Remington 710 30-06 ??????

tueller

Basic Member
Hi guys, a friend just offered me a great deal on a rem 710 model rifle in the 30-06 caliber. I wanted to hear from my friends on the forum and get some feedback on that rifle. My concerns are that the rifle has been discontinued and what are its drawbacks to the rem 700 since it was a cheaper model. Thanks and I appreciate any help.

What's a great deal? $150? The 710 was made as an inexpensive (read as cheap) rifle. It is safe and probably accurate. They have very little resale value. I see them offered for around $250 with no takers.
There was safety recall. I believe that you can check the serial number on the Remington site.

I guess it depends on what you want in a rifle. If you just want something that goes bang it will probably be fine, but expect to be stuck with it.

Thx for the input. The offer was for 250 which I thought was solid but I am now starting to rethink. As far as how I would use it- well I have handguns, a Winchester defender tact shotgun, an ak and some 22's... So I wanted something that I could learn to hunt with and work on some long range marksmenship. My friend said he bought it new, put 20 rounds through it, then it sat unused. It needs a good cleaning but looks good other than that. Btw I can trust my friend's description of use but he does not know much about the rifle either. Where do you think the price needs to be for me to buy it instead of it being worth paying more for a 700 or a savage?

Get a savage or tika...

The remington 700 they make now are cookie cutter guns, hard trigger and bolt play are a big turn off for me (this is all my experience from them at gun stores)

If its an older one, it should be a good gun, they used to make them a lot nicer

I've looked at the new Remington American and it seems like a good gun for the price, only thing I didn't like was the stock, to light and plastic

Thanks guys I appreciate the input but I don't want this to turn into what rifle is better. I realize u get what you pay for and the 710 is a cheaper model. But at some price point it's got to be worth it and maybe I could get a good deal and keep my friend from getting robbed at a gun store. But if that is not the case and the rifle is such junk that I should just walk away, please let me know. Thx again. Always great having BF's member help that I can trust.

$250 sounds like a fair price. You can't get much fro $250 these days. Be sure to figure in the price of a scope and rings in what the total cost will be.

I wouldn't call it junk, but as said before, you get what you pay for. Ultimately, you have to decide what you want.

Since he is a friend, ask to shoot it before committing to purchase..that shooting experience..mechanicals, trigger pull, overall appearance and target..should make a go - no-go decision easy. If he has no preferred ammunition..Remington Power Point 150 gr shoot pretty good in my 30-06 rifles.

Best.

My brother owns one chambered in .270 it's an inexpensive rifle, and not much to write home about. Mediocre trigger, stiff action, and serviceable accuracy (bout an inch and a half at a hundred yards). I killed a black bear with it on one occasion, and he's killed a plethora of deer and two black bear with it, also it's been loaned out to a friend who's killed a couple of whitetails with it. It's done its job by all means and paid for itself, but even at that I couldn't see spending over $200 on one. They're economy rifles IMHO.

If it included scope and rings, that's a decent price. On the high side of decent, but you could do worse. One of my best friends owns the 710 in 30-06. It's a very utilitarian rifle that has put many deer, hog, goats, elk, antelope, and nilgai in the freezer.

I love the 30-06. I don't own or shoot one as I prefer the .308, but the '06 can give you heavier bullets, and ammo is easier to find than just about any other caliber. I recommend the caliber to anyone looking for "one rifle."

Shoot it with several loads if he'll let you. If you like it, then it's worth it.

Tip: If you want to work on long range marksmanship you need an accurate, consistent rifle. I would definitely recommend shooting it first- see how the trigger feels and how it groups (off a rest). It's possible it could be a real prize, but not very likely.

Back when I was shopping hard, Tikka seemed like the best bang for the buck- that was years ago, so things may have changed.

Back