1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

REI Flash 18

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Sufler, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Finally had a chance to check this pack out a bit more thoroughly last night at REI. Very cool little pack. It's been suggested on here before with my thread about a draw-string sack. Another $35 would buy a 75 oz. Camelbak bladder that I guess would work well with the Flash.

Anyway... any more "on the ground" experiences with this pack?

Thanks!

2. csikari

csikari

Feb 15, 2012
    I have owned two. Both fell apart after relativlty little use and had to be returned. Fortunatly, REI has a decent return policy -- you just eat shipping. The last time, I upgraded to a Marmot ($50) and could not be happier. Hope this helps.

3. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Which Marmot bag did you purchase? $35 seems a bit steep for the Flash 18 - it's a 19.99 type of bag. :D

4. csikari

csikari

Feb 15, 2012
    Kompressor Plus. More durable, still very light and many more features than the flash 18.

5. Scott Free

Scott Free Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I have three of the older style Flash 18. They've been overstuffed in both volumn and weight, and have been used quite a bit. All are still going strong.

6. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Yeah, I too have an older Flash and it's held up quite well. I've used it as a "stuff sack" in my larger backpack and then once "base camp" was set up, the Flash served as a day pack for essentials. It has as lot of potential, but if the newer ones are crap according to csikari's experiences, you may want to give them a try. If they don't stand up, REI does have a great return policy and you can keep looking.

ROCK6