$tarmate, what's up with the price?

Lots of factors, involved. The relative values of the dollar and yen are a factor, as is the fact that the "base version" PM2 is one of two Golden knives Spyderco has decided, for whatever reason, to sell at a lower than normal markup. In addition, the Starmate is a collaboration model, which means there's another mouth to feed. Bob Terzuola is one of the "super stars" of the custom knife world, so it's certainly possible that he commands a higher per unit royalty than some of Spyderco's other collaborators. There's also the "educated guess" that needs to be made with every new model as to how many units the tooling costs can safely be spread out over. Even though the Starmate was brought back in answer to a bunch of requests on this and other forums, the original ones didn't exactly fly off the shelves, so I'm guessing the sales projections for the new version are considerably lower than those for the PM2.

Hi Duro,

thanx for your input. Our prices are based on our costs and are pretty consistent. The Yen is stronger than the dollar and this maker is expensive.

sal

See in bold above. I would like to pay 50 bucks for a brand new Military, but it ain't gonna happen.

--Sal, Thanks for taking the time to give me your explanation. I appreciate it.

Perspective brother. Just because you can say it, doesn't mean it "needs to be said.".

great sig line material :thumbup:

gentlemen, please remember our rules: discuss the topic, not each other. keep criticism constructive, and criticism of each other, friendly.

I would love to get my hands on a new Starmate...guys the price is kind of steep but be glad u don't have to pay shipping all the way to Europe like me and then customs and so forth

The world's economy is in crisis and the fact that Mr. Glesser has resurected the Starmate with new tooling and everything with a top of the line maker in Japan should be making all of us happier that we have" Santa " at our disposal....

How much was the Golden made SM, $150ish?
Now that its made over seas, jack up the price 30 bucks??

Starmate has the same basic construction of the $130 millie, why the price increase?
How much was the Golden made SM, $150ish?
Now that its made over seas, jack up the price 30 bucks??

Dude, All your questions have been thoroughly discussed already earlier in this 6 page thread. Seriously, just read... If you still have the same questions afterwards, then I don't know what to tell you, maybe...not buy it?

I must be crazy, I have an order with New Graham for the new Starmate and a Case Bose Lanny's Clip. I also plan on dropping some hard earned coin at the Chesapeake Knife Show this December. AND, visiting a knife shop on a hiking trip this weekend.

It really is a disease, just get a Starmate and embrace the madness.

Its quality you buy, Is a Sebenza worth 400 dollars for just the material? NOPE! The quality and reliablility is what you are getting.

Starmate went for about 100 bucks back in 98, now it's going for 175. Pretty much in-line with anything else these days. After all how much was gas then? About a buck a gallon and change.

Back