This made me laugh so hard!

Hey look at the bright side, this could be their gateway Khukuri to bigger and better things i.e. H.I. Khukuri. I myself spent $20-$30 on a kukri shaped machete and mass produced indian made Khukuri before I decided I loved the design and was willing to fork over premium prices for premium Khuks and all I can say is it was worth it.

I was lucky. I was introduced to HI by a good friend I never met in person so I didn't have to waste any time or money on the imposters.

My opinion of Walmart is confirmed.

I worry about the poor soul who buys one of these for self defense and has it snap in two at the worst possible time.

Reminds me of a movie scene where a guy is confronted by two muggers in a hallway. He pulls out his trusty multipurpose pocket knife, yanks open one of the implements, and it turns out to be the spoon. If I remember correctly, the muggers laugh so hard that they let the guy go.

Couldda been worse! He couldda been forked:eek:
Well... I fell for the expensive Khuk with the Krypton handle. Hey if its Kra...krypton its gotta be great! Anywaz after I took a big chunk out of it I learned to appreciate the softer parts of the knife like the spine and the tip. Live and learn! We all ended up in the same cantina telling our stories tho didnt we? Bawanna you are a freak of nature when it comes to luck sir! Your always in the right spot at the right time. I do recall a Kothimoda Katana landing your way and I do know how Khul that thing is:thumbsup:

I was brand new to HI when that Katana lottery took place. I almost didn't buy any tickets because I was new and all.

I was completely knocked over when Karda told me I won. It is wicked Khul for sure.

I got the HI medallion for a year too before it got passed off to Karda for his turn. I think Philllll has it now if memory serves.

Kind of set the pace for me here too. I've had nothing but pretty durn good luck with all things HI.
Made a new best friend in Yangdu and her family, and several first class buddies in the ranks of the membership here and Bookie too on his good days.

If I can just get him over the anguish of having the 2nd best curved spine, I think he'd have more good days.

.... If I can just get [Bookie] over the anguish of having the 2nd best curved spine, I think he'd have more good days.

Can you repost pics of your curved spine (the knife, I mean)? The earlier pics seem to have vanished with the change in Bladeforums.

I think I have a contender for best curved spine, an AK Boomerang Knife by Vim Kami, 15" OAL, 25 oz. It's the first picture below.

The second picture is a Baghe (Tiger) Knife by Padam Kami, 16" OAL, 30 oz. It's not mine but I'm including the picture because it has the same blade profile with the unusual curved spine, but without the AK-type deep fuller.

AKBoomerang15-Vim25oz-02.jpg AKBoomerang-BhageTigerKnife16-Padam30oz-01.jpg

Those are both incredibly awesome, I love that boomerang knife but they are entirely different models all their own so different ball game.
I think you can safely and without reservation say that you have the bestest boomerang knife known to man and comfort yourself with the knowledge that I'm terribly jealous that I don't have one to compete against it. It's beautiful.

I'll take a picture of the curved spine today (hopefully) and post it. It will of course be traumatic for Bookie but maybe a couple chocolate chip cookies and some thumb sucking on the kitchen floor will get him through.

There are no words to describe how much I love this bestest curved spine by Thamar.

Last ones a little fuzzy, must have been thinking about the hot nickelite in my lap. A little shaky.

Gag. Hack. Pfussspt! Bill the Cat couldn't have said it any more gooder. That Boomerang khuk is definitely sweet, but as poor, mis-guided, Joe the Bawanna has mentioned, it ain't a Curved Spine. This my friend, is what a real, goodness to honest, more gooder Curved Spine REALLY looks like and it has a small piece of Kryptonite embedded under the twin skull cracker. It must be working as Lex Luther keeps inquiring about it. CS3a.jpg CS6.JPG CS0a.jpg

That's some really good photo's of the second bestest curved spine in the world.

You must be a professional photographer with good taste in knives.

That boomerang is sweet as can be and I want one of them bad now. (thanks alot). But again, different category all together.

I better go dose up on Aleve, I know the dolls are coming out as we speak, already got a sharp stabbing pain in the back, it's either a pin or running the weed wacker and organizing the garage and shed all day.
I'll know soon.

While that kuk is on Walmart's site, Museum Replicas is not the worst company out there. It could be worse, but I still would not trust it for real use.

There are no words to describe how much I love this bestest curved spine by Thamar.

Last ones a little fuzzy, must have been thinking about the hot nickelite in my lap. A little shaky.

I was distracted by the background of the first image. Was there a Kukri in there somewhere?

Broad question I know, but as I'm getting into Kukris I'd like to know my best options in the $100-$300 range. I'd appreciate your ideas.

Thanks.

You can do a lot with $100- $300 range.
Kind of need to know what you plan to do with it, how big an ole boy your are etc. If your packing it or just using it from home or the truck?

Usually recommend a KLVUK, kind of the villager style khuk you would see over there in every day use.

Nice size, inexpensive, kind of a good test the waters knife. Although most of us grab a KLVUK first even if we have lots of other options.

Watch for the daily deals that Yangu post, not every day but frequently. See what blows your dress up and jump in. I think you'll be hooked and probably throw your hatchet and maybe even your axe away or at least store them for infrequent use.

The background distraction is Mrs bawanna many years ago, she is a distraction and has been for 40 plus years.
I keep meaning to move that picture since it gets in a lot of bench pictures but it's still pleasant to look at when I'm uncrossing my eyes or straightening out my neck and such.

I'll concede that my AK Boomerang Knife is in a different category, and I wouldn't want to pick a winner between Bawanna's and Bookie's Curved Spine blades. I have what I think is a MkII khukuri that, according to the seller, he received from a veteran who personally brought it back from the Pacific Theater at the end of World War II. The 18" OAL blade is engraved "1944 QEYOOM BROS," which is an Indian company known to have made khukuris for Gurkha troops. The blade profile seems to me very similar to Bawanna's and Bookie's knives, though, like many WWII military issue knives, the traditional handle ring is missing. The steel bolster seems to have been welded on (very smoothly) and the steel butt plate also has the relatively rare double tang as in Bawanna's and Bookie's pictures. Here are the obligatory pics:

WWII-18-PacificTheater-EbayWWoz-03.JPG WWII-18-PacificTheater-EbayWWoz-04.JPG WWII-18-PacificTheater-EbayWWoz-11.JPG WWII-18-PacificTheater-EbayWWoz-12.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like a Long Leaf, larger than the Bojpure. You can still get those from IMI? IM something, I get notifications all the time for neat military stuff.
I believe it was Ndog that sent me one long ago, it looks very similar to ours.
They are very cool and light and fast. I won't risk using mine as I don't want to damage it and I got a few others to use, but it's cherished.
I have another that was sent to me by Gehazi with a sheath similar to yours, I'll have to look again at it, it's very old too.
I think he called it a WWII but others have said it looks more like an M43. Just looks cool to me and that's what really matters.

Well scratch that, just checked and they are out of the Long Leaf's. Still show the Bojpuri's with or without sheath.

Back