TAD Dauntless

egally08

Gold Member
Hey guys, I just received my TAD Prototype Dauntless in the mail. For the majority of you that have never owned one, Buy one. Right now! Really though, I thought my Sebenza's were nice and smooth, this thing is on a whole other level. It feels as if there is literally zero tension on the blade while opening and closing. The craftsmanship is outstanding as well.

I am very picky about my knives, and there are only two things I do not like about this knife.

CONS:

1. It has a radius lock face, like that of a old style strider. Which means the lock face is at a pretty decent angle. Now it locks up at probably 10% and is completely smooth to disengage, while also having zero blade play issues. This does not necessarily mean it is going to develop lock rock, but it sucks that I am going to have to worry about it, because I will actually be using this knife.

2. Like I stated before, it feels as if there is no tension on the blade, it swings so smooth, while also locking up tight. The problem is, the piviot is slightly snug, but it could be tightened a lot more. When you do tighten is more, it puts a lot of pressure on the blade within a cm of a turn. So this isn't really a negative because it has that nice sweet spot, but if you have owned a sebenza, you know that you can tighten it as much as you can and it will not effect the tension on the blade.

PROS:

Everything else.

This knife is an outstanding piece. It fits awesome in my medium/large hands, very secure and very comfortable. The Jimping is nice and sharp, but not so much to hurt you.

The pocket clip is outstanding. It disappears when you stick it in your pocket. It has a lowrider clip, and you really can't even see the knife when its there. It is a little bit thicker then the sebenza, but I think it carries just as good if not better.

It is also the perfect balance of being able to flick it very easily, and also being an utter joy to just open and close smoothly.
The Dauntless has a deep choil, and it serves its purpose very well, and is quite comfortable to hold while choked up.

Alright guys, sorry this is so long winded, but I noticed there are not many reviews/first impressions on this knife. I really think this will become one of my favorite/prefect knives, at least for me. So I will be using this and make it my EDC blade. There is almost no actually performance reviews on this knife because noone really uses it when they do have it. So I will make another thread in a couple weeks to let everyone know how its doing and holding up

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions or if I missed anything.

Notice how Clean and thin the cut out for the lockbar is compared to the Sebenza

That is one question I cannot seem to get an answer for. I have searched it, and asked around, but no one seems to know. If I went solely on quality, Id say Hinderer :)

Nice knife!! If memory serves me right TAD is working with Great Lakes Waterjet Inc. for the production Dauntless.

Nice knife!! If memory serves me right TAD is working with Great Lakes Waterjet Inc. for the production Dauntless.

I wonder if that is true, Great lakes is a one man operation. If he is doing the cutting of the frames and blades, I wonder who is grinding, finishing and assembling the knives. If Great lakes is doing it, that would be more like a custom then a production since it is only the one guy that owns and operates great lakes. You know every piece would be perfect then.

If anyone else knows anything, I would love to hear it. I might call them and ask.

Back