Scandi grind with a file?

Yep. The no skill, and no time nature of the grind is actually why it exists. Historically. Its an easy to manufacture no frills pump em out grind that has been mass produced for a long time.

Create some way to set your file at 12.5 degrees to the blade and put a flat to zero 25 degree inclusive grind on your knife, then finish with stones.

I do it with a jig that holds the knife at 12.5 degrees on a belt sander. It takes me 3 minutes to do the grind start to finish. I start with a used up 80 grit belt, then go to a used 220. Done. Once you learn when to dunk the knife to keep the temp down, its like automatic. I've not burned the temper off of one in over a year. Stinks when you do because the damn knife is all the way done when I do this step.

I can picture factory workers 100 years ago pumping out hundreds a day by the light of the grinding sparks. I hgad my 10 year old do one a couple of years ago just to proove a point. I don't have a high opinion of the grind. I make them because of customer demand. I think its a fad grind personally, and much overrated by the knife community. They excel at whittling. After that they suck at everything else. They don't cut leather well, they don't cut food well, they aren't good with meat, they are horrid skinners. Top if off with them having quite a precarious edge strength, and I really don't understand the demand.

But yes, a file will do them as well as anything else. AND, it would take a tenth as much filing as a nice flat sabergrind. That was the initial draw, of course.

I don't have a high opinion of the grind. I make them because of customer demand. I think its a fad grind personally, and much overrated by the knife community. They excel at whittling. After that they suck at everything else. They don't cut leather well, they don't cut food well, they aren't good with meat, they are horrid skinners. Top if off with them having quite a precarious edge strength, and I really don't understand the demand.

I thought I was the only one who thought that way.

I blame the popularity on UK TV bushcrafters.

I like the grind on moras, but anything thicker and they just don't do much for me at all, it's just a wedge.

Yep. The no skill, and no time nature of the grind is actually why it exists. Historically. Its an easy to manufacture no frills pump em out grind that has been mass produced for a long time.

I make them because of customer demand. I think its a fad grind personally, and much overrated by the knife community. They excel at whittling. After that they suck at everything else. They don't cut leather well, they don't cut food well, they aren't good with meat, they are horrid skinners. Top if off with them having quite a precarious edge strength, and I really don't understand the demand.

Wow. I thought I was the only one who held this opinion. But you forgot one other thing. They're ugly as sin also!

There must be a support group for people who dislike scandi grinds! :)

Is it possible to do a good scandi grind with a file?

Absolutely! You can do scandi's, sabres, full-flats and various convex grinds with a file. Take your time and follow Fiddleback's tips. :thumbup:

OK, here's my off-topic rant... :D

I like the grind on moras, but anything thicker and they just don't do much for me at all, it's just a wedge.

I think that's really the crux of the issue. We'd also do well to keep in mind that in actual Scandinavia, these type knives are regarded as basically disposable. They certainly aren't a cult item like they seem to be in the UK and USA. There's a reason they cost $15 after being shipped across an ocean ;)

On a sub-.100" blade, "scandi" grinds can be very keen indeed... I have no problem at all with thin blades, zero-grinds and perhaps microbevels. I prefer stock more on the order of .050" for such knives, and I don't use the cheapest stuff I can get... but hey, that's just me.

But when I see people putting half a grind or less on larger, thicker knives simply because it's cool/trendy/whatever, it just makes me think they're too dang cheap/lazy to grind a proper knife. Done wrong, a "scandi" is sort of the mini-version of a sharpened prybar, only worse... cuts just as poorly, without the heavy-duty prybar part.

Thank you for saying what many of us were thinking, Fiddleback. :)

I see WAY too many first knives being the scandiest of scandi grind because folks are just too impatient or lazy to keep at it until the bevel goes more than a quarter of the way up the blade.

Back