SpydieChef thread

I have one on the way. I plan to regrind mine for use while fishing on my kayak. I've used this steel a good bit now and have been very pleased. It sharpens easily and takes a nice edge, is decently tough, and edge retention has been very respectable for fish cleaning work. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say about performance.

I have one on the way. I plan to regrind mine for use while fishing on my kayak. I've used this steel a good bit now and have been very pleased. It sharpens easily and takes a nice edge, is decently tough, and edge retention has been very respectable for fish cleaning work. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say about performance.

Pics when you are done Lance? Hopefully mine will be here soon as well.

Another pic taken in my personal Hell's Kithen!

spydiechef_web_05112016.jpg

[video=youtube;7krOFUypc6A]https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=7krOFUypc6A[/video]

We know the LC200N steel and titanium are extremely corrosion resistant but I was curious about the hardware. In the October 2016 issue of Spyderco Byte it says: "Like the blade and titanium scales, the pocket clip, screws, and all other component parts of the Spydiechef are machined from highly corrosion-resistant alloys."

I've had mine now for 24 hours and I'm really impressed with it. I see this knife getting a lot of carry time. I cycle all the time and routinely carry a small Salt because sweat will mar even the best steel. I have a PM2 with DLC that shows perspiration residue that I can't get rid off. This should hold up to the sweat just fine I think. I like the ergos on the Chef. It's very thin and lightweight; carry's extremely well in the pocket. No lock stick that I can feel. The action is tight and the detent a bit firm. Good tight that needs to be broken in. I use my EDC as an eating utensil more often than I thought possible and it excels at this task. If I was working in a kitchen full time this would be my main EDC knife. I personally love to cook and this will definitely see some light prep work in my kitchen.

Last edited:
Just got one, what a great design from Marcin. Its got a kitchen style blade but its also pretty handy at breaking down boxes and cutting parcels open.
It came extremely smooth and sharp right out of the box.

Just got one, what a great design from Marcin. Its got a kitchen style blade but its also pretty handy at breaking down boxes and cutting parcels open.
It came extremely smooth and sharp right out of the box.

I agree. Excels at EDC tasks as well as food prep. All in all a very versatile knife. Mine hasn't left my pocket.

Got one in today and love the feel in the hand. Lock has a bit of stick and the detent is a bit strong on mine but I'm sure that will break in. The lockup seems quite late though, is that normal for these?

Got one in today and love the feel in the hand. Lock has a bit of stick and the detent is a bit strong on mine but I'm sure that will break in. The lockup seems quite late though, is that normal for these?

Yes, that's how Slysz builds them.

The Slysz Bowie was the knife that brought me back to Spyderco after an exclusive (now semi-exclusive) stint with CRK. That knife is, in my mind, THE Spyderco to own.

For those that have both, can you comment on the build quality and smoothness compared to the Bowie? I'm thinking a lot of the price difference is coming from the fact that the machining (Flat vs. 3-D) is just WAAAAAY cheaper, and hoping the overall knife quality, fit and finish are the same as the other Slysz products.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The Slysz Bowie was the knife that brought me back to Spyderco after an exclusive (now semi-exclusive) stint with CRK. That knife is, in my mind, THE Spyderco to own.

For those that have both, can you comment on the build quality and smoothness compared to the Bowie? I'm thinking a lot of the price difference is coming from the fact that the machining (Flat vs. 3-D) is just WAAAAAY cheaper, and hoping the overall knife quality, fit and finish are the same as the other Slysz products.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a Bowie any more, but if memory serves the Spydie Chef is as good as the Bowie in terms of fit and finish.

It is nowhere as refined as the Bowie, but it isn't supposed to be either ;)

I haven't been able to purchase one quite yet, but I thought the only real manufacturing difference was the lack of contoured handle shape. Where else did they skimp or lack on refinement to be considered nowhere near the Bowie? Just wondering before I pick one up.

It's not nearly as highly finished as the Bowie. The Bowie has the polished stonewash, crowned spine, crisp backspacer, contoured scales, stonewashed scales...unless you've had hands on, it's hard to appreciate just how nice the whole package of the Bowie is. It's SUPER nice.

I haven't been able to purchase one quite yet, but I thought the only real manufacturing difference was the lack of contoured handle shape. Where else did they skimp or lack on refinement to be considered nowhere near the Bowie? Just wondering before I pick one up.

blade man covered nicely. The Chef handle is simpler, but the finish makes it less slippery when wet/bloody. Both are great :D

Back