The Zing is it!

Ya I have some comments about the smoothness of the Zing.

At first after a day or so of constant flipping, it was buttery smooth, and flipped open up against gravity, I could use the flipper or the thumb studs easily.

I swapped out glow in the dark scales and decided to try bronze phosphorus washers instead of the teflon and it was very sluggish opening. I had to add wrist motion to get it open. So it put the teflon back in, but I bent one in the process.

Now no matter what I do its sluggish (when the blade is centered). I have some new washers coming so I'll have to try putting those in.

But in general and as they come from the factory, after wearing them in they flip buttery smooth and I had no issues until I started messing with it.

Last edited:
just got home from work... my 1 hour early birthday present to myself

It is in 100% flawless shape!
photobucket-23103-1340334182520.jpg

That looks awesome! Happy Birthday!

-orangish ducktape

I've always been a fan of the Zing, it was my first Kershaw. When I found out earlier this year that that would be going away I picked up an orange one to go with my black one.

My orange Zing just showed up in the mail. So, I ran outside and snapped a shot before it started raining again...

Zing.jpg

I love this little knife! The handle shape is absolute perfection. :thumbup:

I am going to snag one of the black-handled versions to go along with it..

My orange Zing just showed up in the mail. So, I ran outside and snapped a shot before it started raining again...

Zing.jpg

I love this little knife! The handle shape is absolute perfection. :thumbup:

I am going to snag one of the black-handled versions to go along with it..

Cool picture.

I received my two Zings on Saturday - a Tanto and a regular Orange. Man oh man, I kind of wish I bought the Zings before I bought the Skylines now. I was on the fence between both when I got the Skyline.

These are superb knives. And what a value. They are my go to lightweight carry starting Saturday. Both of them have outstanding fit and finish and action right out of the box too. Nice!

Too bad they're going to the Kershaw bone yard . . .

My snap-on guy had a zing but it was a tanto so I didn't buy it. I liked everything else about it though. He also had an od-1. That has a pretty neat little flipper on it.

Ya I have some comments about the smoothness of the Zing.

At first after a day or so of constant flipping, it was buttery smooth, and flipped open up against gravity, I could use the flipper or the thumb studs easily.

I swapped out glow in the dark scales and decided to try bronze phosphorus washers instead of the teflon and it was very sluggish opening. I had to add wrist motion to get it open. So it put the teflon back in, but I bent one in the process.

Now no matter what I do its sluggish (when the blade is centered). I have some new washers coming so I'll have to try putting those in. If not, my aftermarket scales might be causing my issue.

But in general and as they come from the factory, after wearing them in they flip buttery smooth and I had no issues until I started messing with it.

Hi Bluejayburley: I suspect that your aftermarket scales are causing the detent ball to bind on the blade, thus impeding the opening. If you'll notice, there is a relief on the inside of the original scale that allows the lockbar/ball to move without binding.

Once you get that corrected, a drop of STP Engine Oil Treatment thinned with WD-40 applied to the pivot area will make it open even faster......

The Zing is highly underrated, imo... it's my favourite Kershaw yet. Always thought it would be a great model for Kershaw to release in different colours.

orzing01.jpg

I just picked one up on another forum for $20. This is a GREAT knife and flat out unbeatable at $20. I can't wait to put it on my wicked edge and then to pick up an orange one.

I just ordered another couple of Zings. This knife gives he Skyline a serious run for the money.

Well, after owning this knife for a few weeks, and flipping it a few hundred times, I have noticed that the blade is now resting up against one of the liners.

While this doesn't affect the knife in any way, it started to bug me. So, like any knife nut, I broke out my Torx wrench set to see if I could fix it. The problem is, upon trying to loosen up the pivot screw, I noticed that the hexagon-shaped bolt (on the other side) is spinning freely within the orange liner. Thus not allowing me loosen (or tighten) up the pivot. Now I am wondering if I can do anything to fix it, or do I just live with it like this? I mean, the knife really isn't broke, there is just no way to adjust the pivot screw... *shrug*

Well, after owning this knife for a few weeks, and flipping it a few hundred times, I have noticed that the blade is now resting up against one of the liners.

While this doesn't affect the knife in any way, it started to bug me. So, like any knife nut, I broke out my Torx wrench set to see if I could fix it. The problem is, upon trying to loosen up the pivot screw, I noticed that the hexagon-shaped bolt (on the other side) is spinning freely within the orange liner. Thus not allowing me loosen (or tighten) up the pivot. Now I am wondering if I can do anything to fix it, or do I just live with it like this? I mean, the knife really isn't broke, there is just no way to adjust the pivot screw... *shrug*

My Shallot and Mini Mojito are like this, the actual pivot end is round. (Sounds like you really just need a new orange scale) But when trying to loosen mine, I open them and hold the blade on the edge of a table and flex the handle down and try unscrewing it. Basically this puts side pressure on the pivot via the blade and holds it enough to tighten or loosen the pivot screw, worth a shot, but order up that new backside scale too.

Back