Small Fix Blade

Razor

Gold Member
I have kinda got burnt out on folders and was thinking about try carrying a small fix blade instead. I was looking at the BR little Creek and BHK's long trail. Do any of you carry a fix blade instead of a folder? Any advantaches over a folder? Still would like to have a BM 730 though.

There are some advantages, but not many in my mind. Fixed blades are typically easy to use with one hand depending on the sheath. But I don't like the idea of having to look at my belt every time I put the knife away though. But I do like the idea of having a dirt simple, reliable tool. And as long as you don't goop up the inside of the sheath cleaning is easier then with a folder as well.
I've been playing with the idea of picking up a small fixed blade knife to carry daily, but I may just used my old sharp finger. It's a heck of a knife, but the sheath needs replaced.
Other knives that I have been considering, Benchmade Bone Collector 15000-1 in walnut, BRKT knives ( of course), some of the small Buck fixed blades, and I have also been looking at a few customs for sale here.

Guess I will find out. Just bought the BHK longtrail. Guess not. He just backed out after I told him I had sent the paypal.

Last edited:
Guess I will find out. Just bought the BHK longtrail.

Not familiar with their long trail, but I have a BHK Frontier Valley and it's an awesome little edc fixed blade. It has a full flat grind and comfortable handle. I sort of see it as a much classier version of the Izula :)

DSC_2691cropped.jpg

I did a post on it here last year.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...se-Knives-Frontier-Valley-Initial-Impressions

I carry a small fixed in my right front pocket everyday. Sometimes around my neck. There is only one folder always with me, and that is a vic Farmer. Although soon that will be different, as there are quite a few new folders out I want to try out.

I started carrying a fixed blade daily in March of 2009 and have not looked back.

Michael Morris had a knife called the "Pocket Filer" that I carry in my right front pocket. It has a 2.5" blade. For me it is PERFECT.

-Stan

I have a couple of folder that I carry, a limited edition HEST folder that I carry because I like it and how it's made, and then an SAK that I carry to the bush for the saw. But given the choice between small fixed or folder on a permanent basis I would choose the small fixed...I usually have both anyway.

while I always have a folder with me when afield, I don't depend on them. I always use a fixed blade, most often with a blade around 4 inches long.

I love fixed blades and usually have one with me, but I've found (somewhat to my consternation) that no fixed blade is as easy or quick to use and put away as a one-handed folder. For all those little jobs like opening a box or cleaning up a piece of cut PVC pipe or nipping off a sickly tomato branch or removing an old registration sticker, the one-handed folder is hard to beat. Being able to draw, cut, and replace the knife with one hand is not the domaine of the pocket fixed blade.

I think fixed blades really excell if you have more than one or two cuts to make, but unless you're carying in a fairly large belt sheath, reholstering takes two hands.

So I carry both, but if I'm only carying one it's the folder. I tried giving the folder up for a small fixed blade but found I was going backwards.

I have found Tom Krein's TK-1 an excellent little fixed blade for daily carry and it does not take up any pocket space unless I start the day with a head ache, then it does go in a pocket.

I'll second the Krein Tk-1, its phenominal for a sort of karda type carry for carving and fine work.

I've been really liking carrying a small fixed blade around my neck. otherwise i'd just use a folder or a belt knife. I've got a really lightweight puukko laser cutter thats been around my neck for the last few outings. its 3.5" flat ground and great for food prep and foraging. stick tang to reduce the weight dramatically. bigger blade or small axe for the woodwork. I've also neck carried the tk-1. these are great for canoe outings when you may be sitting a lot and want access to your knife.

Try neck carry and see if you like it. but make sure the knife is on the lighter side.. Some makers seem to overbuild these and use thick stock. lighter and longer has been more useful to me to me than short, thick and stubby.

I love fixed blades and usually have one with me, but I've found (somewhat to my consternation) that no fixed blade is as easy or quick to use and put away as a one-handed folder. For all those little jobs like opening a box or cleaning up a piece of cut PVC pipe or nipping off a sickly tomato branch or removing an old registration sticker, the one-handed folder is hard to beat. Being able to draw, cut, and replace the knife with one hand is not the domaine of the pocket fixed blade.

I think fixed blades really excell if you have more than one or two cuts to make, but unless you're carying in a fairly large belt sheath, reholstering takes two hands.

So I carry both, but if I'm only carying one it's the folder. I tried giving the folder up for a small fixed blade but found I was going backwards.

This has been my experience as well, much to my disappointment because I really like small fixed blades - perhaps more than any other knife type.

Back