The Leatherman universal tool adapter

Wild Willie

Gold Member
I've had this since I was in college. Bought it at a place near where I was living at the time. It rode on my belt for several years, but has since been riding in my bag. Not something I use every day, but since I can't ever seem to find a 1/4" driver when I need one it pulls duty quite frequently pulling sheet metal screws from appliances and the chimney when it's time for sweeping. I normally just use it by itself, rather than slipping it over the closed pliers of a multi tool as originally intended.

Out of curiosity today I decided to see if it would be easily replaced should anything happen, and got a pretty serious case of sticker shock.

Does anyone else carry and use one, or are these just accumulating dust in the safes of collectors? I certainly can't be the only person ever to find one handy to keep around...IMG_20240122_172657455.jpg

Last edited:
I've had this since I was in college. Bought it at a place near where I was living at the time. It rode on my belt for several years, but has since been riding in my bag. Not something I use every day, but since I can't ever seem to find a 1/4" driver when I need one it pulls duty quite frequently pulling sheet metal screws from appliances and the chimney when it's time for sweeping. I normally just use it by itself, rather than slipping it over the closed pliers of a multi tool as originally intended.

Out of curiosity today I decided to see if it would be easily replaced should anything happen, and got a pretty serious case of sticker shock.

Does anyone else carry and use one, or are these just collecting dust in the safes of collectors? I certainly can't be the only person ever to find one handy to keep around...View attachment 2467060
Unique looking there, Wild Willie Wild Willie .

Say, any chance you could post a picture that shows how it slips over a closed LM?

Thank you friend.

Here you go. The notch slips over the closed pliers.
View attachment 2467119
The driver portion also locks into the 45 and 90 degree positions. It's by no means an end-all tool, but I've found it useful.
I love it, many thanks for the picture. That combination has some major torque behind it, wow. I wrongly pictured it with the tool opened, but closed, if that makes sense.

And it came in what looks like a real nice leather pouch. No flimsy nylon thingy like nowadays. Those were the days.

I actually bought the pouch separately. The case had a clip on the back of it at one point that had to be removed to fit, but Leatherman offered them as an accessory.

The old school pouches the tools used to come with were definitely the bee's knees. The one that came with my original wave (long since broken, currently sitting around waiting for me to work up the motivation to send it in) lasted for years before I had to replace it.

I actually bought the pouch separately. The case had a clip on the back of it at one point that had to be removed to fit, but Leatherman offered them as an accessory.

The old school pouches the tools used to come with were definitely the bee's knees. The one that came with my original wave (long since broken, currently sitting around waiting for me to work up the motivation to send it in) lasted for years before I had to replace it.
I have much experience in the "waiting for me to work up the motivation to..." department. A guy got t be good at something 😁

I have much experience in the "waiting for me to work up the motivation to..." department. A guy got t be good at something 😁
It's good to know I'm not alone. 🤣
There's a broken rebar kicking around here that could go in too, more detritus of a wild and intemperate youth. Switching to a swisschamp and pair of pliers has definitely saved me money on broken multi tools.

Last edited:
Thanks for the blast from the past. It triggered a vague recollection that I might have bought one many years ago at a gun show. So I went digging into my file cabinet of knives, tools, stocking stuffers, and accessories bought on sale. I found a Super Tool 200 bought new for $40, and the Tool Adapter bought new for $12. Saw the crazy prices on Ebay, wow! Since my pickup tool box is now reduced to an original Super Tool and an old (brass liners!) Alox Swiss Army knife, I might add the tool adapter to the glove box, if I can find room for it. It looks like there's clips for one additional bit in the case under the flat notched part of the adapter. Should I use that for a real #2 Phillips instead of the infamous kinda #1.5 Leatherman, or a #6 Torx for knife screws? The Phillips driver on the Supertool is more of a real #2, than the one on the PST, so maybe the Torx makes more sense. Too bad they don't make those nice leather pouches for the Tool Adapter any more. Thanks again for jogging my memory.

I've switched bits out over the years to better match what I encounter. Since the bits are mostly used removing bird houses from trees before we start working my assortment is mainly tailored to deck screws.

Last edited:
I have one , I also use it as a stand alone tool , but not on a regular basis , a well made tool.
They're most certainly sturdy. Even mounted on the pliers I've never felt like I was over torquing it. The screw heads or bit strip out well before the tool starts to feel strained.

Obviously I'm not in the know, but it seems like Leatherman discontinues the good stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Here's my set. It was bubble packed, and always missing one bit. Not sure if that was a glitch or them giving you one open spot for your favourite type.

4QWtmBS.jpg

lpIZ46D.jpg

Here's my set. It was bubble packed, and always missing one bit. Not sure if that was a glitch or them giving you one open spot for your favourite type.

4QWtmBS.jpg

lpIZ46D.jpg

That's a really sweet rig. It would've been nice to have everything together back when I carried mine. What tool is it?

That's a really sweet rig. It would've been nice to have everything together back when I carried mine. What tool is it?
I do not know. I looked it all over and there are no marks. It could just be a Costco only version. It was in a giant box on a pallet filled to the top like apples etc. Packaging was tossed 25 years ago.

I do not know. I looked it all over and there are no marks. It could just be a Costco only version. It was in a giant box on a pallet filled to the top like apples etc. Packaging was tossed 25 years ago.
Old school cool, regardless of the model. My super tool 200 is probably my favorite, even though I don't carry it anymore.

Back