1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

reverse curved fixed blade question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shanshui75, Oct 15, 2004.

1. shanshui75

shanshui75

Oct 5, 2004
    does anyone know of a fixed blade with a reverse curve sharpened on top, serrated with blunt tip? something like a la griffe (sp?), spot, or bear claw with the blade flipped upside down. i work rescue and it would be great for seatbelts, swiftwater, etc. every "rescue" knife that i have, and it's a lot, has a handle that is designed to cut away, but most every cut is towards me, away from the victim.

any ideas?

kevin

2. Knifeclerk

Knifeclerk

Jul 16, 2004
    Check out the newest blade magazine. There is a production karambit in there with a blunted tip. I want to say that it's Spyderco, but I think that's wrong. But I think that's close to what you're looking for.
    -KC

3. shanshui75

shanshui75

Oct 5, 2004
    thanks,
    galls carries a rescue karambit for $150 made by tarami. is this the same one? never heard of the company and the price is way too much for a blade that will eventually be lost, destroyed, or worse.

i like the idea of a fixed blade. don't always have the time to open a folder.

i also believe that it would not allow for the way i like to cut: in from bottom, pull towards me, and on to the next problem.

kevin

4. S2nd

S2nd

Oct 6, 2004
    Hmmm... I think the blade shape you're referring to is a Hawkbill. Are you looking for something like this in a fixed-blade? http://www.quickknife.com/swch004.html

Also, I know they make tools specifically designed to cut through seatbelts, like these: http://www.theknifestore.com/united.html It's that little notch on the bottom, and from what I hear, they cut through seatbelts faster and safer than you could do with a blade.

5. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    shanshui75, I can't recall ever seeing a knife like you're describing except for pikal knives, which were all plain edge -- and expensive.

S2nd's idea is a good one, in fact, Benchmade has a cutter designed specifically for that, the Rescue Hook.

The model 5 is smaller, and the nylon case is worse than useless -- the Hook just drops out. You have to get the kydex sheath.

The Model 6 is probably a better bet, because it has a much better grip, so it won't get lost or dropped as easily. You can get it cheaper here.

6. shanshui75

shanshui75

Oct 5, 2004
    thanks for the help guys.

i have a rescue hook. it's pretty good for webbing and seatbelts but larger diameter ropes overwhelm it.

a hawksbill blade is exactly what i am looking for but i want it fixed and upside down with a blunt tip.

should i look into custom? what's the going price range for random stuff like this?

kevin

7. Will P.

Will P.

Mar 26, 2004
    Might want to take a look at shivworks.com. You could grind the tip off one of their knives.

8. shanshui75

shanshui75

Oct 5, 2004
    yeah, yeah, yeah! okay, so that shivworks got me going and then i found anso knives which even has big ol' serrations but a couple hundred bucks is way out of my price range (see earlier about probable fate). are there production versions of knives like these?

9. Josh Muller

Josh Muller

Jun 22, 2003