Recommendation? Spyderco S110V…mirror edge or not?

cnm123

Gold Member
Should I try to go with a fine edge or leave it a little rough?
I’m doing 20deg. on a lansky.

Mirrored edges are like mirror blades: Every little imperfection or piece of gunk from tape on a box will drive you crazy. Ask yourself is it about function or looks? If function, a polished edge isn’t necessary.. particularly not on a steel like s110v. Not to mention how difficult that task is going to be with how hard it is to sharpen. You’ll need diamond stones if you plan to do anything to it. But hey, the mirrored edges do look cool for pics when you hover it over playing cards and newspapers.

This is working knife not a showpiece, the diamond stones are cutting right through no problem.
It’s also a factory 2nd that had a terrible edge; uneven grind and “waves” throughout. I got those out.
I guess I should have said a fine edge not necessarily mirrored.

This is working knife not a showpiece, the diamond stones are cutting right through no problem.
It’s also a factory 2nd that had a terrible edge; uneven grind and “waves” throughout. I got those out.
I guess I should have said a fine edge not necessarily mirrored.
I have a pm2 in s110v, and it serves one specific purpose in my mind: To absolutely destroy corrugated boxes, without the need to resharpen. It is a cutting machine for high-volume use. If I were to make a showpiece with a polish, it would be 154cm. I’d keep the s110v nice and toothy, and strop between uses just to keep it tip top.

Back