Trying out some new steel M390 and 10V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not had a chance to heat treat anything since before Blade. I am trying to get a few more blades ready before I go and fill up my cryo tank. That stuff doesn't last very long in this summer weather so I need to get the most out of it. Getting hard enough is will not be a problem. We just need to find that ideal sweetspot for both edge holding and toughness. I believe Phil recommended it at 61-62 for all around use.

See the other thread. I left it for 2nd tempering for 6hrs. Will temper once more tomorrow.

Nothing yet. Will be getting to that shortly. Probably gonna do that choilless BT4 in 10v.

i got about 8 cut outs in 10v to send your way........................................

Got done tempering those m390 blades and it came out to about 61rc on my rockwell reader.

if M390 and K390 are so hard to grind/shape...how in the heck will we ever sharpen one if it will need it in the first place...

if M390 and K390 are so hard to grind/shape...how in the heck will we ever sharpen one if it will need it in the first place...

That is a tradeoff for extreme wear resistance. But luckily they will only require sharpening every once in a long while. Abrasives like silicon carbide, ceramic, and diamond cut even super hard steels very easily. Personally, cpm-m4 is about as much edge holding that I will ever need.

Ready for handles.

6304208046_7d72e19c59_b.jpg

Yep, it has been heat treated and tempered. Currently at 64rc as per Phil Wilson's heat treat recommendation. I don't really look forward to finish grinding cause I know it is gonna suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back