robert hawk knives

found an ad for him in backwoodsman mag, after reading somewhere else???about his knives and his style. he doesnt do internet, tho quite willing to chat on the phone. originally wrote him a letter, yes snail mail. he wrote right back and sent a brochure. i dug his knives right off. tho i havent asked him about other designs, he only advertises one knife design. its a drop point hunter style, aol 8.5", blade 4.5" with 3.9" cutting edge. 5/32" thick and 1.5 width blade. 0-1 tool steel that he blues. dymo wood handles. really a lovely knife, came really sharp. one thing i am liking is the bail notch. a tad less than 2" in from blade tip on spine is a notch for picking up a pot off the fire. besides being a delight to converse with he makes one decent tool. just wondering if any ya'll have one of his knives? and what ya'll think bout the bail notch? it works perfectly tho the only pot ive lifted off the fire so far is a small ss pot. didnt weigh that much, cant quite see lifting off the dutch oven-tho i only use that for car camping anyways.

roberthawk.jpg

btw-he's outta ferndale wa
found his address:
robert hawk
1042 w. 58th lane
ferndale, wa 98248

Last edited:
I remember his ads too, and the "notch" Looks like a solid woods design, and his prices are reasonable.

his price for what ya get is great imho. the notch is a solid design. it is a stock removal blade, not forged. write him at addy above and he will send ya right out a brochure. good guy.

Knifemaker Jim Ferguson has done a lot of research on knives of the 1800s and Old West. He told me that there were a fair number of knives from that period that looked like they had a gut hook, but it was actually a notch for lifting pots. A little more pronounced than the notch on the subject knife, but the same idea. I like it a great deal!

DancesWithKnives

is his research published anywere? id love to read it. find myself fascinated wth old knives and knife history

would it also be possible to add blade pressure while pushing something into the notch while cutting?shaping something?

Sadiejane,

Unfortunately not. However, you can see some of his work at www.twistednickel.com. I have a bunch of his knives and push daggers and always wanted one of his hawks.

DancesWithKnives

Slick knife. Useless sheath.
I have a real problem with these sheathes today that don't have a retention strap.
Especially the little " bushcraft" models. Kydex is the worst of the lot.
I spend too much time in the brambles, or falling ass over appetite, to be able to keep a knife in a 'pouch'.

Ive had pouch sheaths that snapped tighter then kydex, and were in there alot stronger then the snap that holds the knife in retention strap sheaths. With a deep pouch style sheath, youd be hard pressed to get that sucker to fall out. Now, on the other hand, Ive unsnapped a few sheaths retention straps and lost knives altogether.

sadiejohn - I know it might be some work but if you have the capability you might want to post a copy of his Brochure to add info to the thread.

I like the looks of the knife and would like to hear your thoughts after you have used it a bit.

Thanks for sharing.

very cool SJ.. that's good to know man...:thumbup: looks like a cool little blade, and very functional design.. i have wanted to check out his knives for a while now... i had seen some pictures of one on another forum and thought they didn't look too bad...:)

the sheath looks pretty well made too and appears to be wet formed to the design of the knife...

Ive seen the add a couple of times in the backwoodsman, how much was the price on that knife.

Slick knife. Useless sheath.
I have a real problem with these sheathes today that don't have a retention strap.
Especially the little " bushcraft" models. Kydex is the worst of the lot.
I spend too much time in the brambles, or falling ass over appetite, to be able to keep a knife in a 'pouch'.

You need to remember that this sheath is wetformed. If you look closely at the sheath you see that it is formed in such a way that the knife 'snaps' into the leather. When I finish a sheath like this, I have a tough time getting it out when trying - it breaks in and makes this easier - but still very safe.

When I am done I turn the knife upside down in the sheath and shake it. It usually doesn't move at all.

Unless you often fall over and then get shaken repeatedly whilst upsidedown - I think the sheath is great.

But maybe this is how you hike - in which case - I want to come along! ;)

I think it is a matter of a sheath being well made and preference for keepers or not - as opposed to being 'worthless'.

TF

I have his brochure, sorry no way right now to upload it. Very nice person, we talked for a few minutes, he will custom make the knife for you for additional $ of course. The knife seems extremely solid for the materials used and he brings the finished product to 60-65 on the hardness scale. Says he grinds and forms the blade. Then using a proprietary process, the blade is heat treated, tempered & cryogenically treated to 60-65 Rockwell hardness this holds the sharpness of the blade longer then cold blues it. Been thinking about his knife as well, shopping around for the same materials and length is much more than what Robert charges and he will customize it for you if you like.

Last edited:
I like wood scales and o-1 steel. Looks like a keeper .let us know how it works out for you.
Jeff

Last edited:
Back