Sorry for the lack of posting and whats new for 2013

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Hey everyone. I wanted to apologize for the lack of posting lately. I have been swamped at work with the Spring season arriving and haven't been in the shop much. Ive been thinking about how I wanted to improve my product lately and what would be the best business practice moving forward. I have decided to streamline and will be doing things a little differently. Ive come to the conclusion through feedback and testing that my knives are good but not great. How will I improve?????? First, I will be doing a number of designs, not just new stuff all the time. It gives the customer a base knife that they have either seen or handled before. I am in the process of reworking the designs and making hard templates. This will ensure each knife is the same. I have also changed the designs, mainly handle size. Ive learned that most people don't have larger hands like I do so my handles were to large for them in either length or thickness. I have scaled them down to fit most hands. Second, I am grinding my edges much thinner. Again, through feedback, Ive learned that I had sharp knives but that they didn't always perform as well because the grinds were too thick. Third, and probably the most important, I will be using Parks 50 to quench in. I recently went out to Matts shop where we hooked up the oven and heat treated a few knives quenching in Parks. They came out so much harder than the oil I was using previously. I sharpened one of them up and did some testing and HOLY CRAP what a difference. With the thinner edges and higher hardness they cut so much better and stayed sharp longer. I also did not have any chipping or edge deformation.

So this is how I will be doing business. I will be making my basic patterns. Orders will be accepted on those patterns. I will offer grind choices of flat, convex, and even scandi. I will also be doing more hamons. As of now I have about six designs that I am happy with. I am in the process of completing some knives to show what those designs will look like. I should have four or five done real soon as I just need to handle them. I will be using natural and black micarta liners with different color g10 pinstripes along with natural pins and tubes or black carbon fiber pins and tubes as well as stainless tubes. In all honesty after using the micarta pins, I wont use metal again. It is so much easier to get a smooth handle when contouring. They don't bulge up like metal does.

I think everyone will be happy with the new KFU Knives. I will continue to add new designs as I go after I test them out. Thanks everyone for all the support!

I have never handled one of your knives but LOVE the look of them.
Good on ya for thriving to better your product. I can't wait till I can buy one....and I will, one day.
Why did I go back to school....ha.
Keep it up!

Wow! I think your being pretty hard on yourself. I have handled one of your knives and I think your beating yourself up. Improvement is good, but take a second and smell the roses and see how far youve come. Handle size is a difficult thing to master. I have the exact opposite problem you have. I have freakishly small hands for my size and I tend to make handles to big for myself so that they will be comfortable for the masses.
I appologise for not getting in touch yet with you and Tackett. With Blade around the corner Ive been beyond busy. I understand you two might be a Blade if so, I hope you will be swinging by my table. Id like to do some work with you fellas and Id like to talk to you about your recent grider purchase. (Im in the market)

Hey Chris,

Good to hear you're back in the shop!!! I hope the Kephart made the cut and the beauty of that design is the handle will work for any sized hands!

I look forward to seeing the designs your sticking with and some more beautiful knives from your shop.

All the Best,

Stump

I like your knives a lot already, but improvements are always good too. I look forward to seeing what changes you're making and what designs made the cut. I'm hoping the kephart did cuz I definitely still need one.

Thanks guys! The Kephart will male it in for sure. I made a couple lg and small bushcrafters, woods knife, and a pocket edc that Ill handle up soon and post up.

Todd, Matt and I wanna come see you soon!

Sooooo, you're busy too huh ??? ;)
Chris, whatever you do, DO NOT (please?) lose the template for the handles you have now. Those handles fit my overgrown paws like gloves. The Kephart has to be on of the most comfortable handles you have sent north buddy. And Sally T's "C" knife even thou it is a little bit shorter than the others still fits and works pretty daym good too.
Good to see you back on here, kind of had a feeling work had something to do with your absense . . . . just intuition I guess . . . . :thumbup:
Be safe.

I was just thinking the other day that I had not seen posts from you, Good to see you back.
I look forward to your new designs.

H I have also changed the designs, mainly handle size. Ive learned that most people don't have larger hands like I do so my handles were to large for them in either length or thickness. I have scaled them down to fit most hands.
If someone were to custom order the larger handles, would you still do it then?

Oh yeah, I can always make them thicker on request

as far as not posting goes I take first and second places thank you :))
I keep making returns and then disappearing again, frustrating and silly but if I tell you I haven't had a beer with my friends since about March... it's 3.43 am here and I have been up since midnight, working

good luck on whichever path you'll be going down, we are all sure it will be the right one :)

gergely

KFU & Sveqs, good to see ya' both back on here. . . . . and if there were a 3rd and 4th place winner, I think the G-Man and myself would win and take both places hands down . . . amazing how "life" things can really complicate play time for adults . . . . :D :D
Good to see ya' both . . . .
Be safe.

Chris, don't beat yourself up too badly on the handle thing -- your challenge entry got a LOT of complements for ergos.
That said, looking forward to the "new and improved" KFU blades.

Chris, I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve! Honestly, I've loved the knives I've gotten from you and the large handle works well for me. In fact, my wife likes then that way, too. Her reasoning is that when she uses knives with thin handles, her nails dig into her palm. In particular, she loved the Fatty Crafter you did the pass-around of.

That said, when a guy puts as much thought into improving their products as you have, the end result is usually very good. You are already a great knifemaker, so I guess this means I need to start putting away in my KFU fund!

Back