Slingshot Holster tutorial

I posted this in my maxped 10x4 thread and had some requests for a how to. Awhile back I bought a nice Dankung slingshot, and I wanted to make a holster for it. Nothing fancy, just something to hold it to a belt or baldric or quiver. Nice to have "at the ready" for small game or plinking around.

Heres some pics...Ignore my 1st grader drawings. Still got some work to the edges, maybe more dye, and the waxing, but you get the idea.

Heres my tools...from left to right.....Awl, exacto, 4 prong punch, awl, Overstitch wheel, utility knife, Stitch groover
leather050.jpg

An Awl I made with a .357 shell handle.
leather048.jpg

Gettin it together..I used 9 oz veg tan.
leather047.jpg

Pieces cut....Make a templete from paper and trace and cut pieces.
leather051.jpg

This is where I changed it a bit. I dropped the ring I was going to put on the bottom to retain the band. The slingshots handle will work just fine. I removed the cordwrap on the slingshot because Im going to do a leather wrap on it sometime. Simple is sometimes better.
leather053.jpg

grooved, marked, punched, and dyed. The overstitch wheel and groover are a godsend, but it can be done with an awl and dinner fork.
leather054.jpg

after glue(DAP weldwood) and saddle stitch, and some more dye

leather049.jpg

leather052.jpg

leather056.jpg

On my Maxpedition 10x4 setup.
leather058.jpg

leather059.jpg

A slingshot is a handy item. Can be modded to shoot arrows, and weighs near nothing. A great survival item IMO.

Dont be intimidated. This is a very easy project that can be done with scraps.

Last edited:
Nice sheath! Nice slingshot you have there as well.

Thanks guys....

That slingshot is awesome and lightweight. Cheap too. Its a serious tool. With the extra power bands, and ball bearings I have for it, it packs a punch. :D

If I can ever get someone to help me learn to forge, Im forging me a slingshot like this one!!

Thanks guys....I like making my own gear when I can. Not too many people nowadays work on a project and see it through to the end. Usually folks just buy what they want or hire it out. Which with time at a premium, it sometimes makes sense. Leatherwork is fun, but addicting.

I posted this in my maxped 10x4 thread and had some requests for a how to. Awhile back I bought a nice Dankung slingshot mountain land for sale, and I wanted to make a holster for it. Nothing fancy, just something to hold it to a belt or baldric or quiver. Nice to have "at the ready" for small game or plinking around.

Heres some pics...Ignore my 1st grader drawings. Still got some work to the edges, maybe more dye, and the waxing, but you get the idea.

A slingshot is a handy item. Can be modded to shoot arrows, and weighs near nothing. A great survival item IMO.

Dont be intimidated. This is a very easy project that can be done with scraps.

the craftsmanship on this is extremely thorough nice work

Back