1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Tasting ladle

Discussion in 'Around the Grinder' started by oldanvilyoungsmith, Jun 14, 2012.

1. oldanvilyoungsmith

oldanvilyoungsmith

Feb 7, 2011
    Just finished this up today. Made it for a blacksmithing demo for some kids who were visiting the farm.

Ladle head forged from mild sheet steel, and riveted onto a 1/4" mild steel handle. Heavily wirebrushed then coated with beeswax finish.

Perfect for checking that batch you have running in the still..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then my big dirty hand showing how that funky looking handle fits.
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Ayres

Brian Ayres

Feb 4, 2011
    Batch?? In NC? :rolleyes:

Talking about cookies?:eek:

Nice. I bought a swage block and it has multiple ladle/spoon depressions. I'm looking forward to making something like that.

I bet the kids enjoyed the demo!!

3. oldanvilyoungsmith

oldanvilyoungsmith

Feb 7, 2011

yes, cookies made with copper and yeast....;)

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    No,No,No, you take a 8" bar of 1/2" round mild steel, upest the end to a 1" ball and forge out the spoon, draw down the rest to 1/4" square, taper the tail, and twist. That is how Sam does it.

5. oldanvilyoungsmith

oldanvilyoungsmith

Feb 7, 2011
    I'm saving those projects for when I have a power hammer. I don't have the time to do that by hand.

6. silver_pilate

silver_pilate

Oct 30, 2002
    Don't have the time? Or don't have Sam's massive muscly arms to do that by hand? :D :) We all know that Sam likes to do things the hard way ;).

Great looking ladle!

--nathan