1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Poll Question: D2 or Elmax For a Small Utility Fixed Blade Knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by raylaconico, Feb 22, 2012.

1. I would pay an extra $10 for Elmax over D2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I would rather save $10 and take D2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care what steel as long as I like the design

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    I'm planning to do a run of small utility fixed blade knives with about a 3" blade. I'm trying to decide whether to use D2 or Elmax. Both steels are great but Elmax is a bit more expensive so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra money. My question is this:

Would you guys pay an extra $10 for a 3" blade with Elmax over a blade with D2? Or would it not matter what steel as long as you like the look of the knife itself?

Please let me know what you guys think. Your input will be extremely helpful in figuring this out.

Thanks,

-Ray Laconico

2. jmsodpc

jmsodpc

Jun 2, 2011
    I ordered an ElMax zero tolerance .....I thought I would try it...so I guess $10 is worth it.

3. Suveges

Suveges

Feb 19, 1999
    I think Elmax is a bit more stainless, which might be better for something carried close to the body? I'd pay ten bucks extra just to try it out.

4. capid1

capid1

Jan 11, 2011
    Definitely Elmax! Really tough steel, great edge holding and pretty dang easy to sharpen!

5. Ken44

Ken44 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Most all of my small fixed blades are D2, its plenty good enough for me. My favorites are Bob Dozier and Gene Ingram. They hold a great edge, and I've never had a problem with staining or rust since D2 is as close to a stainless as you can get.

I also would have no problem paying $10 more for Elmax since I've heard its a great steel, and I need to try it anyway. $10 is not much on the price of a custom knife.

The design would mean more than the steel to me, but I'll be in the minority there. Most will want Elmax.

6. jossta

jossta Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2006
    I would def pay the difference, just b/c there's less stuff out there in it.

7. russde

russde Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm, needs more choices.
    I would pay an extra $10 for Elmax if the cost of the knife were say, more than $150, but would be hard pressed to justify it if the cost were $75. I suppose a better way to put it would be it depends on the percentage difference it would make in the total cost of the knife.
    And...
    If the knife were to mainly be a hunting blade I think the folks that would be most interested would just stick with the $10 less D2, a more 'edc' type utility knife would appeal to the 'steel snob' crowd (of which I am one) and they wouldn't think twice about $10 more. Just take a look at the Spyderco Sprints, they are routinely 15-30% ( guessing, no hard numbers) more than the more pedestrian versions (S30, pedestrian, whoda' thunk it?) and sell out in record time.

Build it in Elmax, and they will come (especially in some of your beautiful designs).

8. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    I like D2 and it's a steel that has been widely use. Elmax on the other hand is just starting to build a really good reputation in the knife industry. Ray, it would be great for you to release this knife in Elmax, I doubt anyone here would mind paying an extra $10 for Elmax.

P.S. I can't wait to see your design for this knife.

9. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Thanks guys. I forgot to note that this knife will not be a full custom. I will at least have the blades and scales cut out and heat treated somewhere. I'm still working on the details but it will probably be 50- 100 knives in a small EDC size design.

Please keep the poll going. The more votes the better. Thanks.

10. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    I'll give a vote for Elmax too... hard to not like that steel.

11. KDUJ

KDUJ

Aug 4, 2008
    Just voted Elmax,

Now I need to know how to get on your list to get one.

12. Reeek

Reeek

Aug 16, 2008
    I'd pay an extra $10 for Elmax ;)

13. SilverLighT

SilverLighT

Jan 21, 2002
    I don't have a knife with elmax yet, this might give me an excuse.
    elmax it is!

14. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Elmax for sure. Ray, put me on the list for one of those badboys.

15. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    ELMAX definitely, no question. :)

16. Sulaco

Sulaco Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2003
    I voted ELMAX.

17. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Oh wow! Elmax wins by a huge margin. I thought it would but I didn't expect it to be by this much. It looks like Elmax is the obvious choice!

18. capid1

capid1

Jan 11, 2011
    Look forward to seeing the knife design! Glad Elmax was the clear winner here.

19. Contained

Contained

Jun 12, 2010
    Success! Lookin foreword to seeing them.

20. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd love to try Elmax. Now to figure out how to get the money to buy one....