knife does not have a political, religious, or social agenda (unless it's physically added to the product). Unless there was something unethical or reprehensible in how the knives are actually produced (like quenching it in unicorn tears gathered through torture), then I would prefer to simply answer the question asked: whether the knife was worthy of consideration based on knife attributes.

A knife maker may be a drunk and I'm not into getting drunk but if the knife maker makes a knife that I like, him being a drunk would not be a consideration in my buying decision. Someone may say, "but you're supporting his drunkenness!" That's on him, not on me. Sad to see him ruin his life but maybe that's also what drives his "artistry."

Meth and alcohol used to drive my "artistry" ...

I wish i knew how to post pics of my work here. Im new to this forum but i love my work i dont cosider myself as a professional by any means there are makers out there better than me. But many consider that i am. And that being said i always conduct my business and customer satifaction with upmost professionalism bottom line. I see many of you see my point and thank you for that.

PS... Although alcohol no longer fuels my work, it sometimes inspires it!

Last edited:
I wish i knew how to post pics of my work here. Im new to this forum but i love my work i dont cosider myself as a professional by any means there are makers out there better than me. But many consider that i am. And that being said i always conduct my business and customer satifaction with upmost professionalism bottom line. I see many of you see my point and thank you for that.

Upload to imgur.com. Use the IMG tag option. Paste the link in your post.

Are we seriously going to promote this? Not even a paying member.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

ayGiwBx

Recently finished this one if uploading worked

You need to put a [ img ] and [ / img ] before and after the URL... No spaces in the brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back