Off Topic The Snark Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran across this yesterday and tried it out. Amazing little devil and gets a blade razor sharp fast.

I thought folks might like to see a panorama of the cliff we've been developing in northern Ontario.

cSYUUay.jpg

What you seem to be saying Gus is you want us all to hate you cause that is what "work" is for you?

Looks gorgeous man! Although I hope you get swarmed with flies just so you have SOMETHING not going your way, and I know they are already there so it isn't really a "curse" on you :D

I thought folks might like to see a panorama of the cliff we've been developing in northern Ontario.

cSYUUay.jpg
Man, what a beautiful place.

Looked into doing Blue Apron or a couple of those other mail order meal things, cause I love to cook but it takes a LONG time the way I do it. Turns out, they are stuffed full of CRAP! "Here do this 4 oz frozen salmon on top of a pumpkin puree and that should be enough food."

Our daughter gifted us a week of 3 meals. In order to receive the 3 'free' meals we had to sign up for an account but could 'cancel at any time'. Of course I forgot to cancel so we got 3 more that I didn't pick.

Overall the food was good and there seemed to be plenty. Wasn't too keen on some of the options but tried them anyway. Lot of prep. For those that always or mostly always eat a serious meal several nights a week it is a pretty good way to go. We don't. Most of our dinners are last minute and simple. I cancelled but could see the value for a couple who like to cook but are too busy to plan and shop to accomplish it.

See, it's a bit different for me. I don't mind planning and shopping. I actually like doing it cause I know what I'm looking for and what I want. Plus sometimes I will see something and will figure out how to add it to a meal. Like I just saw a recipe that used camembert cheese on a burger but I never would have thought of it until I saw it on the camembert cheese package. Never would have even had it cross my mind until that happened. Now I'm thinking a camembert cheese, breaded and fried on top of a burger with a red pepper jelly, would be AMAZING!

What you seem to be saying Gus is you want us all to hate you cause that is what "work" is for you?

Looks gorgeous man! Although I hope you get swarmed with flies just so you have SOMETHING not going your way, and I know they are already there so it isn't really a "curse" on you :D

LOL! We did get swarmed by black flies and had to cut the trip short. Gotta love this time of year in Ontario. Ugh.

Man, what a beautiful place.

Thanks, Dubz. That cliff is about 2 km long!

Looks awesome Gus!

Been checking your FB pictures too :D looks fun!

Looks awesome Gus!

Been checking your FB pictures too :D looks fun!

Thanks! It's a great area โ€“ just wish the bugs were not as much of a problem this time of year. Staying away until August when they will hopefully be dead! Did you go away this long weekend?

Nope! My sister came to visit. She is staying with my parents in Mississauga (about 20min from our place). We got together with them all day yesterday, and will meet up later this afternoon to go visit our Grandmother. Its nice when my kids and all their cousins can get together and play. There are 10 of them ranging in age from 10 months - 13 years old lol. Most of the boys fall into the 7-10 range so they all run off and play together. Yesterday we went for a walk around lake Wabukayne and followed the trail a little bit. I used to play around that area when I was a kid. Its a man-made lake, but the brush around it still has all the tunnels and pathways we carved out when I was younger. Most of them are fenced off now, but its still fun to take the kids for a walk :D

Sunny days no. 9, 10, and 11 for the year so far in the Seattle area happened over the weekend, which was thankfully when we had a campout planned, so we finally got some sun in the woods for the first time in seemingly forever.

Went out near Mt Rainier NP and chilled next to the Carbon river for a weekend, ''twas quite serene.

Qm5rXxA.jpg

GqnvRPy.jpg

6M15T28.jpg

0eZKyON.jpg

B2WLqWg.jpg

r8uSyne.jpg

HY7ny6b.jpg

Insanely jealous. What a beautiful place.

This is an epic pic KingMC KingMC .
Looks like a good time was had. So nice to finally have some sunshine!

View attachment 711334

I was trying to capture the essence of the PNW Beckerhead: cast iron, bacon, Rainier, and obviously a Becker.

The sun was almost alien but oh so welcome, I almost forgot what it was like to be in the woods and *not* get rained on.

Last edited:
Drove by Lagunitas today. Had no idea - that place is huge!

Yeah, it's a pretty large facility. I heard that they had opened a second brewery in Chicago. Just did a quick search and it seems that they are now wholly owned by Heineken. It seems that many of the craft breweries are being bought up by the larger beer companies as a way for the larger brewers to get a piece of the craft beer market. We've had that happen to Mill Street Brewery up here. It's now owned by Labatt. Looks like Goose Island is owned by Anheuser-Busch. Interesting consolidation...

It gets crazy. I worked in the beer industry for many years. Inbev is the devil. They want to consolidate all the beer in the world. Inbev already owned most of the small breweries around the globe. In 2008 Inbev purchased Anheuser-Busch solidifying them as the largest beer company in the world. Last year Inbev purchased MillerCoors (Miller and Molsen Coors merged just US operations about 5 years ago and and before that Molsen and Coors merged about 12 years ago) giving them control of almost the entire US beer market. They paid $107 billion for SABMiller! The main point of this was actually to acquire SAB Miller, the parent company of Miller. They wanted SABMiller (which stands for South African Breweries Miller) because Miller had also been consolidating breweries from around the globe. We have anti monopoly laws but much of the world does not. The US governement is at the moment forcing Inbev to divest part of their US operations and Molsen has stated that they are prepared to buy just Coors from them and it will again return to being MolsenCoors instead of MillerCoors.

After all that shakes down I believe Heineken is actually the second largest brewing company int he world. They have somehow managed to stay out of the crazy consolidation.

My point is just that while it seems as though craft beers are being bought up by the big brewers the truth is that all beer has rapidly been consolidated over the past decade or more. Inbev is behind the wheel at Miller and Budweiser so it is actually a global beer conglomerate that is buying the craft brewers. Support the little guys!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back