Tip up or tip down EDC folder?

Right now, for instance, I have my PM2 in my back pocket, tip up. I pull it out by sliding my thumb into my pocket along the scale and applying pressure with my thumb on the scale as I pull up, letting friction do the work. As soon as it's out of my pocket, my ring finger falls right into the Spyderhole

Do you not sit down during the day? I have to sit down all day, I would worry about killing my upholstery and breaking the knife scales. No way will friction pull a knife out of my pocket, I have to pinch my thumb on the inside and my first finger on the outside, hard, and pull up. But then once out of my pocket my thumb is right where it needs to be.

I prefer tip-up because on almost every tip-down knife I've handled the pocket clip got in the way of my grip on the knife in open position. If I ever find a tip down without this problem I will use it and maybe I'll see what advantages it has but until then the only pocket-clipped-knives I have found suitable were tip-up clips (I'm mostly thinking of Benchmade 710, and CRK Umnumzaan while writing this).

I love tip up. That's how I carry my knives. None of my knives are set for tip down carry. If they have a clip, they're tip up.
If they don't have a clip, they just ride in my pocket.(SAK's, Slip joints, etc.)
All of my knives otherwise are tip up, it's just more comfortable for me that way. It's all personal preference as said before.

Most of my knifes for the past 15 years or so have been tip up, but my preference is tip down. I like the fact that when I grab the knife, my hand is closer to the middle of the knife (where it folds) rather than towards the end of the handle where I'm away from the thumb stud/ hole. I also find that I have to readjust grip up the handle when I open a tip up folder. In the end tho, it's not a deal breaker for me, just a preference.

It absolutely does not matter. Most of the designs I like that fit my criteria (mostly USA made, but definitely in-house made) are tip up which is fine. If a knife has a hole opening method, like Spyderco, I prefer tip down for easy access to the hole (no pun intended) AKA "Spydie drop." Honestly, the maker should/will put it where they want & I will buy or not buy based on my criteria.

There could be "regularized carry" going on, which basically means a person wants to carry different knives at different times & wants them to be similar. But to me it's a moot point when the knives are shaped totally different & ESPECIALLY moot of it has a different locking mechanism. Some people have biases. Some people just follow the herd. (& everybody's right!)

Never sweated it one way or the other, you can shift your hand position as you draw the knife to work with either position. To me it's more about what works best for a particular knife in terms of comfort. If I have to quick draw something it isn't going to be a knife.

Tip-up lets you wave a knife or use a flipper, which is way faster than a thumbstud or a hole. That makes it the only way to go in my mind.

It's pretty much the same to me. I can't remember ever switching a clip from one position to the other, both seem to work just fine.

I go either way. The only time I prefer tip down is when I'm sitting a lot and have to access a knife in my pocket where it's in there tight. Too much fumbling around with tip up draw if you only have it by the very end when you pull it out.

I prefer tip up. I find it's quicker for me. However; I will not refuse to buy a great knife if the only option is tip down.

I prefer tip up but tip down only won't stop me from buying me a knife. I like the opening method of tip up better.

I used to prefer tip up, but lately I've been carrying tip down. Some knives, however, do not work tip down for me. Examples are: ZT 0560, Gayle Bradley and Delica 4. The Military and Para 2 work better tip down in my experience.

if you only have it by the very end when you pull it out.

I've seen the guys demonstrate tip-up on youtube while wearing pajamas, I guess with pajamas you can get your hand down in your pocket to grab more of the knife. That doesn't help me because I never wear pajamas. I wear jeans, and you aren't getting much more than the tip of your thumb into my pocket while there is a big knife in there so the only way it's coming out is when you grab it by the end.

all of my clipped knives have tip up config, except my Spyderco Military. It gets a pass. :thumbup:

Same here, buddy. I much prefer tip up, but tip down actually feels really good on the Military. The only knife with a multi-position clip that I keep down is my Skyline. In tip-up position, it sticks out of my pocket enough that I actually lost one while camping.

aaah the endless debate about tip up vs tip down....at the end...it is all personal preference. What ever works for you is the right answer :D

Do you not sit down during the day? I have to sit down all day, I would worry about killing my upholstery and breaking the knife scales. No way will friction pull a knife out of my pocket, I have to pinch my thumb on the inside and my first finger on the outside, hard, and pull up. But then once out of my pocket my thumb is right where it needs to be.

I sit at my desk for a significant amount of time throughout the day. I have never, ever, under any circumstance, broken a knife scale. I haven't damaged any upholstery either, though I sometimes worry that I may. In any case, if any of those things were to happen, they'd probably have an equal chance of occurring from tip up as from tip down carry.

I guess your clips are tighter than mine, because I don't have to grip a knife hard to pull it out of my pocket.

Back