Sodbuster Choice

Lenny

Gold Member
Which do you consider the best of the bunch (cost not a factor)?
Then, which do you consider the best of the bunch (cost a factor?
- Case
- Queen
- GEC
- A G Russell
- Any others you nominate
Thanks all.
Lenny

Purely based on use, for me I will have to say the case sodbuster jr in cv.
It was cheap enough, covers all tasks I need it for minus one(that's covered by something else), carbon takes a wicked edge, you can sharpen it on the bottom of a coffe cup if you have to then strop it on cardboard(learned that here), I work in a wet conditions and it is still easy to maintain. If I lose it I am not out that much scratch and if I decide to give it away ( done that already) I get somebody else into knives with a quality user.

Overall best, A. G. Russell Rancher and Cowboy, GEC and then Case, imo.

A personal preference thing, IMO.

Overall best, A. G. Russell Rancher and Cowboy, GEC and then Case, imo.

+1 on your ranking, but I would throw Queen before GEC, because of the D2 blade. The only drawback to the Queen. . .dull out of the box.

I have sodbusters from Case, Queen, GEC, Carl Schlieper, AG Russell, and Robert Herder.

Case - "OK" knife with very very poor grinds on the blade. I can't recommend this knife.
Queen - Not bad, tiny bit of wobble but overall a nice knife, this ranks #3 for me.
GEC - Awesome knife and absolutely the best of the bunch. #1.
Carl Schlieper - Poor fit and finish on the scales and liners but a very good blade. Ranks #4.
AG Russell - I can't recommend this one for reasons outside of the knife itself.
Robert Herder - Awesome knife with beautiful scales and a very well ground blade. Great choice, but the GEC is a tad more "solid" so this was is #2 in the ranking.

There you go, my opinion worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited:
Best in class - Kerry Hampton KHnutbuster. It is several times more expensive than the knives you have listed though. GEC Bullnose for production knives.

Best beater - Queen Country Cousin. The Case is also a nice knife, but I think the Queen is better because it has a more useful point.

- Christian

donth think so hard - once you get one you'll want them all anyway....

but if i must choose

1)Queen Jr in D2
2)Case CV
3) Germanbull dirtbuster (SS with stag scales :) just to put it out there)
4)Case SS

AG Russell, think i'll pass - I usually have to import knives from the US and there's no way I'm going to import a MIC 10,000 odd miles :D

got a GEC on its way to me not sure where it will fit in but I can't wait to find out

i only have experience with three sodbusters (case, queen, and bulldog brand), but id definitely say my country cousin is the better of the three.
better blade shape, steel, and the fit and finish is very nice.

- Case
I have a large and small soddie in stainless, and two of the large yellow soddies in CV. The edge grinds on the stainless versions are among the best I've seen on any production folder, especially considering their relatively low cost. The tumbled & polished finish of the CV blades I think has been to the detriment of the edges on those, especially the tip (rounded/blunt). This is in contrast to the 'as ground' finish (not tumbled & polished) on the stainless, which leaves the tip and spine edges as crisp as can be. Combine that with the hollow grind on the small soddie (large version is flat-ground), and the small stainless version is a fantastic slicer. That's what I like most about that one.
- Queen
D2 blades. 'Nuff said. I just wish they'd also produce a large version as well.
- GEC
(no opinion; don't have one of these)
- A G Russell
I bought 4 of these: one each of the smaller 'Rancher' in yellow and black 'Rucarta, and one each of the larger 'Cowboy' in the same. Fit/finish is first-rate, the 8Cr13MoV blades take great edges (I've even convexed two of mine), and the design overall is astoundingly good with a very large blade in a small package, a 'stop pin' that prevents the edge colliding with the backspring, and all stainless construction. :thumbup:
- Any others you nominate
Eye Brand also comes to mind. Fit/finish is a bit rough, but the carbon steel blades take wicked-sharp edges, and are finished beautifully with a 'satin' sheen. That alone makes them worth a look. Also have some 'Bulldog' brand, which is the Eye Brand in every respect (made in same factory to the identical pattern), but the Bulldogs are more refined, with mirror-polished blades, and choice of handle colors in red, green & bright yellow.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Case Sodbuster/Sodbuster Jr. in CV. It's a workhorse of a knife and I can pick one up at the local hardware stores for $18-$22. However, my vote is extremely biased because I haven't tried any other sodbusters. But whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll be happy. The worst you can do is wind up buying a knife that becomes a present to someone else. I do hate it when words are etched onto a blade though.:grumpy:

I've got several GECs, a couple/three Bulldog Brand, have had a couple Queens, and a couple Case CV Sod Buster Jrs. along with a Case SS Workman Series.

I like my Case CV Sod Buster Jrs better than any of them with the GECs nipping at their heels for the following reason.

GEC makes a tough/sturdy soddie type knife but I think Case has the edge on toughness/sturdiness because Case wraps their spring all the way up to the top/tip of the frame (liners and covers) of the rear/butt of the knife which makes for a more rigid knife. You can see the difference in this picture. I like GEC's 01 but for my .02¢, it doesn't beat Case's CV.

casegecsoddiecomparison.jpg

As to cost, you can pick up a Case Sod Buster Jr. at several places for under (well under) a 20-dollar bill. If you time it just right you can pick them up in the Spring for free as promotional ites for products sold by feed and grain stores, co-ops, etc.. I got three of them free last year when I bought 3-rolls of barbwire - one free knife for one 1000 foot roll of barwire.

Last edited:
I have a black delrin Case Sodbuster Jr. from Lowe's that is approximately 3 or 4 years old, and gets used more than a good number of the rest of my knife accumulation. It is easy to sharpen, I love the blade shape, is very light, and, so far, no blade play in any form or fashion. If memory serves, there bevel grind was even when I first picked it up. A very nice folder.

I also picked up one of the larger AG Russell offerings in yellow, though I can't recall if it is called the Cowboy or the Rancher. What really surprised me about the knife is how large it was. The blade is a full inch wide, but has one of the best flat grinds I have ever seen. First rate snap and sharpness right out of the box. The only real issue it has is the blade being a bit off center upon nesting. It doesn't touch the liner, so all is fine.

As to which I like more, it is hard to say. The only common link between the two is that they are both stainless. I adore and use both regularly.

I do have an orange GEC inbound. Not sure if 01 tool steel is classified as stainless, carbon, or semi-stainless, as in D2. Guess I'll find out on Wednesday.

I'm biased too,I love Case knives.My Sodbuster Jr.in CV takes an edge like a straight razor.-Jim

As a guy who has a bit of a sodbuster fetish:D with over 100 different sodbusters I would say the GEC is the best all around when price is not a factor. It's my goldilocks sodbuster, "just right". As for best for the price I say you have two choices. If you don't care if its made in China then the AG Russell Rancher, great fit and finish and a easy pocket carry. If US made is a must then the Case Sodbuster Jr(in CV or Stainless) is a great classic knife that won't let you down. I love them all and need more!! :D

Back