1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

short shortsword

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Ultra, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Ultra

Ultra

Sep 20, 2007
    Hey

I'm looking for a short sword, for very close combat. It must also be able to slash, so it has to be a leaf-shaped blade.

Now, I am FULLY aware of the fairbarn combat smatchet, so mods please kick out anyone who links to one after this warning, thanks. The smatchet in question does not have enough length for my needs.

There is also a bronze swordmaker who makes a model called the "ewart park", this is perfect in shape and construction, but too LONG.

I need something inbetween those two, 30-35 cm. long leaf shaped blade, as short handle as possible (no longer than 15 cm.) Preferrably steel, but anything flies. And yes, it's gonna be used and not for stage combat either..., so make sure it is made to be used.

Please help, as my googling skills have run out.

2. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    I don't know, it might be too long (27" OAL), but the HI Falcata looks to be a "user".
    [​IMG]

Although, and my metric-american conversions arn't all that good, isn't 30cm just over a foot long? That's more "big knife" size than shortsword, yes? Maybe a large Bowie would be in order?

3. Ultra

Ultra

Sep 20, 2007
    I think you'll find that a foot long blade is a formidable size for a knife :) In fact, the crossover between a knife and a sword is somewhere between 25 and 30 cm, that is 10 and 12 inches.

The blade I'm looking for is DOUBLE EDGED and 12-14 inches long. But thanks anyway :)

4. jahwarrior72

jahwarrior72

Mar 3, 2007
    do you mean something like a roman glaidus?

5. Ultra

Ultra

Sep 20, 2007
    anything flies. But the leaf shaped blade is more efficient.

6. H2OCutter

H2OCutter

Mar 11, 2007
    Are you lokking for something like this Celtic blade length is around 52cm overall is 70 cm.
    [​IMG]

7. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper

Oct 28, 2006
    Have you looked into the Applegate Fairbairn Smatchet.

[​IMG]

8. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Don't be absurd, what he really needs is an Applegate Fairbairn Smatchet...

[​IMG] :D:D:D

9. Grappler1911

Grappler1911 Banned BANNED

May 20, 2003
    Barong or Khukuri.

10. Hard H2O

Hard H2O

Aug 10, 2007
    Is there some sort of ultimate combat sword league starting up? If there is keep us posted. I do not know if you are aware of it but the Applegate Fairbairn Smatchet might suit your needs:

[​IMG]

Your tone is kind of demanding for such a short tenure on the site.

Are you incapable of doing your own research? You seem to have your parameters set. SHould be easy to google swords and then weed out those that do not meet your specs.

11. rebeltf

rebeltf

Jan 29, 2005
    'ere ya go mate

[​IMG]

plus , it glows blue when Orcs are near.

12. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    come on mods...someone linked to a fairarn combat smatchet.....kick them out.

this made be giggle...not enough to pee myself....but close.

13. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    You might want to consider an Applegate Fairbairn Smatchet. . .

[​IMG]

14. bigkahunasix

bigkahunasix

Sep 13, 2006
    Man, it is kind of a leap from those pink elementary school scissors to a short sword, sure
    you don't want to try mommys pinking shears first.

15. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Has he been spending a lot of time at the beach this summer or is he an ancient Greek robot?

16. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    LOL! :D To be fair I think he's referring to Neil Burridge who does make bronze swords and implements and is trying to do it in as historically accurate a manner as possible. Neil's a really nice guy and does some fantastic work. I think he does have a good tan too, and it's entirely possible that he IS an ancient Greek robot!!! :eek:

17. tarmix101

tarmix101

Jun 14, 2005

Completely inappropriate for combat.

Go with a Applegate Fairbairn Smatchet.

[​IMG]

18. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Not unless his middle name is Talos. :cool:

19. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member