The Hinderer no one is talking about!

I feel like the guy in Green Eggs and Ham.

Would you try one when you camp
or on a bus, maybe with a tramp
Would you try it if it were green
would you use it on a tangerine

Not at camp or on a bus with a tramp. Not if it were green or on a tangerine. I will not try one you fiend.

Just another model, does nothing for me although variety is nice and keeps things interesting they still make the XM 18. Also the two different color scales on a knife turn me off, the Hinderers that I own I have replaced the G10 scale with Ti ( which cost as much as a decent flipper). Who buys a car that has one half of the car one color and the other half another color?

Mine arrives tomorrow, blue working finish. I'll be sure to post some thoughts about it here.

The herd be changin'...

BAXvcI1.jpg

So far I'm more impressed by the Jurassic than I expected to be. Easily the most comfortable in hand of any Hinderer. And the higher flat grind makes for thinner edge, do better slicing performance than most other Hinderers I've owned.

The herd be changin'...

BAXvcI1.jpg

So far I'm more impressed by the Jurassic than I expected to be. Easily the most comfortable in hand of any Hinderer. And the higher flat grind makes for thinner edge, do better slicing performance than most other Hinderers I've owned.

Glad to hear the initial impressions are good!

Rick talks about two of his latest designs (Jurassic and Maximus) in this video from the 2017 Blade Show.

The Maximus is an awesome design and there'll be a single-edged model. Half-Track, MP-1 and Jurassic don't excite me so much except for the potential of the Hinderer Modular Backspacer System (HMBS) which will also appear in the Viper Hinderer Storm due out next month.

I did my Hinderer spa treatment on my new Jurassic this morning. Took the edge down to 17 degrees per side (tried 20 first, didn't care for it, needed just a bit more sliceyness). Added phosphor bronze washers, which noticeably helped the flipping action. I think that the Hinderer working finish tends to be a little less smooth initially on the action due to the rougher blasted finish. Takes a little time to break it in, but it's coming along nicely.

Took a great edge, too!

ShqTuiN.jpg

Of course I bought this one to replace my small blue XM18 slicer. And it, ahem...has replaced my small blue XM18 slicer...

gVRTJaJ.jpg

Last edited:
I did my Hinderer spa treatment on my new Jurassic this morning. Took the edge down to 17 degrees per side (tried 20 first, didn't care for it, needed just a bit more sliceyness). Added phosphor bronze washers, which noticeably helped the flipping action. I think that the Hinderer working finish tends to be a little less smooth initially on the action due to the rougher blasted finish. Takes a little time to break it in, but it's coming along nicely.

Took a great edge, too!

ShqTuiN.jpg

Of course I bought this one to replace my small blue XM18 slicer. And it, ahem...has replaced my small blue XM18 slicer...

gVRTJaJ.jpg

I have found that the Working Finish do take a little longer to wear in but they do wear in very nicely.

I have never tried bronze washers on any of mine. Might give it a try next time I am cleaning one of mine up!

I've actually been eyeing them on usamadeblade. When I can afford one I'd love to get my paws on a battle black too!

The fact different knives appeal to different people is what I like about the knife industry. If we all liked the same things my job would be pretty boring!

Are there plans to offer other blade shapes on the Jurassic?

At this time I have not heard of it happening but I would be shocked if they do not do some other blade shapes. Is there a particular grand you are hoping they will do?

Back