Spyderco Blade Angle

What is the included blade angle that my Spydergo Endura is sharpened @? I heard that it was 30 degrees (15 degrees each side), but I'm not sure... also, I'm a n00b (I may sound like it, lol).

I believe that's correct (any more experienced bf members can confirm that?). but if you try sharpening on the 30deg angle on the sharpmaker, there may not be an identical match to the angle....I know I didn't have a perfect match when I tried to sharpen my endura - I had to reprofile my blade using the ep apex first....but that's just me :)

yeah dude.. that's 30°, 15° on each side.. :D To get a good edge, do keep your blade straight and apply a bit of pressure.. ;)

Sam

I thought it was 40 deg. (20 on each side) and the 30 deg. back bevel was used if the 40 deg. did not produce the desired results. That informaion is from the Sharpmaker instructions.

I haven't watched my Dealer and Shapener videos in a month or so, but I *Think* I remember hearing Sal say they put the knives at 30*, providing the back bevel most users end up wanting. It saves them work, with more time between knives being sent in. As the steel gets sharpened, it thickens up, and the 30* edge(factory) allows more sharpening than a basic 40*

Hi Younggenious. 40 degrees is the best "one size fits all" angle for sharpening. It is thin enough to shave hair and thick enough to withstand some edge force.

We try to keep all of our factory angles less than 40 degrees so one doesn't have to re-profile the edge, if they like it thinner. It also makes resharpening much easier and faster. We pay quite a bit of attention to the detail of edge angle.

The Endura and Delica are usually in the 30 degree angle range from our factory. You could keep it at that angle if you choose, I do. But it is a thinner edge and will not take the abused of a thicker edge. We use exceptional steels in our Endura dnd Delica models (geared towards performance) and that goies in your favor when selecting a thinner edge.

hoped that helps.

sal

Back