Regular sebenza...?

Hi guys,
I just bought a large regular sebenza, I don't have it yet but it should be here in the next few days.
It's a 2001 BG-42 in great condition...:)
It's my first time buying a used sebenza so a little nervous...
What should I expect from this knife? Any thoughts on the steel, blade shape...etc anything that I should know about the different TI handle?

I'm super excited and thought I could get some more info from you guys to make the wait a little less painful...:)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and as always, I love this community!
Alex

Great find first off, I really like the way BG-42 sharpens up and holds a fine edge. The only concern I have about a used one is pinched washers. Even then if you disassemble it, that can be corrected. If the scales are to scratched up for your use it can be sent in for a "spa treatment" at a very reasonable cost and I believe they sharpen it at the same time. So all in all you got a great knife that will hold its value and give you years of service.

Great find first off, I really like the way BG-42 sharpens up and holds a fine edge. The only concern I have about a used one is pinched washers. Even then if you disassemble it, that can be corrected. If the scales are to scratched up for your use it can be sent in for a "spa treatment" at a very reasonable cost and I believe they sharpen it at the same time. So all in all you got a great knife that will hold its value and give you years of service.
Thanks for your input!!!
The scales look pristine on the pictures and lockup maybe at 30-40% so I'm pretty happy...:)

Thanks for your input!!!
The scales look pristine on the pictures and lockup maybe at 30-40% so I'm pretty happy...:)

Sounds like a great find, congrats! I'm sure you will be very happy with it and the best part is you can always send it back in for that CRK spa treatment. My Large Regular Sebbie(S30V) is one of my favorite knives and is on its' way back to me from the spa as I type this(just got the call from CRK(Heather):D).

The large Regular with BG-42 blade is perhaps the best folding knife of all time, it's something to be quite happy about indeed. :p:thumbup:

Alex, I EDC'd a BG-42 large for ten years, it is absolutely one of the finest knives I ever had. The steel takes and holds an edge better than any other stainless I have tried, the high hollow blade grind (most likely done by Scott Cook) and good belly make for a great cutting tool. And I find the handle pleasing to hold and behold.

Enjoy your new knife!

James, let me please ask, in light of all the recent buzz about lock wear, what was the condition of the lock when you stopped carrying it? How would you describe the lock travel over the course of 10 years? How many times per day would you say you opened/closed it?

And out of curiousity, what do you edc now? :)

Thanks!

Alex, I EDC'd a BG-42 large for ten years, it is absolutely one of the finest knives I ever had. The steel takes and holds an edge better than any other stainless I have tried, the high hollow blade grind (most likely done by Scott Cook) and good belly make for a great cutting tool. And I find the handle pleasing to hold and behold.

Enjoy your new knife!

I agree with the post above, as does my 1996 small Regular.

James, let me please ask, in light of all the recent buzz about lock wear, what was the condition of the lock when you stopped carrying it? How would you describe the lock travel over the course of 10 years? How many times per day would you say you opened/closed it?

Thanks!

My pretty well-used 1996 small Regular got to last year (2011) before needing any kind of service. CRK fixed it up fast and free. :thumbup:

Thanks!

The lock, heck the whole knife, is in great shape, just about 60% travel. Let's say I carried it five days a week for ten years opening it at least ten times a day, so 25,000 cycles. I could easily carry it another ten years, I only stopped because they were becoming rare an I wanted to try out my current work EDC, an Umnumzaan. I'm using a large Micarta Insingo on the my days off.

Back