The 800 pound gorilla in the room...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

People that know me understand that by nature, if I have a question I simply ask it, regardless of the sensitivity of the topic at hand. It's not me being uncouth or invasive, I feel I should be able to ask any question and receive an honest answer. That being my preface...

Why was SMKW the retailer chosen as the distributor for the 250 limited run of each tweener?
Why was it the Beckerheads did not receive so much as a "Hey guys, heads up..."
Why is it even after the thread came out that they were made available through SMKW, no one from KA-BAR has said anything?

I understand our access to the Forums is a privelage, not a right.
I understand that business is business and personal is personal.

What I don't understand is how this has gone down as it has, as we are KA-BAR/Becker's most loyal fan base.
Remember, by the nature of this association we tread upon the thin line that separates business from personal.
I am not alone when I say I have taken this somewhat personally.

Regards,
Ark

Yeah, I wondered why SMKW, as well. Obviously, the timing of the release was a surprise to those involved, but that just goes to show what kind of shop they are. It'd have been great if Tomars could have landed this, although I'm not sure what kind of volume he can handle up-front costs on.

I know i will catch hell for this... But for the same reason you don't have a Machaxe 6 weeks after it was supposed to come out. It seems as though there head doesn't know what the hands are doing at any given time. That's just my opinion from what I have seen.

Didn't sit well with me either.

No one has prob noticed, but I haven't posted in the "I just ordered a limited edition 16" thread.

Congrats to everyone who got one by the way

I just felt kinda' stupid ... " hey how about a passaround"
"hey this thing is great" "Hey ...

I've been in Business most of my life. There's a way to do things and there's a way not to. This (to me) was the later.

The way the BK 10 was released should have been the blue print (again - to me)

With all that said, I'm not peaved with any mods, or Ethan. Ya'll are great. From what I've read most of you were as surprised as we'all were.

Just the business siide of this release was a wrong, to a great customer base.

JMHO.

Still love Beckers. Wouldn't give SMKW the time of day though.

Yep.

Same thing did not sit well with me. I hate SMKW, in my opinion they suck.'

It is true Ark, that we walk upon the thin line that separates personal for business.

I'm sure we all mean what has been posted here very respectfully, if it wasn't for Ethan, the terrific Trio, and Toooj, we wouldn't have any of this.

thanks for all you do.

I think those are all fair questions you brought up Ark.

Why did Kabar choose SMKW? My guess is because they offered to buy ALL of the roll stamped tweeners.

Would I have preferred that Tomars got the nod? Yes. However, I think it makes business sense for Kabar to accept an offer to buy the whole lot. A lot less risk for them if they take a long time to sell. Kabar is in the business of manufacturing knives, not retail sales of knives. That's why they have distributors.

Frankly, with how long it took for the BK10LE's to sell out (and I'm to blame for that too I guess) I don't blame them one bit.

As for why WE weren't informed in any official capacity? I think this post from Bladite says a lot....

those are apparently the "secret protos"

afaik, they were not suppsoed to announce or ship until April 1st. either something changed, or they are breaking rules. bigtime.

I have the feeling these weren't supposed to be available as soon as they did. IF that's the case, I'm going to give Kabar, Ethan Becker, and the mods here the benefit of the doubt that plans were in place to announce the release at the appropriate time. It wouldn't surprise me to find, if nowhere but behind closed doors, the people at Kabar feel this didn't go down as smoothly as they'd hoped.

This is all just my opinion though.

I think those are all fair questions you brought up Ark.

Why did Kabar choose SMKW? My guess is because they offered to buy ALL of the roll stamped tweeners.

Would I have preferred that Tomars got the nod? Yes. However, I think it makes business sense for Kabar to accept an offer to buy the whole lot. A lot less risk for them if they take a long time to sell. Kabar is in the business of manufacturing knives, not retail sales of knives. That's why they have distributors.

Frankly, with how long it took for the BK10LE's to sell out (and I'm to blame for that too I guess) I don't blame them one bit.

As for why WE weren't informed in any official capacity? I think this post from Bladite says a lot....

I have the feeling these weren't supposed to be available as soon as they did. IF that's the case, I'm going to give Kabar, Ethan Becker, and the mods here the benefit of the doubt that plans were in place to announce the release at the appropriate time. It wouldn't surprise me to find, if nowhere but behind closed doors, the people at Kabar feel this didn't go down as smoothly as they'd hoped.

This is all just my opinion though.

x2. Well said.

I wasn't thrilled with the way it went down either. At least some notice that they were available would have been nice. I have chosen to wait and buy the standard version through my vendor of choice Tomar when they become available.

Then again if life was fair, I'd be tall and good looking.

Ka-Bar supported Ethan's gathering and continues to support this site with giveaways and information. However we as site participants help generate new customers with our enthusiasm for the Becker/Ka-Bar brand. It's a two way street. Like any family, this is just one of those uncomfortable moments that just happens. Hopefully everyone can learn from it, and perhaps handle things differently in the future.

had it not been for this forum, i would never have bought my first BK7 and i wouldn't have begun this bloody addiction that made me buy a BK9 and BK5 yesterday

and I wouldn't be looking for new scales and sheathes for any of them. I'd have been perfectly content with my Cold Steel junk... damned forum!

Hhere's my thoughts, they're probably kinda contrary but offered not as gospel but rather just as a contribution to what I hope will be a very interesting discussion.

