Testing a MS Scagle Camp knife

Gentlemen

Remember the chop test with the Busse HOFSH LE and The Cold Steel Trail Master?
Well the time has come to test a Large Scagel Camp knife made by MS Doug Noren.
The knife did not come with a very good edge so I had to sharpen it on my huge Translucent Arkansas stone:D ahhhh that felt good. nothing like breaking in a new knife in the + $1000 range :eek:

The knife:

Blade convex forged O1 steel 23,5 cm (9.25")
Overall 38 cm (14.96")
Stock is 9 mm thick (.355") :eek:
Weight 730 gr. :D

After sharpening the knife for about 10 min the knife was able to shave hair.

No chopping today, sorry, stay tuned.

Cheers,

André

DougNorenScagelCampknife.jpg

DougNorenScagelCampknife2.jpg

NorenScagelCampknifeandstones.jpg

NorenScagelCampknifesharpening.jpg

NorenScagelCampknifesharp.jpg

I am pretty confused about the stock thickness :confused: . Is it a common Scagel style thickness or were the originals thinner? Do you know about that?

Don´t hesitate, start testing. Your first were great.

Have you spoken to the maker about that? Maybe he would be interested in the result and maybe he would tell you before, what he would expect of the knife behaviour.

Looking forward to seeing your use.

BTW, what's that other smaller stone you have that looks like marble?

Blop said:
I am pretty confused about the stock thickness :confused: . Is it a common Scagel style thickness or were the originals thinner? Do you know about that?

Don´t hesitate, start testing. Your first were great.

Have you spoken to the maker about that? Maybe he would be interested in the result and maybe he would tell you before, what he would expect of the knife behaviour.

I have no contact with the maker and do not know if he has a site or not.
I do not know the original size of the Scagel knives but knives fro the old days wher not 3" knives like today, think of jim Bowie's knife:D

Grapevine

BTW, what's that other smaller stone you have that looks like marble?

The smaller stone is a natural stone but much finer then the Translucent Arkansas. I would rate it grit 2000.

Thanks for the interest. I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

André

Looking at the blade you won't be choppin' long before you have two pieces and I ain't talkin' wood.....if it is made like an original Scagel.

500jefferyDK said:
The smaller stone is a natural stone but much finer then the Translucent Arkansas. I would rate it grit 2000.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that stone? I'm always on the lookout for a good one. Nice Scagel repro by the way. :thumbup:

Beautiful knife.... I like the way you presented it with the leather hunting vest
and porkupine quills.We need info on the stones

Evil Eye Earl said:
Looking at the blade you won't be choppin' long before you have two pieces and I ain't talkin' wood.....if it is made like an original Scagel.
I'm curious to know what you're referring to here. Are you saying the tangs are too weak, or that O-1 is too brittle or something? I'm willing to give a master smith the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to make a big knife that won't break in half the first time it's used.

the possum said:
I'm curious to know what you're referring to here. Are you saying the tangs are too weak, or that O-1 is too brittle or something? I'm willing to give a master smith the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to make a big knife that won't break in half the first time it's used.

I hope so to :D
We will see tomorroe;)

TorzJohnson Quote:
Originally Posted by 500jefferyDK

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get that stone? I'm always on the lookout for a good one. Nice Scagel repro by the way.

I bought the stone in a knife store in Denmark and it was the only one, there are no name or markings on the stone, sorry, I do not even know what kind of stone it is cut from. It is the best stone I have for finishing the edge and it works great after the translucent Arkansas.

Cheers,

André

the possum said:

The heft of the blade and it not being a full tang knife (if it is made like original Scagels)makes it weak at the handle and blade....not made for heavy chopping that is why he (Scagel) made axes also.

Evil Eye Earl said:
The heft of the blade and it not being a full tang knife (if it is made like original Scagels)makes it weak at the handle and blade....not made for heavy chopping that is why he (Scagel) made axes also.

Look where the stag is pinned. Seems to have plenty of tang.

Rat Finkenstein

I agree about the tang.
Not as solid as the HOFSH LE but the weight is about the same and I look forward to seeing how it performs vs. the Busse. I like the convex grind and edge.

Cheers,

André

If the maker did the hidden tang right, there shouldn't be any problems at all with chopping with it.

Evil Eye Earl said:

Not exactly sure what you are talking about...a hidden tang should be able to handle pretty much anything a fulltang can handle if its done right. All that force is distributed evenly, and this is a pretty long hidden tang at that....maybe with some cheap knockoff what you claim might be true, but im thinking the MS knows how to make a knife...

Hidden full tang? Did you just invent something?

Ever seen a Katana? Those are hidden tang as well, and only held by a wooden pin....i think you are way out in left field with your line of thought...

Back