trail shoe brands?

My Merrill Moab Ventilators turned fragrant after two days. I've had stink foot and know what to do about it, but not stink shoe. So I ordered a can of "shoe disinfectant & deodorizer" spray from the big polluted tropical river.

Active Ingredients
2-Phenylphenol 0.20%
4-tert-Amylphenol 0.05%
Ethanol 53.00%
Inactive Ingredients 46.75%
Two treatments killed the stink. Any ethanol-based aerosol disinfectant should work. Shop for price and fragrance-free.

This is Moab in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

hiero_N35A.png
hiero_M17.png
hiero_D58.png
hiero_G43.png
hiero_N25.png

It's easy enough to read, right to left: hiking sandal, hawk squat, stink foot, fan to blow away fumes.
thanks for the tip!

I do not care for the tactical look but I bought some Bates tactical boots with side zipper from Cabela's in the bargain cave and I love these boots for hiking. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. I figured the zipper would go bad after a few months but 3 years later and many hard miles on them and the boot and zipper are still going strong.
My next pair will probably be the Bates Cobra which is lite weight but rugged I am sure.

I don't get funky shoes often since I change my socks and keep my feet clean, but it happens occasionally, there are some crazy fungi on the ground but running your footwear through a wash cycle with a little bleach (fill the washer with a good amount of water and pour in and mix the bleach around to dilute before putting them in) will kill any funk as long as your shoes can stand up to the washer it's well worth it.. I've only had 2 pairs that didn't make it out alive the rest were A-ok just make sure you do an extra rinse or even run a 2nd cycle with just water to really flush out and neutralize the chlorine.

Over the years I've gone through Adidas then Nike then New Balance then Merrell. My most recent have been The North Face and they work well but can be hard to find. The last time I needed shoes I couldn't find TNF so I bought Oboz (from REI) and they are working well.

The type of shoes I like are classified as trail running, although the Oboz are a bit stiffer and probably better for trail hiking than trail running.

What other brands should I be looking at?

Two quick, rhetorical question: Overpronation, supination, neutral? Flat, medium, high?

To add to the aforementioned list:
Saucony (I'm currently using the Xodus 6.0 GTX for hiking, but also running when the pack is off)
Hoka One One
Inov-8
Altra
Mizuno
If you're US and you go Euro shoe, I highly recommend ordering 1/2 size up.

As far as big brands go: Asics or New Balance, then Reebok or Diadora.

I returned my Merrell Moab Ventilator and Keen Targhee II the day I got them, because they hurt my feet. No, breaking shoes in and getting blisters is not proper; I've hiked hundreds of mountainous miles with 30 lb loads and zero blisters by finding the right shoe for me. Merrells and Keens work for a lot of people, but not my feet.

Keep in mind how vague all this information is. The guy who loves his old Brooks Cascadia (insert any maker and model here) often hates the new Brooks Cascadia because of small--yet important--changes made in design and manufacturing. Finding the right shoe for the individual is never just.

My Merrill Moab Ventilators turned fragrant after two days. I've had stink foot and know what to do about it, but not stink shoe. So I ordered a can of "shoe disinfectant & deodorizer" spray

I've used Lysol disinfectant cleaner to clean my shoes. I mix it up (dilute it) in a big bucket and dunk the shoes in it, then let them dry. This works and lasts for awhile. I've tried a simpler approach by mixing up the stuff in a spray bottle and just misting the insides of the shoes. It is easy to do and lasts for about 2 weeks.

I've also read that you can put the shoes in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight but my wife won't let me try that.

There are Lysol, Clorox, and Walmart branded aerosol disinfectants. They are ethanol based and they will do what you want. They are scented and you may want to check the smell before you buy. Spray the inside of your shoes lightly, don't soak them, and let them dry overnight.

I worked with a guy with smelly feet--when he took off the shoes the shoes and feet stunk. I mentioned it, and he bought odor eaters insoles. Problem solved with no ADDED smell. I would definitely vote against covering the smell with another smell--most of that scented crap is unhealthy to breath and generally smells bad to me.

Back