1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

real life axe work Tiaga style

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by markv, Sep 2, 2012.

1. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
  2. zcd

zcd

Jun 6, 2012
    Nice find!

3. boerboel84

boerboel84

Aug 10, 2010
    amazing film:eek: thats a hard life!!
    thanks for sharing :)

4. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Wow, really cool video. thanks

dave

5. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    thanks for sharing. good catch

6. BobSig

BobSig Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2011
    I like it already and its just the first 2 second showing the statues boob.

This guy is awesome. I learned something new today, thats for sure.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. zcd

zcd

Jun 6, 2012
    His triple wedge board making.. pure awesome

8. slaroy

slaroy

Jul 9, 2012
    Excellent video, lots to learn from this video through the whole thing... Thanks for posting!

9. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    That's a cool vid! Thanks!

10. A Visitor

A Visitor

Jan 19, 2009
    Great vid. Tough people, nature doesn't tolerate fools. Funny how the native population seems ruined by "civilization".. trappers were imported by the comunist government to continue the tradition. I wonder if they worked as hard when the fruit of their labor when into someone elses pocket.

11. willseeyalater

willseeyalater

Jan 7, 2012
    I watched the whole video and the content overall was good as far as skills and working in their environment but the comments on the native folks seemed to rehash sterotypes of them as alcoholics and lazy. It seems like they breeze over the reality that for many people of asian or proto-asian descent their ability to metabolize alcohol is not nearly as efficient as europeans so it does not take much to really keep them messed up. If civilization had come but left the vodka back in Moscow maybe they would have retained their accumulated skills but it never works that way. Anyhow, the 'Happy People' title seems to gloss over the folks who have to live on the edge of subsistence and likely have health issues that probably shorten their lives by the looks of some of the dental sets they were packing.

12. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    i noticed several similarities to our American natives. Werner loves a dramatic scenario with a close to the bone struggle making his classic Herzog style tend toward the awesome.

i let skewed (cinema) realism X philosophy slide. i give it a pass and enjoy the ideal, but it never hurts to peer through this ----film---- and see what else it is.

i liked the video, i don't get to travel to remote places like Siberia, or the Gobi,or Inner Mongolia when i do go somewhere i am not a tourist, i'm simply a traveler. what is their "there everyday" is good enough for me too. working up birch timber ,making skis, and other tools of survival is mentioned in "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" and "The Long Walk" . this video actually shows this work .

buzz

13. zcd

zcd

Jun 6, 2012
    I had a chance to finish watching the whole video. It left me kind of depressed actually, but definitely a good watch

14. BobSig

BobSig Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2011
    The triple wedge was awesome, I havent finished it yet, had to stack some wood but I hope it isnt too depressing. Ill finish the vid soon, it was good as far as I got to the canoe making.

15. scruffuk

scruffuk Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Someone (re)posted this in WSS.

Just wanted to say thank here too. Great film.

That canoe was incredible. The skill of the trappers with their tools too was also very impressive.

Thanks again.

16. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Fantastic book! Unbelievable hardship endured. It's a must read.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    Thats a great video, I bet that ol' boy is tough as a pine knot..

18. schmittie

schmittie

Nov 28, 2009
    The mrs and I watched it last night while polishing off the last of my deer loins. She even said it was outstanding. Thanks for posting it up!

19. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for posting, lots of interesting things to see.

20. DeadFall27

DeadFall27 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for posting, I am saving the rest of the video for later. I wish that I could experience a life like this for a while, just to know what it is like...