$tarmate, what's up with the price?

Hell, if I think a knife is too expensive, then I just don't buy it. Easy. No sense in starting a thread over it.

While I think the OP went overboard with his post, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title "Starmate, what's up with the price"?
Is it not acceptable to ask why a knife costs what it costs?
I know I'd love to hear about improved tolerances, newer design features, or any unknown aspects about this certain knife and it's price.

Someone could say to you "If you don't agree, don't participate in the thread", but I don't see how that's helpful, at all.

With a good attitude, I think we can talk about almost anything and learn something along the way. :D

While I think the OP went overboard with his post, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title "Starmate, what's up with the price"?
I know I'd love to hear about improved tolerances, newer design features, or any unknown aspects about this certain knife and it's price.

Someone could say to you "If you don't agree, don't participate in the thread", but I don't see how that's helpful, at all.

With a good attitude, I think we can talk about almost anything and learn something along the way. :D

You are correct, it is acceptable to ask why. My mistake. What I took offense to was the OP's attitude.

I would venture to guess it has something to do with the cost of manufacturing knives in japan and the relatively high current value of the Japanese Yen. Producing knives in Japan is currently as costly, or even more so than producing them in the US which would explain the higher price of recently introduced Japanese made models.

If that's the case, Spyderco should maybe move everything to Golden. It sounds like it would be a win-win.

Maybe the OP's tone was a bit inflamatory, but I can't say I disagree-

compare it to the para 2:

-Nested SS liners (just as much if not more to produce)
-G10 handes (same material)
-S30V steel (I think most would consider this a premium steel vs. VG-10)
-The para 2 blade is smaller

I don't pretend to know anything about production, tooling, etc. and I won't pretend to understand the arrangements of royalties/licenses with the designers. Considering the Para 2 is built in the USA, of the same materials and has an arguably better blade steel though, how do you justify spending almost twice as much money on the starmate?

I LOVE the design of the Starmate and don't mind paying a premium for "luxury" items, but the cost difference between this and other Spyderco's seems a bit unbalanced to me as well?

Exactly.

You can always ask, but I don't think Sal or Spyderco owes you an explanation about why they decide to price a certain item the way they did. I think that Sal has historically spoiled all us Spyderco fans by being such an active member of this online community. But to ask why they are charging so much for item X just seems a little insulting if you ask me.

As far as design and tolerance improvements, that would be a totally different discussion than this thread started out as. Asking a company to justify their pricing is just bad taste. Again if their price is out of line with the intended market, it simply won't be a good seller for them. But that is their business.
My business is to buy or not to buy.

If that's the case, Spyderco should maybe move everything to Golden. It sounds like it would be a win-win.

Isnt the Golden part of Spyderco smaller than the ones in Japan and even Taiwan? Would they be able to keep up with all the extra workload?

The Manix2 XL can be had all over for at or less than $105, the original Manix2 is right around $75. Lots of good value priced options out there. ;)[/QUOTE

This is why I'm "up in arms, with the company". I apologize to those if I come off brash, but I'm a fan of Spyderco too. That's why I just don't understand what's going on with their pricing structure. And you know what? At these prices I won't buy these models because there are other knives in this price point with far better value. But the truth is, I would like to own some of these knives, again, going back to being a fan of Spyderco. The only reason why I bothered to post this thread is to voice my disdain to Spyderco. I'd like to think this form gives me the ability to do that. I digress.

I understand your post about the need for retooling, but couldn't they offer the customer something else for added value, i.e. a different steel?

If it is above your means, i suggest you wait for a discounted one on the secondary market since it is a production folder and will not have a set limited number made.

You can always ask, but I don't think Sal or Spyderco owes you an explanation about why they decide to price a certain item the way they did. I think that Sal has historically spoiled all us Spyderco fans by being such an active member of this online community. But to ask why they are charging so much for item X just seems a little insulting if you ask me.

As far as design and tolerance improvements, that would be a totally different discussion than this thread started out as. Asking a company to justify their pricing is just bad taste. Again if their price is out of line with the intended market, it simply won't be a good seller for them. But that is their business.
My business is to buy or not to buy.

I respect your position, but I disagree. It's the customer that supports these companies. In my mind I have a right, as a supporter. I'm doubtful it would happen, but what if their products didn't do well due to certain business decisions, resulting in the company being bought out, or worse. It has happened to a few...I'd rather let them know how I, the customer, feels right off the bat, when I see something that looks to be off. That way they can take that feedback and perhaps tweak their business model to allow them to remain a viable company for the end user.

I don't understand why the Ulize and Starmate both have the same MSRP, yet the Ulize I'm seeing around 45-50 dollars cheaper, so far. Of course that is up to the dealers, I suppose and I would think maybe be closer as more Starmates become available. Most any knife is a bit higher at the start.

I was wrong, checked again the Ulize is about 50 cheaper MSRP. :eek:

I love the idea, but life is not that simple. I read on this forum that many people cannot buy para2 in the flavor they want. Golden is fairly small plant and per Sal up to capacity, so many models have to be made outside. Also I do not think that if Starmate was made in Golden, it would be much less expensive.

In my mind I have a right, as a supporter.

Ummm.....no. You have no "right" to anything. You are a potential customer, not a stockholder or investor - they don't owe you anything other than the warranty on the product you may purchase.

Could have been put more nicely but the OP has got a point. It doesn't add up:

Para2: US made and arguably a more complex design and construction, $108.
Starmate: Jap made, simpler liner lock design, $180.

If we assume production cost for Starmate is less and margins are the same, then almost $100 is going to royalties to Terzuola??? I think if it was US made, then it'll be easier to swallow.

This is the same crap you pulled about Southern Grind over in the Emerson forum....... Again, don't buy it. No one cares if you buy it or not.

Don't be such a negative nancy. The southern grind is 14c28n steel, priced at 180-200+ dollars. This is not the correct forum anyway, we're talking about spyderco.

Ummm.....no. You have no "right" to anything. You are a potential customer, not a stockholder or investor - they don't owe you anything other than the warranty on the product you may purchase.

I am a customer. I own several spyderco blades, with the intent to own more. I am part of their customer base. Without customers, they would not be getting a paycheck.

Please try and stay on topic.

I bought the Ulize last week and I'm really liking it. I just got my shipping notice today for the Starmate. I'll let you know how awesome it is when it comes.

To all the members giving me a hard time about what needs to be said, perhaps you need a spyderco tshirt to show your support. It's available for sale on Spyderco's website; only 34.95.

:jerkit

Last edited by a moderator:
The price can be justified based on the costs associated with the tooling, currency exchange, raw materials, etc. This in no way means every consumer has to be satisfied with it. It also does not mean it should not be discussed. Not every business decision is the right one, not every product meets the needs of the market. And compounding the issue is that other products from the same company can be said to offer better features or a better value. If that is the case, then certain models are going to be on the discontinued list. Maybe these knives are a hit, maybe they are priced too high for the market. Either way, it is the consumer side that sets the price on goods and determines what actually sticks around.

It isn't about what something cost to make, it's what people are willing to pay for it.

I think the major issue here is that it's an awesome design and everyone WANTS to buy it. Unfortunately, Spyderco has "spoiled" us with comparable (or arguably superior) models available for much less money... This set a pricing precedent that may be proving hard for them to maintain!

Back