1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Questionable tag lines & shiny footprints

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Sal Glesser, May 13, 2007.

1. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    This is a sensitive subject, so I would appreciate your patience and understanding.

The hostility that seems to appear on the forum makes it an uncomfortable place to be. This is opposite the intention.

Much of the hostility seems to be centered around the "round hole issue".

After listening to comments, discussion and much thought (which requires time becausae I'm sometimes slow), I have a request.

I am asking you to pull any tag lines or comments that could be percerived as hostile or antagonistic to other companies in the knife industry, while on our forums.

I realize that to many, it is an important issue, and I will admit to being sensitive myself, but a negative approach is not good for the industry or Spyderco in the industry.

Intelligent, civil communication is more valuable.

We have always tried to "leave shiny footprints" where ever we go. I personally have tried to avoid negative comments towards other companies. (No, I'm not perfect either :eek: ) I think it serves to keep thoughts about Spyderco and other companies more positive than negative.

If you would like to be closely associated with Spyderco, which we greatly appreciate, it would be our wish that you consider leaving shiny footprints rather than hostile feelings, whjere Spyderco is concerened.

thanx much for your cooperation and kind understanding.

sal

2. mapesd

mapesd

Feb 14, 2007
    Thank you Mr. Glesser! Admittedly, I have been following your posts to the "round-hole issue" on this site, as well as other knife related topics, and applaud the amount of emotional intelligence that is reflected in your responses.

3. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Would you consider

I'd rather be robbed by a crackhead in the street than by a lawyer in court.

to be hostile? ;)

Although it is how I feel about the hole situation, I will refrain.

4. ewenit

ewenit

Mar 6, 2007
    That's class baby.

5. jag-engr

jag-engr

Dec 21, 2006
    Mr. Glesser,

I must admit that when I first started using BladeForums, I was a little turned off toward Spyderco due to some antagonistic comments that people had in their taglines and rude posts on discussions about other knife companies.

Since acquiring several Spyderco knives (the Manix 83mm is currently my favorite folder) and having viewed this forum more, I have seen that your response to issues has been very civil and reasonable. I don't pretend to know the details of the lines of contention that many users like to drag out, but I applaud your taking the high road in this matter.

Keep up the good work!

Respectfully,

jag-engr

6. Bungwrench

Bungwrench Banned by Moderators

Dec 21, 2006
    Taking the high road is a lot easier said than done. Nice job Mr. Glesser!

Yesterday I privately talked to Mr. Glesser (via PM) about how I handled myself in the "other thread" and we understand each other better now.

I would like to apologize for even participating in the other thread.

7. TIR

TIR Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Pure class!
    Thanks for the post Sal.:thumbup:

8. Jim (Oh)

Jim (Oh)

Jan 7, 2006
    done! and thank you for the voice of reason

Jim

9. DaveH

DaveH

Dec 2, 1999
    perhaps this should be a forum sticky?

10. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    I will sticky this thread.

Also note that anyone posting in this forum with a negative and antagonistic sig line will be hit with a "Signature Rule Violation". No warning will be given and it will be removed if you haven't done so on your own. Sal is in charge of this forum and his wishes should be granted. I will see to it that they are. The last thing any company needs is people stirring the pot for them, a pot they definitely do not want a part of. Sal does not need anyone fighting his battles for him. The issue at hand has been handled in the past and should remain in the past. The "hole' issue has been rehashed numerous times and it is time to step away from it and enjoy the forum without hostility towards anyone....rival company and member alike.

So please enjoy the forum and use it in a respectful manner.

Thanks.

11. christopher

christopher Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 7, 1998
    Dear Sal,

You are definitely the class of this industry. I'm proud to have been a Spyder fan and owner since 1983. Bought my first at the Great Western Stock Show. The clip and the hole intrigued me and the beauty of their simplicity and functionality has never worn off.

Thank you Sal,

Chris:) :) :)

12. fudo

fudo

Aug 27, 1999
    You're a class act Sal:thumbup:

13. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    ditto. never seen other companies boast of such charismatic and gentlemanly management. :thumbup:

14. kymooseman

kymooseman

Sep 5, 2005
    I am impressed. Even thought I am new to knives, Spyderco just took a step up in my book!

15. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi.

Thanx for all of the kind comments. They are good for my ego, but in reality, I cannot claim all credit.

Spyderco is made up of a small group of "like-minded-people" developed over many years. They have their own very strong core values. They always try to do the right things for the right reasons, and conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. It is not likely that they would permit improper behavior in product or practice, with or without me.

Many decisions are made each day by this team. I will say that I'm proud to be part of the Spyderco team.

sal

16. swknight

swknight

Aug 2, 2007
    Positive is an American trait like: ;)

Original Pioneer Spirit
    Can Do no matter what
    Able to see a solution to a problem
    management and common sense.

Thanks SAL.

Steve

17. johnny reb

johnny reb Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Very good point. Input from customers should help to make a better product, not to make them feel like they have a crappy product. I bought my first Spydreco about 15 years ago, since then my collection has grown to about 18. Some of them are not perfect. But the thing I like about Spyderco. is that they upgrade models, to make them better. I don`t know anything about the "round hole" issue, but it works fine with me. As kids , growing up, we all learned not to buy knives made in Japan, because they weren`t good knives. Spyderco changed that for me.

18. kr1

kr1

May 30, 2006
    When I was a kid my dad told me most things made out of metal made in Japan was made from melted down American beer cans, you know. Before they went to aluminum. In the 50's and early 60's as a kid I think he was probably right. I know that everyone considered stuff from Japan back then to be cheap and usually junk and pretty much a joke. They started to get their act together through the late 60's and 70's and haven't stopped. No one is laughing now. Japan makes excellant steel and electronics and automobiles. I have many spyderco knifes including my EDC and the ones I use for personal use on the Fire Department and no one, certainly not me, considers them a joke.

KR

19. oldscrimmer

oldscrimmer

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm new to the forum, and this is undoubtedly the best of the best, handled in a gentleman's manner! Objectivity is what it's all about, take it from an old man who's been there....done that for more years than many of you have lived! I live in "redneck" country, and am sick of selfish, mindless people picking on others for their own ego boost. You've got my vote Sal....as my customers say, "Spyderco rocks".

20. HaroldB

HaroldB

Dec 9, 2007
    +1,000,000 to that!
    Class, great products and great customer service will always keep a loyal patronage.
    Thanks Sal and gang ~ ; - )