The Backwards Blade

The BB, Backwards Blade, started as a exotic reproduction but ended unceremoniously in a box in a trailer in Reno, somewhat afraid to come out.

What to do with this Sword? The edge is on the wrong side. Well, being as how I'm not a knife guy, but someone who appreciates things from their intrinsic worth, or babarianism, the Backwards Blade Yangdu sent for review will get reviewed by the backwards man.

Think of this sword as a hefty Tarwar with fullers and a carved handle, and you'd be right. It weighs 30 ounces and is 24.5" long. The fullers are well done. This one is by Sher. The spine out of the bolster starts at 3/8" and tapers to 1/4" thick for the blade proper.
The scabbard is made of carved Nepali Oak, and has a design on both ends.
The horn handle is wonderfully carved, with some textured half circles crawling up the sides, and a skull buster point on the end.

IT wants to be swung. There is a real feeling of impending power in a short, stout sword of this type. I liked chopping with it. It just seemed to be easier than with the Tarwar.
I took it outside in the mist and cut through a 3" Ponderosa Pine limb. It was easy. There were no deformations of any kind. I took a arkansas fine stone and ran it down the edge. It seemed to grip more inititially from the bottom of the edge, very slightly, and engaged uniformly for the rest of the travel until I got to the tip, where it encountered more resistance. Not a scientific test, but much of the edge is hardened.

This sword suits me, and if I did not have my Tarwar I'd think seriously about it. It's a stouter Tarwar, with more elegant design and craftsmanship put into it. Too bad for Yangdu it came out backwards. She's hoping she can pay the Kamis at least for their time, and the price is blowout. This one has a small crack in the wooden scabbard that is easily fixed, and some hair line cracks in the horn handle. Hopefully the pictures will show up and you'll see what I"m talking about. Because of these flaws and my handling, Yangdu is asking 145 for this BB. She has 5 more or so at 165.00

Carved design in the horn handle, carved ends on the highly figured wooden scabbard, and fullers on the Tarwar blade.

All that work, just to break even, maybe. Anyone wanting a unique, nearly one of a kind blade, this is your chance.

munk

Every now and then I think back to that post you made about the aging trailer with the frame held together by defective khukuris. I can't recall the exact words but the gist of it always makes me chuckle

Are there any pics of the sword available, Munk? I really can't afford anything right now, but as Uncle Bill always said, "Debt is good":D So i just might be willing to take one of these off Yangdu's hands if it'll help out HI.

Jake

I sent the picts to Andy, and when he has time he'll kindly post them for me.

If you were going to have a sword, just one, and weren't sword crazy, this would be a nice one. It's short enough to have around. The edge shape is semi convex, and very stout. It's fancy, yet because of the mishap with the design is cheap. Stout, carved horn and wood and cheap; By God. An elegant tool for those who can't afford elegant tools.

munk

Munk, I've gotten no pics. I just checked my mail, and nothing. Resend them for me and I'll recheck in a few.

Sounds like a sword for someone with no sword training. Unfortunately I just bought a bolo project.

Andy, I sent the picts again. If you don't see them, check your spam filter or quarentine areas.

thanks

munk

Munk, are the handles turned around on all of them, or just the one?

I can imagine it would be easier to swing than the Tarwar, even with the backwards handle because of the turn in the handle. Looking forward to seeing pics. Seems a shame after all that carving, but hopefully something can be salvaged.

Norm

As promised. Here are the pics of the Backwards Blade. Sounds like the title of an epic poem to me.

More to come.

I think it's easier to swing, and chops well, because it is shorter than the tarwar.

munk

Looks like a beauty to me, and an easy project to turn the dang handle around the right way too.

thank you, Andy.
The tip is there so you can see how the fullers end; the lines are very smooth. We see the crack in the scabbard and the small hair line cracks in the horn. Nothing changed as i chopped. I'd superglue those cracks.

When I chopped with the Tarwar there was often a feeling of not quite being in the right spot. Probably like a baseball bat, it was sensitive to the sweet zone. I don't think on this shorter blade picking the right spot was as critical. I liked that. Shorter length would also be good for those in-corridor zombie fights you sometimes encounter in the Big City.

I guess I should add for any curiosity, this sword is being sold by HI and I have no financial interest in it, other than being reimbursed shipping after it is sent out to owner.
There's been a whole lot of price hikes Yangdu has had to pay recently, and I've urged her to tell you guys but she has said nothing.

munk

sigh,
I actually do like these, but I just found out one of my room mates hasn't paid the utilities since May:eek: and they are turning the power off today. She is out of town till Fri and the other roomie doesn't have money either. Wish I could just pull $700 out of thin air, but there goes my knife money for a while.

Sometimes living with two girls isn't as fun as it should be:confused:

Andy,
you mean heat the handle, reverse it, and slather with epoxy?

munk

Andy,
you mean heat the handle, reverse it, and slather with epoxy?

munk

Yeah, my question exactly! How easy? I _really_ like the blade length and shape, but the handle throws me. I thought of chopping off that 90 degree angle (as with the D handle) and cutting finger grooves, but think that is a poor solution.

Thanks for any info Andy.

Norm

Andy, I sent the picts again. If you don't see them, check your spam filter or quarentine areas.
thanks
munk

if you can mail them, you should be able to use the likes of imageshack.us to throw them up, which also does the icons and resizings for you. magically. just a thought.

on the split wood here, and lately... there seems to be both an art and a science to curing wood... it can take a good long time to do it right. if wood that's only half-dry is processed and then used, it's going to split almost no matter how good you are to it. add the environment from which it came from, the slow boat shipping, and then storage in a desert trailer. well. yow.

i keep thinking of cheap/easy ways the wood might be stabilized, or oiled/preserved more, but come up at a loss.

re: the sword, pretty. not tempting for me as yet. swords? meh. i have a good one. i don't have training beyond some real simple basics. no utility or heritage in my life for that yet.

oh, serious question: are these considered blems, or straight up first rates?

bladite

This style sword should sell pretty well once the kamis get the handle right. I'd like to get one of these in the near future.

Bob

Back