Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick is a good guy. He seems intelligent and thoughtful. I often don't agree with a lot of his opinions, and I think he is much more of a collector/commentator of knives rather than a user of them. I don't think this is just him, though. So many reviews on Youtube seem to be focused on the "action" of a knife, how smooth it is, etc. and no real attempt is made to demonstrate the knife's capability in cutting tasks other than paper. A smooth action is a good thing, but inordinate amounts of time and hype are spent talking about it.

I don't mean that to denigrate him, as he makes clear in his videos, everyone who buys and uses knives has different needs and values. It's just my personal preference to hear longer-term reviews of knives in more diverse settings than just to and from the office every day for a week. I do greatly appreciate that he actually cares about knives having appropriate grinds for cutting tasks, though. This is an area that differentiates him from many others who just googoo and gaga over the latest framelock flipper with mokuti inlay and blade that's ground about as well as a shovel. I also appreciate his mockery of the "high speed low drag" crowd.

I actually prefer watching his videos on pens and other non-knife gear.

I remember he posted in this sub in regards to Gareth Bull. He needed some parts for his knife.
Seemed like a regular guy. Nothing like the sanctimonious apostle dip stick.

I think my favorite/most memorable reviews from him were the Shirogorov knives - he had a spot-on Russian accent and at first I had to double check that I was indeed on the right channel (he introduced himself as Nikolai, got me confused).

I don't agree with him 100% of the time (freaking adore my ZT0456 which he ultimately didn't care for) but he's entertaining and does a good run-through of the knives he puts on his channel. :thumbup:

Crap I'm really sorry I think you're right. I figured this was the right area but I might be wrong. Apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

I just feel like the guy is a solid resource and I wanted to give some positive feedback to his channel.

naw, it's likely the right place. it guess it falls under "good." didn't think of it that way, my mistake. sorry i typed my original post so bluntly...one of my flaws....i'm a poor communicator...least that's what my wife always says.:)

the 2 "reviewers" i'm most familiar with are NICK SHABAZZ and JIM SKELTON. between the 2 of them, i FAR PREFER NICK SHABAZZ. he doesn't take himself so seriously, and isn't anywhere near as close to as FULL OF HIMSELF as JIM SKELTON seems to be. SKELTON seems to like himself talk about knives on YOUTUBE...i think it's very UNBECOMING. he seems to think his opinions are sacrosanct. i strongly disagree. NICK seems to have a sense of humor about himself, has a nice way with words, makes alot of good points, and has a "wink" in what he says and how he says it. SKELTON to me, comes across as a supercilious BLOW-HARD, in love with the sound of his own voice, and has a tone of dramatic disrespect. personally, i don't think there's much comparison...i FAR PREFER NICK!!!...just me...jzs

the 2 "reviewers" i'm most familiar with are NICK SHABAZZ and JIM SKELTON. between the 2 of them, i FAR PREFER NICK SHABAZZ. he doesn't take himself so seriously, and isn't anywhere near as close to as FULL OF HIMSELF as JIM SKELTON seems to be. SKELTON seems to like himself talk about knives on YOUTUBE...i think it's very UNBECOMING. he seems to think his opinions are sacrosanct. i strongly disagree. NICK seems to have a sense of humor about himself, has a nice way with words, makes alot of good points, and has a "wink" in what he says and how he says it. SKELTON to me, comes across as a supercilious BLOW-HARD, in love with the sound of his own voice, and has a tone of dramatic disrespect. personally, i don't think there's much comparison...i FAR PREFER NICK!!!...just me...jzs

I agree. And after jim made a video asking if he should open what is basically a kickstarter account on patreon whilst driving a $70,000 car and bragging about how much money he spends I cant even watch another video of his. Dude quits his job to become a knifemaker asking what most guild members don't even charge. Makes no sacrifices himself and asks for a handout so he can continue his lavish lifestyle uninhibited. Yes, nick definitely wins in all departments. Jim on the other hand seems destined for the hall of shame. Not that anyone who has dipped a toe in watch collecting would be surprised. Dudes been scummy for years.

How true Purp!!
I remember reading some of the scummy moves he made on members of a cigar forum.
Major scum. If I recall correctly, he was moaning about being broke and had no where for his family to live. A member gave him a great deal on a rental property. Lived in it and never paid a bill......to this day.
Wish I saved that link, it made for very interesting reading.
Joe

I agree. And after jim made a video asking if he should open what is basically a kickstarter account on patreon whilst driving a $70,000 car and bragging about how much money he spends I cant even watch another video of his. Dude quits his job to become a knifemaker asking what most guild members don't even charge. Makes no sacrifices himself and asks for a handout so he can continue his lavish lifestyle uninhibited. Yes, nick definitely wins in all departments. Jim on the other hand seems destined for the hall of shame. Not that anyone who has dipped a toe in watch collecting would be surprised. Dudes been scummy for years.

Wasn't he fired from his job? I don't really like him either and I stopped watching his videos a while back. Him asking for money is now more of a reason not to watch any of his vids ever. He has very expensive knives, watches and the car and is asking for money?!

I like Nick a whole lot. He's a natural presenter, has charm and personality and is a bit self-deprecating, which is helpful when you're dealing with opinions and criticism. For instance, he states his thoughts and adds, "But what do I know?". It's refreshing since most YT's try so hard to convince you they are THE expert.

It also helps that his biases align with mine. He focuses on aspects I'm interested in, like action, smoothness, and all that. I couldn't care less how many sledgehammer blows it took to break a lock or what-have-you. What? He's biased? Sure, I sub FOR his bias, he offers an opinion, and an opinion is merely 'the facts' filtered through an individual's perspective. There is literally no such thing as an 'un-biased' opinion, but I share the things he values so it works for me.

And I like his voice, it's unique.

Wasn't he fired from his job? I don't really like him either and I stopped watching his videos a while back. Him asking for money is now more of a reason not to watch any of his vids ever. He has very expensive knives, watches and the car and is asking for money?!

Yes his excuse is he quit his job and no longer has the income to support his lifestyle. To which i say a lifestyle change may be in order before asking for a handout. Or maybe wait till you do have a new source of income before giving up the current one. Im sure a lot of us would like to wuit our jobs and beg..... wait. No we dont. Either way no one should be asking for money while filming a video driving a car that cost over seventy grand on a new go pro camera he received that day. And yes he used to hock watches on shopnbc and made some seriously crass nazi jokes on air to the jewish cohost. The broadcast was shutdown and he made an on air apology and was relieved of his responsibilities. But if we continue this talk it should probably be in a thread focusing on him. I dont want anyone to think nick has anything to do with his shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back