propane regulator for forge...

I'm putting together a 500 cu/inch can forge with side arm burner and I'm having a helluva time finding the right kind of propane regulator (up to 30 psi) where I live. I can get an oxy/acetylene reg... but I just can't afford one right now. So if anybody has something they want to get rid of, PM me. Anyway... what do most folks use??

I know I can get a new one online.... but again... expensive.

Ellis custom knife supplies carries what you need for between 40 -50 bucks. Don't try to rig something up from scrap parts for this, this can be a very dangerous thing. Get a shut of valve and a needle valve. The also have the Insawool and refractory and are very helpful if you have questions.

I've got everything but the reg. I surely wasn't trying to scrap something together.... just find something used or priced better. I'm just spending a ton of money on the shop right now and am trying to save some money.

I dont want to make a dangerous suggestion but what about a turkey fryer regulator:confused: It's adjustable, low pressure,but no gauge...There is a couple cheaper regulators on ebay too.Good luck !

I have one if those for my own turkey fryer... but it is only a few psi. I'm looking for a 0-30 psi. I posted this because often folks have extra stuff they never thought of getting rid of or somebody knows a good source, etc. I checked ebay with no luck. I will keep my eye open though....

When I was building mine, I purchased a regulator from my local Propane distributor for twenty five dollars. You might check with yours, they might even have a used one.

This is just an idea that worked very well for me. I used a asphalt burner from Harbour Freight and took the long neck off. With a few fitting from the hardware store and a burner defuser from Dan Foggs ( I think) plans I have a great little forge that is adjustable and more then hot enough for about $20.

This is just an idea that worked very well for me. I used a asphalt burner from Harbour Freight and took the long neck off. With a few fitting from the hardware store and a burner defuser from Dan Foggs ( I think) plans I have a great little forge that is adjustable and more then hot enough for about $20.

That's fine if you are hooking it up to one of those dinky camp stove propane tanks. When it goes boom it will just be a medium-sized boom, with not nearly as much schrapnel flying around. When you hook it up to the 20 pound, or even the 100 pound propane tank, you'll have a much more impressive fireball. Only you probably won't be around to see it.

I appreciate that George! I've got one more local place to check.... and if that doesn't work, I might order from your link.

That's fine if you are hooking it up to one of those dinky camp stove propane tanks. When it goes boom it will just be a medium-sized boom, with not nearly as much schrapnel flying around. When you hook it up to the 20 pound, or even the 100 pound propane tank, you'll have a much more impressive fireball. Only you probably won't be around to see it.

Now that's funny!:thumbup:

Just to be clear.... if you see my original post, I never implied that I wanted to rig something up here.... I want an actual 0-30 psi regulator... I was just looking for less expensive ways of getting one! I didn't want to start a thread where people are bashing other folk's systems. Anyway... some folks have helped me out with this so Thank You!

Sorry, I was a bit too sarcastic, and wasn't intending to bash anyone's system. But to imply that simply hooking up a weed or asphalt burner torch to a propane tank and lighting it up is a viable option, is a bit scary to me.

Regulators and easily accessible shut-off valves should be considered into any system wherever possible.

I understand trying to save a buck, but certain things should not be skimped on. I was just trying to give a warning. If my words were offensive I apologize, but you have to admit the comment by nstricker was damn funny.

They weren't offensive but it made it look like I was trying patch some hardware together... so I was just trying to clear up. A lot of people buy used equipment, so I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to save money by going that route... within reason. And also... sometimes there are better deals out there that are known by the experienced folk and the guys who pointed me to the 'farm supply house' regulators may have done that.

Back