1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Steve Culver MS - San Francisco style Bowie w/ Silver sheath

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by HTMD, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HTMD

HTMD Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2002
    ABS Master Smith Steve Culver made this beautiful San Francisco style spear-point bowie and sliver sheath for our CKCA Mini Show & Banquet at BLADE Show this year. CKCA members attending the banquet got an early-bird opportunity to purchase it (seven distinguished makers participated) and there was considerable buzz about it in the room. For Steve there was also an element of personal challenge as it was his first two piece wrapped frame handle. Everyone agreed it was a home-run effort by Steve and the knife was purchased by an enthusiastic CKCA collector member who then had to endure a few envious looks and comments.

Blade: 1084 Carbon Steel
    Handle: Interior Mammoth Ivory
    Frame, Fittings & Sheath: Argentium Sterling Silver
    Tang Nut: Stainless Steel
    Engraving: Steve Culver
    OAL: 10 3/4 inches
    Blade Length: 6 inches

[​IMG]

2. Russ Andrews

Russ Andrews Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2002
    Really Outstanding...!!!

3. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Buddy, your photography is 3D!!!!! Way good!

Paul

4. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    One of my favourite knives of the year so far - I'm sure the lucky owner is still grinning.

Roger

5. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    That is amazing!

6. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Wonderful work by a great person and bladesmith....one of the best. :)

The pictures aren't too bad either..... ;) :D

7. John White

John White

Jun 23, 2007
    Beautiful execution of a classic. Steve's one of the very best.

Saw this one in person, and it's exquisite.

Great shot, Buddy.

John

8. B . Buxton

B . Buxton

Jul 8, 2001
    Steve's a good guy and does beautiful work, his precision in fit, finish and detail is always an inspiration and a pleasure to see.

Bill

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2001
    Buddy,

That's a super photo.

I saw this knife at the CKCA Show and it is spectacular.

Great job Steve.

Jim Treacy

10. Bruce Bump

Bruce Bump KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 1999
    Michael Price himself would be proud. Outstanding knife and sheath Steve. Buddy the photo is equally great.

11. Tommythewho

Tommythewho KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 21, 2011
    The crafstmanship and skill just boggles my mind.

12. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Oh, my. That's the one.
    Great image, Buddy, you can see everything.
    Congrats to the lucky owner.

Doug

13. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    An exquisite example of a Price styled piece that Buddy truly did justice :)

14. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Exceptional knife and photo.
    Top shelf all the way.

15. The Virginian

The Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    One of my favorite knives that I saw at the show. Thanks for posting this.

16. okie 46

okie 46

Nov 8, 2008
    Very nice. Great photo

17. betzner

betzner Home ToMorro Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    I doubt that many people realize how much technical effort goes into this kind of wrap.

Great job, Steve. And a really, really nice piece all the way around. Particularly lovely ivory and just the right touch of engraving for such a design.

Bob

18. sculver

sculver

Jun 28, 2007
    Sorry to be so late to post a reply to this thread. I've been so busy with my current project that I have not spent much time perusing the forums. Buddy had to thump me on the head and tell me this thread was up. :p

Thanks to all for the kind compliments on the knife! And a special thanks to Buddy for an awesome job with the photo and for posting it on this Forum!

I really enjoyed making this knife and I plan to make more of them. I had wanted to build a San Francisco bowie for a long time, but just never got the project slotted into my shop time. When I was asked to be one of the 7 makers to build knives for this year's CKCA Banquet, I found the excuse to get it done. So, I guess I should thank the CKCA for that!!!

Again; Thanks to all. I'm glad that you like the knife!!