Should have I bought it?

I ws in an antique stote today and saw a Schrade usa trapper in wood. It was a Ducks Unlimited NIB with the box and a small either belt buckle or some bronze square stamp. The price was about $45.00. I know the answer. I think I f'ed up. It will probably be there a while. May be worth the 1.5 hour trip to get it?

I think you should have bought it while you were there, but youre not there now. So it depends what the mileage is of your vehicle, and how much you value your time. Seriously, if you can find it somewhere really close to you, or online for say $70 or less I'd say it's just as good. If you decide to go back to the antique shop, you have to spend about 3.5 hrs of your time, and however much money on gas. You could also call the antique shop and see if they could hold it for you, so then you can pick it up later sometime when youre already out in the same area of the antique shop.

So value is around 70 dollars. It's in a spot in the antique store that is kind of out of view so maybe when I'm in the area again it will still be there. I looked at google images and the only trapper that was a DU had a serrated spey blade, and the one I saw had etched blades.

SC00-CP163.jpg

Was it this one Steve? Sounds like it?

Last edited:
Should I have bought it?.....sounds like a good topic for discussion.How many times have you passed up what appears to be a deal on a knife or knives because you either are not sure of its value or it is a good deal but its not what you typically collect.This weekend I passed on an older(pre 50's) Schrade sleeveboard for $12 just because it has about 25% blade loss and the scales were wood(prefer jigged bone).But was closed it was a neet looking little knife.Now im'e kinda' kicking myself in the butt(done this a bunch of times)That said,If you liked the knife you could do as Matt suggests,call and try to have them hold it or have them ship it to you,the cost may easily offset the travel cost.
Greg

I agree, i'm sort of kicking myself.
Hal, the knife I saw had a rear bolster and a spey blade. Both blades were etched and I couldn't see the wooden box. The box around the knife was cardboard. Maybe the wooden box was underneath?

I agree, i'm sort of kicking myself.
Hal, the knife I saw had a rear bolster and a spey blade. Both blades were etched and I couldn't see the wooden box. The box around the knife was cardboard. Maybe the wooden box was underneath?

There is a serrated version, rather than saw blade. Unless it is the bone handled job, I would not kick too hard. There are always a slew of Ducks Unlimited knives on eBay, not particularly hard to get either.

The 87-88 looks like the one I saw. Whats the value of this one? I may go back and pick it up. It's quite possible it was bone. Looked like wood from where I was standing as it was smooth. Thanks Hal and Irv.

Back