Tomahawk Training: Books, Equipment, Hands-On, & VHS/DVDs

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by FSCJedi, Aug 26, 2006.

1. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    Well now I'm all manner of flattered, Dwight!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The knife fights that went on for minutes seemed a little unrealistic to me, but that's really why I liked the 'hawk sequence - it was just brutal, vicious, and to the point. Death usually in three moves or less.
    LOL. Well, I hope it goes well, Dwight. I'm sure the finished product will be just fine! Either way, I wanna pre-order it (both the video, and the book... and any training tools you might choose to do as a package deal. hint, hint. ;))
    Oooooh, now I'm very interested! This sounds like what might have actually been used with 'hawk fighting. The American Indians wouldn't have had the benefit of dueling colleges, but we all know they did War-Dance stuff, a lot of it based on Animal movement (if I'm correct). This just keeps getting better, Dwight! I can't wait till I see the final product!
    Please, please, PLEASE keep us informed! I know I'm personally hanging on every little tidbit you leak out to us here! Haha. :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    Bump for all the new guys... :thumbup:

3. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Interesting. We don't seem to have a moderator for this forum, so I'll go along with FSCJedi's request and make this thread a sticky.

4. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    Wow, thanks! Now everyone can enjoy this info without having to search for it! :cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

5. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    Edited the original post to include a link to Dwight's new tomahawk training DVDs! :thumbup:

6. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    I've had Dwight's The Fighting Tomahawk book for a few months now and have found it to be a great resource! NOW, I received the DVD for Christmas and am going through it as a quick review before I start using the segments for learning and practicing. So far it has been an AWESOME video, I'm through with the 1st and half the 2nd DVD of the 3DVD set so far. :)

I also received The Fighting Staff by Dwight for Xmas and am excited about putting the two to practical use. I need to get into the Big Blades now too! :) Awesome instructional materials one and all!

7. WoodlandArchery

WoodlandArchery

Mar 5, 2010
    Hi all..
    I am the designer of the Training Tomahawk from Woodland Archery. You can see the link at http://www.WoodlandArchery.com/Tomahawks.htm

Let me know if you have used this in the past and how you feel about it.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy Bays

8. Dwight McLemore

Dwight McLemore

Aug 26, 2000
    Hey Jeremy: As you know I bought a quanity of these two or three years ago when I had the school operating. When I retired, I handed them over to Steve Huff who has brought them to ISMAC every year since then. They have held up really well and are excellent for introducing 1st timers to manuplation exercises.

All My Best
    Dwight

9. wannabebum

wannabebum

Dec 27, 2004
  10. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    I have just finished reading Dwight's Volume II on the Fighting Tomahawk and it is EXCELLENT! I would have to recommend both Volumes and his videos highly! I also got the Bowie and Big Knife Fighting book and the Advanced book, so I'll be putting all five resources together in my training along with the Staff book info! Great series Dwight!! :)

11. fishmonger

fishmonger

Jul 1, 2005
    Howdy ,

If you want to be good with the hawk learn Reverse grip knife fighting:D

Seriously ....Tomahawks are used like a knife in reverse grip, the handle is just an extension of the arm, the edge of the hawk takes the place of the point of the knife but the same moves work for both.

All the hooking and clearing of limbs that a hawk can do are mimicked by what the knife held in reverse grip does, hook clear deliver point or edge, I like the Gransfors bruks wildlife or mini hatchets best, no silly spike to hook yourself with and are light sharp and fast.

All the best,

Jim

12. Edwood7

Edwood7

Mar 31, 2010
    http://blip.tv/ask-sensei/axe-hatche...part-1-1154747

The videos are by a man named Peter Brusso, he says he is a combat veteran that served in Vietnam. The techniques he teaches on these videos are almost identical to the ones I learned in the army. Battle hatchet

13. East Bay Knucklehead

East Bay Knucklehead

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks for posting this. I've been looking all over for training materials on the hawk' I've got Dwight's three partbook/dvd ( or is it only VHS???) set first on the list. I also just bookmarked the site for the trainers. I thought about hitting a Tap Plastics store and see what they could fab up, but you have taken a ton of footwork out my search. Thanks Bro!

-E.B. Knucklehead

14. East Bay Knucklehead

East Bay Knucklehead

Sep 24, 2011
    I just downloaded some knife and tomahawk pod casts by Peter Brusso and was wondering what some other folks might think about his training methods?

15. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    Hey guys, I'm VERY happy to see that his has continued to be a great resource for those looking to delve into the combat aspects of the tomahawk. I also appreciate the additional resources being linked above! If anyone has a review of the Modern Combative hawk DVD linked above, I'd sure like to know!

16. Edwood7

Edwood7

Mar 31, 2010
    Hey where have you been? I’m fairly new here, but I have enjoyed your past post.

17. FSCJedi

FSCJedi

Oct 19, 2002
    I've been everywhere, man. Haha. Life keeps me busy. Glad you've enjoyed my stuff, though!

18. Edwood7

Edwood7

Mar 31, 2010
    [youtube]fwvqrI_vHm4[/youtube]

19. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Dude that's a white Mr. T right there. ;)

20. Edwood7

Edwood7

Mar 31, 2010
    [youtube]pHTsyAy_2V4[/youtube]