1. I don't think there's any thin wall between biz and personal. It's a ten-foot concrete block wall, and any personal treatment the fanbase has received should be considered a gift given by some nice people. These nice people were doing this partly I would guess because they also feel that it's good business. I'm very grateful for the personal attention I've received from KA-BAR and their agents (the free Warthog, the replaced Heavy Bowie, the Toooj answers, etc) but have NO ILLUSIONS that I am owed a single thing despite the large quantity of time I've spent here, the KA-BAR knives other people have bought due to me, and the KB knives I myself have bought. If KB support of the Beckerheads evaporates overnight, I'll shrug and carry on same as before.

Why was SMKW the retailer chosen as the distributor for the 250 limited run of each tweener?
Why was it the Beckerheads did not receive so much as a "Hey guys, heads up..."
Why is it even after the thread came out that they were made available through SMKW, no one from KA-BAR has said anything?

I'm willing to bet it was that SMKW ponied up the most cash, and also had the highest visibility. That's a grail store for a lot of knife lovers, and my impression is that they could stand to improve their KB and Becker offerings... this could be a strategy to move more KB and Becker knives through that store.

We got no heads up because SMKW broke street date, which is absolutely in line with their reputation for awful customer service and clueless retail employees. KB probably didn't care much for those latter things at first, because people obviously continue to spend money at SMKW. I bet KB cares more now :)

And no one from KB has said anything yet because this is how KB operates. They didn't say anything suring the whole SHOT Show thing, which I think was kind of a fiasco. They had no press releases available for SHOT. No statement about the Machax delays. Etc.

BUT... we should remember what KB *has* done in the short time I've been a Beckerhead. Uncountable free knives for BFC giveaways. The LEBK10 thing, which I'm sure cost serious bread & manhours and which is a GLORIOUS opportunity for BK&T fans. Preferential treatment when it comes to replacements. The art giveaway that just ended. Support of BK&T with a steady stream of great tools offered at a reasonable price. etc.

AND they got me a sabre ground BK16! I'm so stoked they put those out to retail, despite the line's move to a FFG.

So anyway, not sure what my point was anymore other than I'm a KA-BAR fan.

BUT... we should remember what KB *has* done in the short time I've been a Beckerhead. Uncountable free knives for BFC giveaways. The LEBK10 thing, which I'm sure cost serious bread & manhours and which is a GLORIOUS opportunity for BK&T fans. Preferential treatment when it comes to replacements. The art giveaway that just ended. Support of BK&T with a steady stream of great tools offered at a reasonable price. etc.

I agree. I am Thankful for what we do get from the Becker/Kabar team.

I have no qualms about them selling the supply to SMKW, that is business and was probably the best offer on the table.

I am however a bit shocked there was no heads up given to us that the special 1st run was going to be made available for sale. I like to think it's becuase Ka-bar expected SMKW to hold it till a later date and not release them yet.

Ethan posted in the original smkw thread that they had mention there we prototypes to the people at smkw and they immediately said they would take them and Ethan and company said SOLD. I'm sure there were MANY different thoughts and ideas of how to handle the FPR's but that's stuff goes out the window if A) there were never any promises made and B) if someone comes along and throws money on the table.

I for one am happy that they put out a special run, especially since we won't ever see the runs like we did with camillus (I.e. bk9HH and desert tan versions etc) and have no qualms who they sold em to because it is a business. We aren't owed a thing, but they do know how to treat their fan base right with giving us sneak peaks and giveaways and Ethan and toooj frequenting this area and answering all the crazy questions we can come up with. Would.I have liked a beckerhead special like the bk10 you damn tooting, but I'm not upset there wasn't. The opposite actually. I'm happy they were even released.

As far as the BK10LEs taking so long to sell out....well, many many disagree with me but it isn't one of the most popular models. I bought one, looked at it, and immediatley sold it to one of my best friends who wasn't a Beckerhead at the time (but is now). I just wish they'd talk more about the status of upcoming releases. I mean, WE didn't pull "Feb 1" out of our butts, thats what we were told.

I also don't care for SMKW.

That being said, I am still a Kabar fan. They are in business to make money, ultimately. But the Beckerheads ARE the inner circle fan club, so some info here and there would be nice. Word of mouth DOES sell knives, and we all have real big mouths....Raise your hand if you made one or more people into Becker fans that weren't before. I know I have.

From the time I've been reading this forum I've seen that Becker customers are among the most loyal that there are anywhere. If the company starts messing with that and is not loyal to the customers then they might lose the loyalty of the customers.

From the time I've been reading this forum I've seen that Becker customers are among the most loyal that there are anywhere. If the company starts messing with that and is not loyal to the customers then they might lose the loyalty of the customers.

I don't know about THAT....It's not like there is something comperable to switch to.

Ibtl :D

Seriously though, I agree with Ark, a heads up would have been nice, business/personal aside. Someone knew, someone could have shared. Had to? Never. As stated, loyal fan base that does drive up sales. May of us are on the ESEE boards and others that aid in selling KB/Becker brand. Sense of entitlement? Maybe a little.

Updates on Machax? Would be nice as well.

I got my saber grind out of it though, I couldn't be happier with that.

Agree.

Which is why this type of release was such a surprise. Especially with all the build up and hype surrounding the "tweeners".

No worries - It's only a knife. Life goes on.

I would gladly have bought one from Kabar (see: bk 10 release)

But, SMKW ... not so much. I mean $13 for shipping ? Really ? Keep it.

They want $97 for a bk 7 ... $30 less at a river near you and FREE shipping (LOL)

But, joke's on me by the way these look to be selling eh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back