Sources for Hammer Handles

I recently purchased an old ball peen hammer at a yard sale. It is stamped "Germantown". A little searching indicates it was made by Germantown Tool Works located in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. The company was established in 1858 so I have no idea how old the hammer is though I saw a photo of the pre-1919 stamp (all capitals "GERMANTOWN") that looks just like my hammer. It looks very well made. Approximately 30 oz which is a sweet spot for me. I intend to use if for some blacksmithing (when I can get set up with a forge, I have an anvil).

The handle is not in good condition. I recall a thread about sources for good quality handles but I have not found it. Are there any reliable sources for good quality handles, in this case for a hammer? Grain orientation was a problem from some sources if I recall correctly reading that here.

Any input is most appreciated.

You should be able to find a decent quality hammer handle from OP Link at your local hardware store.
Their axe handles leave a lot to be desired when you can actually find them these days, but their hammer handles are perfectly serviceable.

Btw when it comes to hammer handles grain orientation isn't all that critical, grain runout is worse and even then a hammer like this isn't really going to see enough leverage to have problems.

If you can't find one locally, House has a nice selection of handles. Though they often end up sending defective handles and their good ones take some finishing, they always send replacements free when you need them to, and they're CHEAP, so as long as you don't need a top-class handle ASAP and don't mind the potential hassle, they do offer a lot of kinds for not much money.

If you can't find one locally, House has a nice selection of handles. Though they often end up sending defective handles and their good ones take some finishing, they always send replacements free when you need them to, and they're CHEAP, so as long as you don't need a top-class handle ASAP and don't mind the potential hassle, they do offer a lot of kinds for not much money.
Yes but order multiples because everything cost a lot more to ship these days.

Thanks for the input folks. I will start by looking locally.

Slightly tangent topic...I was interested with the Germantown hammer because I have lived in suburban Philadelphia all my life. In my research I find that Plumb also was a Philadelphia company. Both seem to have manufactured high quality products in their day.

Thanks for the input folks. I will start by looking locally.

Slightly tangent topic...I was interested with the Germantown hammer because I have lived in suburban Philadelphia all my life. In my research I find that Plumb also was a Philadelphia company. Both seem to have manufactured high quality products in their day.
Yes GTW made excellent hammers.
This 1.5lb engineer is one of my most used hammers.

This particular stamp was an earlier style for them, but I believe it was also in use near the company's end in the 50's.

Back