SAK storage compartment ideas

I was playing around with stuff that you can store under the parcel hook, and these a few of the ideas that I came up with.

a.jpg

b3.jpg

If you cut the end of a match off, it will barely fit under the parcel hook. You need to get the length just right before the hook is able to close all the way down flat. A strike-anywhere match would probably be best, because the file texture on the back of the parcel hook will NOT work as a match striking surface for regular matches. This is a great thing to pair with a Firefly or Fire Ant ferro rod accessory, because when the match head flares up, it will help you start your fire with your ferro rod more easily. You can also cut off a strip of the match striking surface from the matchbox and bring it with you if you want. The match striking strip will store quite nicely in a Compact model SAK if you jam it between the main knife blade and the combo tool.

I was thinking that if you cut off just the heads, you could maybe fit 2 or 3 of them in there. šŸ¤”

c2.jpg

Cotton is another great fire starting material and you can stuff a pretty good amount of it in the parcel hook slot. You could probably also add some Vaseline or oil to the cotton if you want to improve its effectiveness and give it a little water proofing. This is another great thing to carry with a Firefly or Fire ant ferro rod accessory for your SAK.

d2.jpg

For this last one, I folded a post-it note like an accordion and then cut it down to size. This is a great way to store something that you might need to remember. You can write anything on it. On mine I wrote the Morse code for numbers 1-9 and 0. The drawback to this is if it gets wet. You could use some type of wax paper instead and it would be more water resistant.

What else do you think you could fit in there? Some fishing line, maybe? Sewing thread? What other ideas can you come up with? šŸ¤”

Last edited:
the file texture on the back of the parcel hook
Is the file texture on the back of the hook something new, or only on certain models?

The Huntsman I carried daily from 1997 to 2020 had a smooth/mirror polished hook.

My 2021 'Year of the Ox' Huntsman's hook is smooth/mirror polished as well. No file texture on it or any other blade.
For this last one, I folded a post-it note like an accordion and then cut it down to size. This is a great way to store something that you might need to remember. You can write anything on it. On mine I wrote the Morse code for numbers 1-9 and 0. The drawback to this is if it gets wet. You could use some type of wax paper instead and it would be more water resistant.

You can also rub a candle/candle wax or bees wax over your writing to make it water resistant/water proof.

Waxing is an old trick used in the days of dip pens and fountain pens when using inks that were not water resistant or waterproof, and that feature or attribute was needed ... addressing a letter or package, for example.

Last edited:
Is the file texture on the back of the hook something new, or only on certain models?

The Huntsman I carried daily from 1997 to 2020 had a smooth/mirror polished hook.

My 2021 'Year of the Ox' Huntsman's hook is smooth/mirror polished as well. No file texture on it or any other blade.

It's only been on a few different models and I think the only ones that are still left in production are the Compact, Traveler, and the XXL version of the Swiss Champ, which has two hooks (one with the file and one without it).

You can also rub a candle/candle wax or bees wax over your writing to make it water resistant/water proof.

Waxing is an old trick used in the days of dip pens and fountain pens when using inks that were not water resistant or waterproof, and that feature or attribute was needed ... addressing a letter or package, for example.

Unfortunately I think adding wax to the post-it paper would make it too thick to fit. Post-it paper is already a little thick as it is. The thinner the paper, the more of it you can fit.

A few years ago I bought a pack of the Firefly fire starter rods -- the one designed to fit in the toothpick slot. Recently the head came off the one in my Fieldmaster but, thanks to the pin I carry in the provided slot behind the Phillips driver I was able to coax the Firefly out. I put the toothpick back in its place since I've found that I have more use for that than the fire starter. šŸ˜ Looking at your suggestion here, I tried putting the damaged Firefly under the parcel hook. I had to cut the rod in half for it to fit, but it does fit, and even being that short it is still functional. Fantastic suggestion, thanks! :cool:

The folded Post-it is an interesting idea and I'm going to explore uses for it (passwords, perhaps?). It might be possible to hide a small note under some of the other tools, although the pin would probably be needed to get it out. One comment though, as an experienced Morse operator: I can't think of any Morse characters that are easier to remember and less in need of "writing down" than the numbers! :oops:

I tried putting the damaged Firefly under the parcel hook. I had to cut the rod in half for it to fit, but it does fit, and even being that short it is still functional.
nice!
as an experienced Morse operator: I can't think of any Morse characters that are easier to remember and less in need of "writing down" than the numbers!
Yeah I wanted to write out the whole alphabet (using both sides of the paper), but I got impatient and I figured it was quicker and easier to just write the numbers. I couldn't really think of anything else to put for the picture, so I went with what was fastest (I was lazy).

This is probably cheating, but the Tool Drawer SAK can handle a Ferro Cerium Rod, SIM Card vault key, sewing needle, safety pin, fish hook, SAK toothpick, wooden toothpick, SAK pen, SAK tweezers, straight pin, dental flossing pick, etc. Just not all at once.IMG_4643.pngIMG_4642.png

This is probably cheating, but the Tool Drawer SAK ...

For the purposes of this particular topic, I would say that it does in fact count as cheating if you have purchased an expensive custom SAK with machined scales which have a built-in drawer. ;)

Back