Shun kitchen knives

Those are all the "Premier", correct?

*Very nice set, by the way. :thumbsup:

After using them for many years, I can say they perform better than wusthof and henckles. Also prettier, and gift-ier. Now, they are a tad more brittle, so I'm more careful with them.

Great set Battey!!

Those are some nice looking knives, But I have a hard time thinking of it as a complete set, without a birds beak pairing knife. The birds beak pairing knife is one of mt two most used kitchen knives.

O.B.

Those are some nice looking knives, But I have a hard time thinking of it as a complete set, without a birds beak pairing knife. The birds beak pairing knife is one of mt two most used kitchen knives.

O.B.
Didn’t realize shun made one of those, I have that knife but not shun, it would make a nice addition

Nice set. The Shun geometry is great, but I found them a bit too soft. No chipping though. I still have the 8" Chef and boning knife, but I've given the other pieces away to family and have been getting custom kitchen knives made.

I've got:

Shun Fuji 8.5" Chef knife
Shun Kaji 7" hallow ground Santoku
Shun Kanso 7" Asian Utility
Shun dual core 8" kiritsuke
Shun classic lefty 6" utility (Petty)
Shun Kaji 4.5" p;aring

also

KAI Seki Magoroku 7" Nakiri (more than 30 years old--from Japan)
before there was Shun

doesn't mean I don't like Premier . . .

The Fuji 8.5" Chef Knife is my favorite

dual core Kiritsuke most beautiful

I've got about 30 high end kitchen knives in my rotation atm but I've tried just about everything under the sun. I only own 2 shun knives, both classic series. Mosty of the stuff I have in my rotation is much higher end than the shuns. That said, Shun is highly under rated by the Artisan snobs. For a mass market item anyone can walk into a bed bath and buy, these are some of the highest performance and just well executed knives you'll find. The grinds on them are good. the balance is good, the ergos is good. They're good knives. The fit and finish is good, not super high end, for instance they don't crown the spine, but otherwise very good compared to most "artisan" knives anywhere near the price range. Thats my take. Shun is 100% a buy. The grind on these is not like what you get on a lot of zwilling products like Miyabi, Shun does the core things right, like grinds, balance, ergos, does them right, same as all the domestic Japanese companies like Yaxell or Suncraft or whoever else. The single bevel dual core Shun is one of the coolest knives I've seen at any price point. Few things anywhere near it's price of $600 or whatever will have the same pizzazz for a ceremonial knife to cut up some fancy protein at your party. Therefore those who claim these are over priced, I'd just ask, compared to what? Compared to a yaxell, okay a little bit, but compared to most things out there? Not at all. It's the lower end Artisan knives, like Masakages, that are highly over rated and over priced imo.

41961.jpg

Last edited:
Shun has been producing very beautiful variants of dual technology, with a full line of "beesnest" knives they call Hikari, a variety sold in Europe called Nagare, and a limited edition family of three called Engetsu.

Back