Someone asked if my sebenza was an off brand knife.

So at work today I saw a guy pull out a benchmade. I asked if I could see it and we started talking about knives. He wasn't really a knife nut, but did care about his knife more than a lot of people I talk to. Asked him if the partial serrations of his knife was by choice, he said yes and explained that he liked them because they still cut when dull and for processing deer (personally I don't know anything about processing deer). He likes to have everything in one tool.

I pulled out my sebenza and victorinox hiker to explain I carried one knife to do normal cutting and the saw on my SAK for the tasks most people use a serrated knife for. Anyway when he saw the sebenza he asked if it was some off brand or no name brand. He didn't know who Chris Reeve is or ever heard of a sebenza, not too surprising I guess. Anyway he wasn't to impressed.

Then I let him him hold my knife. He was surprised at how light it was and smoothly it opened. He also noticed how nicely it locked up and that the entire lock face engaged the blade, not just the top or bottom. I don't think he is likely to buy one, but it was nice to talk to someone outside of a knife shop that appreciates nice knives.

Side not another guy pulled out a gerber, but didn't want to talk after I told him what I thought of his knife and that being made in the US didn't ensure quality.

There are the "knife nuts" like us and there are the guys who just happens to own one decent knife. I use to be that guy and my first real knife was a benchmade bone collector and I chose the partially serrated version too.

IMO knives like the Sebenza and Hinderer are really plain-jane looking knives and to a non-knife person it might even appear to be nothing special at first glance. I didn't grow to like the looks of either of those knives until I really got into it.

I have NEVER met a knife nut or enthusiast outside of a knife show. i almost feel alone. Everyone I know carries a Gerber, Buck or a Benchmade.

the only reason iv met a bunch of knife nuts outside of knife shows is because i turned people into knife nuts XD... 5 people and counting :devilish:

There are the "knife nuts" like us and there are the guys who just happens to own one decent knife. I use to be that guy and my first real knife was a benchmade bone collector and I chose the partially serrated version too.

IMO knives like the Sebenza and Hinderer are really plain-jane looking knives and to a non-knife person it might even appear to be nothing special at first glance. I didn't grow to like the looks of either of those knives until I really got into it.

I never thought of my Sebenza as a plain jane.DSCN0967.jpg

The standard sebenza is about regular and gray looking as a pocket knife can get.

I guess someone might find the standard plain looking. Though I love how they look and wish I had the money for one.

And that's just how I like it. I have no interest in carting about some tart of a knife. :p:thumbup:

The standard sebenza is about regular and gray looking as a pocket knife can get.

And that's just how I like it. I have no interest in carting about some tart of a knife. :p:thumbup:

Then I wont be expecting a comment from you when I post a pic of the Regular I have in route:eek::D

I've had a couple non impressed reactions from people that I've shown my Sebs to.

Fortunately the people I work with are always interested in what I'm carrying. They carry Gerbers and the like aswell, but after a few months of hearing my boss and I chew the fat about knives they wanted to know more. The reactions have gone from "you spent how much on this?!" to "that's really cool, the dude from Superman made knives?":D Well, it's a step anyway.

On a side note, my boss sparked the high end knife bug in me so through the week knives are a topic....but he's not into CRK so I get my fix here:thumbup:

It's true that I'm not a fan of decorated Sebenzas but there are a few I do like. I also appreciate the work that goes into them, some of the machining is pretty cool. :cool::thumbup:

This is a nice example, sorry to the owner of this picture I've stolen. :foot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00779.jpg
    DSC00779.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 161
It's true that I'm not a fan of decorated Sebenzas but there are a few I do like. I also appreciate the work that goes into them, some of the machining is pretty cool. :cool::thumbup:

This is a nice example, sorry to the owner of this picture I've stolen. :foot:

attachment.php

That is nice. Still more understated than others. I'm more of a micarta or plain jane type of guy when it comes to Sebenzas, but a Large Regular with paperwork? I couldn't pass that up. The graphic is nice on it and the inlayed gem isn't too bad either :thumbup:

She's purty, I'm ok carrying a purty knife I guess. Just don't go back and look at one of my first post in here. Todays no day for foot in mouth syndrome :D

Back