Trowel on the belt - U-Dig It

kgd

I received a couple of items on order today that are pretty nifty.

The first is the U-DigIt folding trowel with leather belt sheath. This thing is just a great little size. Doesn't weigh much nor take room on the belt (admittedly, I'll now be at three belt items and am getting towards the batman syndrome). Very light and solid folding trowel made of stainless steel. The handles lock in place with a very solid click and you need to squeeze them a bit to help with the release. Works great a digging little holes. What other tool can serve both purposes of edibles and defecation??? Actually, I think I'll be using this more for the former especially given spring herbs are nearly upon us!

Shot next to my SAK (OHT) sheath and firesteel:

DSC_0003.jpg

I would have preferred a fold over belt loop, but I can't complain. The sheath far surpasses what I was expecting (a cheap nylon POS).

DSC_0004-4.jpg

Palm shot for size perspective. Yep its small, but the lip is sharp enough to give you good dig. Nope, this won't replace an e-tool and you won't be digging trenches with it.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0007-6.jpg

Next up was a mora fillet knife. I've been using the Martini produced rapala's forever and seeing as this was on sale at the place I bought the U-DigIt from, I figured I'd give it a go. So far, I like the edge. Good flex and I think the tip, albeit funky is going to work rather nicely slipping off the back bone and feathering around rib cages. Haven't worked any fish flesh with it yet but will the moment I can. Hope is it will retain its cutting edge a bit longer than the martini's do. We'll see!

DSC_0008-7.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0011-7.jpg

That U Dig It sheath is nicer than the one mine came in, which is the aforementioned cheap nylon POS :D it is a handy little shovel and has been backpacking with me several times. In some of the national parks, the rangers have actually asked to see that someone in the group has a trowel!

Very cool. I do like it. Someone else posted about that without the sheath though, I think. I was looking at getting one but then came across this at an outdoor show and bought it instead. Leave No Trace Trowel. No sheath, but packs nicely, super light and surprisingly tough.Trowel is made from repurposed GSI polycarbonate, Serrated edges make for easy digging in hard soil.

100_5803.jpg

What other tool can serve both purposes of edibles and defecation??? Actually, I think I'll be using this more for the former especially given spring herbs are nearly upon us!

I rather enjoy the Zenbori Soil Knife (based on the traditional Japanese "hori hori." Not quite as compact or lightweight, but pretty close!

Beveled side
zenbori-knife-500.jpg

Concave side
93139.gif

I have one of the U-Dig-it trowels around here somewhere...never use it. I just make a hole with a stick or heaven forbid, my knife. I should try to find and try it out...

I have two of them, one in my day pack and the other in my 72 hour/backpacking kit. Both came with the cheap nylon pouches. Used then a few times to conture the ground to my bodies shape, dig out fire pits and flatten areas for tents. They sure are nice to have.

I've seen the clones of them that Wal*Mart carries--they're made out of soft metal that can deform under hand pressure. :D I don't have experience with the genuine article though--are they nicely hardened?

I've seen the clones of them that Wal*Mart carries--they're made out of soft metal that can deform under hand pressure. :D I don't have experience with the genuine article though--are they nicely hardened?

Yep these are hardened. I actually filed the lip a little bit on mine just to sharpen it slightly and it seems sufficiently hard on the basis on that.

Hey folks, for all the guys who own one of these with the nylon sheath, I want to say that I didn't realize that there was a nylong sheathed version of this tool out there. When I mentioned POS - nylon sheath, I wasn't intending to make a derogatory statement to those who have one as I didn't know they exist. I just sort of imagined the worse kind of sheath that comes with one of those knock-off multi-tools given to you by your sister on your hamster's birthday. Anyhow, my comment was intended to say that I was delighted with the leather sheath that came with this tool and not to run down the version that came with a nylon sheath. The leather sheath does make for an excellent belt sheath which is what attracted me to this tool in the first place.

KJD..I want to give you a heads up on the U-Dig-it. I have a couple of them and if you are holding it reversed (with the scoop pointed toward you or dragging the dirt toward you) the pressure of your hand will unlock the handle and it will give you a nice pinch to the fingers. I haven't yet figured out a way to add a locking collar or ring(ala Opiniel) to the otherwise fine little spade to prevent this. The "real" U-Dig-It can be made almost knife sharp on its edge as VS the fake one which is so weak it will fold in the middle of the blade if digging into very hard soil. I think its a great idea but I've gone back to my fixed blade polycarbonate trowel until I get the locking collar figured out. best regards my friend.

I have a solution--just stand on the opposite side of the hole! :D

Actually the nylon sheath wasn't too bad, but I lost it somewhere. I have a little nylon stuff sack I keep mine in along with the all important TP in my pack :thumbup:

That green recycled one looks like it would be really light and tough, I like that.

Back