The problem with 'survival' knives

...The trade-off is that the larger knife may make a hopeless spear point, or be poor at food prep, first aid, or the countless other tasks that a small knife performs much better. This got me thinking, what tasks are relevant in a survival situation? I just don't think I know.

Define survival situation. For me, a military shovel can be great too as 'survival' tool. You can sharpen it and have a decent machete and a well around weapon, you can use it to clean the ground / dig holes for your fire and you in a windy / snowy situation, you can use it for cooking etc etc etc. Is not the tool per se, but what you think a tool can do for you. If you think a big knife is not good for you, that knife will not be what you need. I think that for real survival, you must think out of the box*.

*This is the reason why some are testing big fixed knifes (instead a hatchet) to chop or split wood. Or the need for a carbon-steel blade when you don't have a ferro rod around but just rocks. Or the need for a strong spine and full tang, to be capable even digging with them (sticking it in the ground slowly and pulling toward you spine first not the cutting edge first), or to be sturdy enough to support your weight if required. All these things are not something a knife is doing on daily basis, but you might be glad to have this kind of tool in a particular situation. Or not.

At the end, is not the tool, but your brain that will help you in a survival situation. The capacity to improvise is the key imo.

Last edited:
bdmicarta, I've been looking for a similar bag. The one I've seen numerous times that I want but can't seem to find the technical name for is semi-circular in OD green, possibly an Army surplus item. You wouldn't know the name would you?

I recently acquired a CRKT chogan woods hawk, and I absolutely love it! Since I've had it, I haven't used my large knives as much. I have found that using the hawk is a much better chopping wood than a large knife, , plus with the geometry of the head, easily achieve a razor sharp edge, the head can be removed to do other tasks. So lately I have just been carrying a smaller knife around the 4-5 inch range. Either been carrying my Tops Intercepter or my newly acquired Gerber Strongarm.
Now the qualities I like to look for in any knife I use as an edc, utility, camping etc, is the quality of the steel. Yeah I watch YT reviews and read reviews I find online, but once I feel that the knife I want looks promising, I will buy it and test it myself. I won't ever recommend a knife or other tool to another person if I haven't owned and used it for quite some time, whether that may be 6 months or a year. With time and use, you will learn if the blade is durable, the edge retention, and its usefulness. Knives are like firearms. You dont wanna buy one and take it out in the field the next day. You have to practice with your new tool, or some cases, a new toy...lol. When ever I take a recently purchased knife out to camp, I always pack one that I have had for a while and can rely on, just in case. But when it comes down to the knife itself, whether its labeled as a survival knife, hunting or tactical, it all depends on what your intentions are and the tasks you expect to do. Its not so much on what the knife is labeled or marketed as, but more the handle ergonomics, blade geometry, steel, heat treatment, and overall design of the knife. We were all new to the knife market at one time. When ever someone asks me about knives who is fairly new to the market, I just always explain the importance of educating themselves about knives in general. Learn about different steels, knife designs, the different grinds, blade geometries, handle design and materials, and reputations of companies who produce knives. I learned the hard way. Spent money on blades I thought were cool, only to fail when I actually used them, producing blisters on my hands and so on. Then I finally just did a ton of research and realized what I wanted and where to look to make a much better, educated decision! I try to help others who ask to avoid the expensive part of trial and error like what I did, however once you start you knife addiction, it gets expensive either way! :)

Define survival situation. For me, a military shovel can be great too as 'survival' tool. You can sharpen it and have a decent machete and a well around weapon, you can use it to clean the ground / dig holes for your fire and you in a windy / snowy situation, you can use it for cooking etc etc etc. Is not the tool per se, but what you think a tool can do for you. If you think a big knife is not good for you, that knife will not be what you need. I think that for real survival, you must think out of the box*.

*This is the reason why some are testing big fixed knifes (instead a hatchet) to chop or split wood. Or the need for a carbon-steel blade when you don't have a ferro rod around but just rocks. Or the need for a strong spine and full tang, to be capable even digging with them (sticking it in the ground slowly and pulling toward you spine first not the cutting edge first), or to be sturdy enough to support your weight if required. All these things are not something a knife is doing on daily basis, but you might be glad to have this kind of tool in a particular situation. Or not.

At the end, is not the tool, but your brain that will help you in a survival situation. The capacity to improvise is the key imo.

Lots of wisdom in this little post! :thumbup:

Youtube is not reality, it's Youtube. There are a lot of posers and knucklheads and wanna-be experts on Youtube trying to be internet stars, feed their egos, and get attention. I don't personally know of anyone who has ever used a large fixed-blade to save themselves in the wilderness, but I also don't personally know of anyone who has used an emergency fire starter, flare gun, or satellite phone to save themselves in the wilderness.

This is right on. People want to think that they're primitive adventurers that must rely on wit and skill to survive in the wild. They need some crazy knife because they're going to be stuck in the woods with just the knife, and their will to survive!!

But in reality, the only exposure to the "wild" those people will have is going "camping" with coolers full of beer that they pull out of their pickup truck beds, while listening to county music and fighting with their wife while trying to set up a tent they just bought at Walmart.... but at least they have a big knife.

Now that I've offended beer drinkers, country music listeners, Walmart, and large knife users... I'm out!

Youtube is not reality, it's Youtube. There are a lot of posers and knucklheads and wanna-be experts on Youtube trying to be internet stars, feed their egos, and get attention. I don't personally know of anyone who has ever used a large fixed-blade to save themselves in the wilderness, but I also don't personally know of anyone who has used an emergency fire starter, flare gun, or satellite phone to save themselves in the wilderness.

This is right on. People want to think that they're primitive adventurers that must rely on wit and skill to survive in the wild. They need some crazy knife because they're going to be stuck in the woods with just the knife, and their will to survive!!

But in reality, the only exposure to the "wild" those people will have is going "camping" with coolers full of beer that they pull out of their pickup truck beds, while listening to county music and fighting with their wife while trying to set up a tent they just bought at Walmart.... but at least they have a big knife.

Now that I've offended beer drinkers, country music listeners, Walmart, and large knife users... I'm out!

Don't make large knives, do you? :p

EDIT: But you do! Swords even !!! :eek:

I picked up a CRKT Chogan Hawk a couple of months ago. It is my first "tomahawk" and I see a fair amount of utility in the woods with it. I like having the hammer head. Never really wanted a war hammer, but I suppose you never know if I get a wild urge. Like most large hatchets and axes, the Chogan is not an easy carry in the woods with other stuff unless you're car camping.

Back