1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

should I take the chance?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by fatcat55, Sep 2, 2012.

1. fatcat55

fatcat55

Jan 1, 2010
    Local store has a sale on Les Stroud's Camillus knives. I'm giving serious consideration to spending a whopping $25 on the folder just to see first hand what I think of this knife regarding steel and overall quality. The folder is the only one that I might really use often enough to justify buying.

It is within the price range of the knives I usually buy but I wonder if I am too jaded or even a knife snob because it is 440 and considered by many to be a "gimmick" knife.

I don't buy anything remotely expensive but own some pretty satisfying knives under the $30 price point. Just received a Mora 2000 and CRKT minimalist bowie and wonder if the Camillus would be "backsliding"...LOL. Will let you know what I think of it if I do buy one tomorrow.

2. MattyLav

MattyLav

Jun 28, 2012
    You should get it. And if it turns out that you don't like it you can always sell it or trade it :)

3. hoxhunbe

hoxhunbe

Feb 6, 2012
    If you like Les or Survivorman (or hate Bear and his ripoff show ;)), get it. It's not very expensive, and regardless of everything it is or isn't, it'll still be a knife.

4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    No...

5. Bufford

Bufford Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Sounds like you want one. Go for it, its only $25 and it doesn't buy much gas or food these days.

6. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd get a RAT-1 with the money.

[​IMG]

It's prettier, too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Any knife that has someone's name on, you have to realize that is worked into the price.

For a 25 dollar knife, I would guess 5-10 bucks is going to Les Stroud. Good for him, but you are paying 25 bucks for what would normally be priced at 15-20 dollars.

8. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    I seriously doubt he's getting 20% of the cost in royalties. Probably more like 1-5%.

9. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    You are right, allow me to rephrase.

You might be paying 5-10 bucks EXTRA because his name is on it. Part would go to him and part would go to the company as a premium