TOPS Travelin' Man 2

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I got this one because I spend a lot of time in the field testing things. I needed something small and light, that wouldn’t add a lot of weight to my already heavy load of equipment, to carry to the field while working in the winter months but still tough enough to take some serious abuse if needs be. When I saw the new Travelin’ Man 2 come out I thought it would be a good one to build a small kit around. A kit that was inspired by one Mac,(he goes by Pict here on the forums) carries as his back up during his travels in the bush down in South America.

DSC_1652.jpg

The specs:

O/A Length: 9 1/8"
Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Thickness: 3/16"
Steel: 1095 High Carbon RC 56-58
Handle: Skeleton
Blade Color: TAC Black
Weight: 4.7oz

The sheath has a new version of TOPS’ belt clip, and is designed to be used as a belt sheath or as a neck sheath.

DSC_1642.jpg

DSC_1644.jpg

It’s small enough not to be obtrusive, yet large enough to be a very functional tool.

DSC_1647.jpg

DSC_1814.jpg

So far I have only added a few items using some inner tube. I’ve added a small ferro rod, a small ceramic rod, a button compass, and a signal mirror. Then I wrapped the handle with McNett camo wrap for more comfort, and the sheath to match. It also helps with breaking up the outline and noise discipline.

DSC_1806.jpg

DSC_1808.jpg

DSC_2121.jpg

DSC_2124.jpg

DSC_2127.jpg

DSC_1818.jpg

DSC_1820.jpg

DSC_1823.jpg

DSC_1816.jpg

While it’s not a full flat grind, it has a higher grind than some of my other TOPS knives. It came with a very sharp edge so it whittles and slices well.

DSC_2129.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg

It has a strong tip that can take some rough use, I dug a hole through this ¾-inch plywood with it.

DSC_2131.jpg

DSC_2133.jpg

DSC_2142.jpg

DSC_2146.jpg

DSC_2144.jpg

I had no problems making fine shavings for tinder.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

And it handled splitting some hard wood for fuel well also, knots and all. I really do like TOPS’ heat treats.

DSC_2149.jpg

DSC_2155.jpg

DSC_2154.jpg

DSC_2159.jpg

DSC_2162.jpg

DSC_2167.jpg

DSC_2165.jpg

DSC_2164.jpg

I think it is going to do it’s job quite well.

Last edited:
I think it is going to do it’s job quite welL....

I agree--

Looks perfect for that job

Excellent review,that would indeed make a fine little traveling companion and woods tool.

I like that it is small, but not a mini handle like on some. Recently I have gotten the 'small knife' bug and keep looking at a lot of small fixed blades that would work well. Looks like another to add to the accumulating list of knives-to-get.

Thanks a lot, bro. :p

Looks like a nice little blade! Even though you have to sort through the catalog to find the practical models, TOPS makes some nice stuff!

Another great review Mist :thumbup: I really like the looks of that one. I am a sucker for spear pointed blades, and it looks like a sweet little bush blade. It would be cool if TOPS offered some optional micarta scales for it too.

Edit: Hey I just noticed this is a bearthedog design, very cool. No wonder it looks so handy. The knife guys on here sure know what they're doing I guess ;)

Last edited:
It looks like an updated Kephart; I like it. How do you like the handle in various grips?

I think it is going to do it’s job quite welL....

I agree--

Looks perfect for that job

Thanks Bill, I think it will. I am always carrying along things I am testing and evaluation or doing R&D work with, as well as several pounds of photo equipment, my notebook, external hard drive, water, food, a first aid kit, etc... So, even though I always have other sharps on me R&D sometimes means finding the point of failure...sometimes intentionally so, and because of this I wanted something small and light that I could carry along and know going in that it will handle my most basic needs as well as some abuse if it becomes necessary. In the warmer months my folder and a smaller neck knife will most likely handle any needs that arise, but in the colder months I want something more substantial.

Excellent review,that would indeed make a fine little traveling companion and woods tool.

Thank you, and I think so too.

I like that it is small, but not a mini handle like on some. Recently I have gotten the 'small knife' bug and keep looking at a lot of small fixed blades that would work well. Looks like another to add to the accumulating list of knives-to-get.

Thanks a lot, bro. :p

Those are the same features that drew me to it, small, but not too small.

Hey, at least it's not some exorbitantly expensive design :)

Looks like a nice little blade! Even though you have to sort through the catalog to find the practical models, TOPS makes some nice stuff!

Thanks bro, I think so too.

Another great review Mist :thumbup: I really like the looks of that one. I am a sucker for spear pointed blades, and it looks like a sweet little bush blade. It would be cool if TOPS offered some optional micarta scales for it too.

Edit: Hey I just noticed this is a bearthedog design, very cool. No wonder it looks so handy. The knife guys on here sure know what they're doing I guess ;)

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. I tend to be a bit abusive with my knives at times so I'm a sucker for a strong tip. I have thought about adding some very thin G10 scales, but I'm not sure I want to do that. The wrap is comfortable, light, and can also serve as cordage if needs be.

Lol, Reuben spends enough time traveling that the name suits it eh?

It looks like an updated Kephart; I like it. How do you like the handle in various grips?

I like it a lot, it's more comfortable in a reverse grip now that it's wrapped. All the others I use most were fine to start with.

that looks pretty nice - what are the specs?

Darn it...(thats d a r n it not a misspelled d@mn it) here they are, and I'll need to edit those in.

O/A Length: 9 1/8"
Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Thickness: 3/16"
Steel: 1095 High Carbon RC 56-58
Handle: Skeleton
Blade Color: TAC Black
Weight: 4.7oz

I think I want one to be a side kick to my Power Eagle 12.

Would make a great companion to the Power Eagle 12, I can see me pairing it up with mine as well.

Love the design and the write-up, it looks perfect for piggybacking on a machete or large knife.

Camo Form is great stuff.

Thanks, I really like the design also. I like the idea of a kneck knife, but I also like the idea of my neck knives being able to serve as a primary if pressed into service in the colder months. Personally I like piggybacking in a pack when stored and in camp, but in the field I tend to like to spreading things out and not having too many eggs in one basket.

I like it! BUT i HAVE SO MANYKNIVES THAT SIZE!!! UHG

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have several in this size range, but few I would want to wear inverted around my neck. and the ones I would would require being sent off for new sheaths first to work with the kit I wanted to build.

Great looking knife and a good write-up.

That's a really practical blade shape. Would love to see a size comparison beside an Izula.

If only all my wishes came true that quickly! That was a quick response.
It looks like the Travelin Man II would easily fit the general purpose role.

Thanks!

We gave it a workout in Peru cutting chickens, shaving wood, and beating it through wood for fire.

-RB

Back