Recommendation? Sub $125 EDC/Moderate Use Flipper

I owned a CRKT Outrage briefly and it was a decent knife especially for the money ($40-$50). The looks didn't do it for me, but I must admit the action was terrific. The detent was perfect and the blade fired open authoritatively every time. The blade was perfectly centered and the factory edge was reasonably sharp.
  • Ball bearing pivot
  • One handed opening flipper
  • 3.3 mm blade thickness
  • 3.19" blade length
  • 6061 aluminum handle
  • Pocket Clip
  • Felt durable with solid lockup and no blade play
View attachment 737276
Seems like this fulfills almost all of my needs. Ill look into it some more, thanks!

The Spyderco Mantra 2 can generally be purchased on the Exchange within your price range. It is marginally smaller than the 0450; but not enough so to be an issue for most people. I don't particularly like small knives; but, after recently purchasing a Mantra 2 as a gift, I was impressed enough with it to buy one for myself. (I've handled the 0450, and had no interest in it... but that is totally subjective, and I know plenty of people that like the 0450)
I would rather not buy a used knife BUT I'll keep an eye on the exchange. I've never had a Spyderco but also been intrigued so it would be cool to try one out. Thanks for the recommendation!

ON8875_LS1R.jpg

boker quaiken whatever size you like. Great flipper and fun the play with. I think I paid $120 for the CF version which is lighter than the TI slab one by about an ounce. IM sure there are some great kizer flippers out there for around that price point. I have also heard great things about the Steel Will CutJack. This is a good review of it. Its an m390 blade in sub $100 to maybe 150...if I remember correctly which... to my knowledge is the only knife with that steel in that relative price range.

Last edited:
Crkt Fossil. Flips well.
Buck Vantage Pro. Great grind on an s30v blade. Excellent edc for the money.

If considering the ZT 0450, check out the G10 version. A little cheaper than than the CF and Ti versions.

100 dollars, can't believe Buck Marksman has no mention yet, it's the funesterest flipper I own.

I would just try and get the 450... I would try to handle one though. If it fits your hands you can't really beat it for that price.
I think thats what I'll do. Been trying to find a time to go to Cabelas and get one in hand.

boker quaiken whatever size you like. Great flipper and fun the play with. I think I paid $120 for the CF version which is lighter than the TI slab one by about an ounce. IM sure there are some great kizer flippers out there for around that price point. I have also heard great things about the Steel Will CutJack. This is a good review of it. Its an m390 blade in sub $100 to maybe 150...if I remember correctly which... to my knowledge is the only knife with that steel in that relative price range.
Both seem like pretty cool knives :) Perfect size as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

Crkt Fossil. Flips well.
Buck Vantage Pro. Great grind on an s30v blade. Excellent edc for the money.
Blade is a little to long for my liking on the fossil. The vantage seems like a great little knife though. Heard tons of great reviews. For some reason it just doesn't excite me that much... Not sure why. Thanks for the recommendations though!

If considering the ZT 0450, check out the G10 version. A little cheaper than than the CF and Ti versions.
I wasn't even aware a G10 version existed! Thanks for letting me know! If I cant convince my parents on the $160 Ti version then I'll keep the G10 as a backup. I kinda like the looks of the Ti knife though. Thanks man! :)

100 dollars, can't believe Buck Marksman has no mention yet, it's the funesterest flipper I own.
I was REALLY REALLY interested in the Marksman. I was going to get the G10 version from SK but then I heard a compliant about having to adjust it pretty often. I also heard a complaint that if you drop it the wrong way it will knock the Lock out of position and cause it to be adjusted. I still am really interested in the Marksman and I love Buck knives although these things kinda turn me off.

I was REALLY REALLY interested in the Marksman. I was going to get the G10 version from SK but then I heard a compliant about having to adjust it pretty often. I also heard a complaint that if you drop it the wrong way it will knock the Lock out of position and cause it to be adjusted. I still am really interested in the Marksman and I love Buck knives although these things kinda turn me off.

The aluminum handled ones don't do that. I've had no adjustments needed, and it's dead centered with solid lockup.

The Spyderco Mantra 2 can generally be purchased on the Exchange within your price range. It is marginally smaller than the 0450; but not enough so to be an issue for most people. I don't particularly like small knives; but, after recently purchasing a Mantra 2 as a gift, I was impressed enough with it to buy one for myself. (I've handled the 0450, and had no interest in it... but that is totally subjective, and I know plenty of people that like the 0450)

How was the lockup on your Mantra 2 and gift specimen?

I just got one, lockup is great but basically centered on the blade tang, I would be happier if it were a good deal earlier for a ~$180 knife.

I think I have decided to get the ZT 0450. Seems like an awesome blade and fits my requirements. My only worry is that it may be to small... I was going to try and get it in hand at Cabelas but I think $30 in gas money may not be worth it. SO, I have decided to get it at Knifecenter because they offer free shipping and I can use Paypal. Anyone have an experience with Knifecenter's returns? If I'm not happy with the size I would immediately send it back so it's not like it will have any wear. Let me know if you guys have a better option for me as well :) Thanks again for all the help, you guys are really great!

Alternatively, could someone that owns the knife with 'big hands' tell me what they think? Or even give me their hand dimensions? (this one sounds a little dumb, but hey worth a shot lol) I just really dont want to be screwed on the return.

Back