Show Us Your Discontinued Benchmades

You're wrong. It's Blue Star.
BM886.jpg

My Dark Star with other BM's discontinued now:

MI9wkRw.jpg

bKxZADw.jpg

First was Sentinel
010-1.jpg

Then Dark Star and Blue star was the last.

Sentinel - blue liner, alloy scales, also without stop pin, thumb stud was doing stop pin work
Dark Star - yellow/gold liners and full G-10 scales
Blue Star - combination of those two - blue liners and G-10 scales but shaped like in Sentinel.

All of them are based on Elishewitz Phantom, custom design from 1998.
5747_open_L1.jpg

15101613_341094279603967_4191691191005216768_n.jpg

Rest of pics - google graphics

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes..."

And now I know the difference, and still lose more brain cells in the process. :cool:

And now I know the difference, and still lose more brain cells in the process. :cool:

You're not alone in the lost brain cells department, Joe. Some of them have left on their own with age, but it was fun killin' some of the others. :p
--Steve

Thanks Steve, plus kudos to Ourgon for the details about difference between Dark and Blue folders. Learned something today, so will put some brain calls back in my head. :D

Well, we gotta head back to the Cape today from our woodsy retreat in Vermont. I was gonna put a fresh edge on my mini Dark Star to match the one I put on the full-size, but I ended up reprofiling my old favorite 710 workhorse instead. It took some time just to get from 20 p/s to 18 through that tougher-than-nails D2 and I ended up putting a 20 micro on it anyway. The old guy cuts like a scalpel now, though.

cqHZ4Ri.jpg

These two are a couple of my lucky finds. It's hard to read the markings on the blades, but the top one is a 941BT and the bottom one is a 942.

Full size. Mini had logo printed on false edge and normal lanyard hole, full size has hidden pin for lanyard in backspacer.

Thanks for pointing out the logo difference. I thought it looked like a full size but wasn't sure. The liners look blue, that's what I was wondering about. The Sentinel has different scales and has the thumbstuds in a different location, so what exactly is that knife? Or are my eyes just playing tricks on me? As far as I know, there wasn't a full size Blue Star, just a 886 Blue Star that was the same size as the mini Darkstar.

For a little change of pace, here's a pair that's disco'd but neither stock nor old-school. The Ritter Grips were great blades both for shape and the M390 steel--great slicers, great edge retention, and wicked sharp. The stock Griptilian handles are just awful, though. I have 5 Grips and none of them are stock--3 of them have Igordeds and these two have Kevin Wilkins coarse G10s on them. This, of course, pretty much doubles the investment in each knife, but KW's reinvention of the handle shape is excellently palm-filling and turns these two into favorite carries for me.

LCmA30W.jpg

i31fkwR.jpg

The Ritter is another one that I don't understand why it got dropped. Surely it was more popular than some of the stuff that stayed in the lineup. Anyway, here's a few short lived Bone Collectors....

SAM_5927.jpg~original

15030-2 Mini Axis (walnut)
15050 Large lockback (micarta)
15055-1 Small lockback (g-10)

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out the logo difference. I thought it looked like a full size but wasn't sure. The liners look blue, that's what I was wondering about. The Sentinel has different scales and has the thumbstuds in a different location, so what exactly is that knife? Or are my eyes just playing tricks on me? As far as I know, there wasn't a full size Blue Star, just a 886 Blue Star that was the same size as the mini Darkstar.

Mine with black combo blade is Dark Star. Liners are gold, it's light on the pic.

Mine with black combo blade is Dark Star. Liners are gold, it's light on the pic.

Gotcha, I was confused there for a bit haha. Once I looked at it closer, I began to think it was just the lighting, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Anyway, here's a few short lived Bone Collectors....

I really like the Bone Collectors and think they were excellent utilitarian designs that looked great. It's a real shame they were discontinued. In fact, I haven't carried my 15030 for a while. My ZT 0450 & 0900 have been hogging pocket time. Maybe it's time to shake up my EDC again.

_DSC7844%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsdmqvolv6.jpg

690, 735, Pinnacle, AFCK

I'd forgotten how big the AFCK is until I had it next to the rest of the knives.

32779587880_8267661be2_b.jpg

Yes it was nasty....

I used a HB small "jewelry" Ultra Sonic Cleaner and it looks like they no longer sell it...
But Amazon has them.

They no longer sell the ultrasonic cleaner or the knife? :rolleyes: That model 830S was long ago discontinued. Yours looks like new after cleaning up, but can't find anything on Amazon. I knew a dealer that had a Brick 'N Mortar' store that stocked all kinds of ancient Benchmades, but he and his place were rare and it's been years. I'm sure both location and owner are gone by now.

Back