• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Two Hand Forged 52100 Integral Bolster Knives

Hey folks,

Thought I'd offer up these two knives as my first knives for sale here on Blade Forums (I've sold a good number of knives else where of course ;) ). Both blades are hand forged from 3/4" 52100 round stock and differentially hardened. These are great little users, are super sharp and fit nice in the hand.

Here is the first:

Blade Length: 3.125" (tip to start of edge, 1.5" choil/bolster)
OAL: 8.0625"
Hand Forged 52100 Blade, differentially hardened.
Hand rubbed finish
Big leaf maple handle with hidden tang integral bolster construction
Price: $280.00 sheathed and shipped (insured, CONUS)

IntegralBolster022copy.jpg

IntegralBolster035copy.jpg

And here is the second:

Blade Length: 2.75" (tip to start of edge, 1.5" choil/bolster)
OAL: 7.5"
Hand Forged 52100 Blade differentially hardened
Hand rubbed finish
Madrone burl handle with hidden tang integral bolster construction
Price: $260 sheathed and shipped (insured, CONUS)

IntegralBolster040copy.jpg

IntegralBolster060copy.jpg

OR you can take BOTH for $520, and have a little discount in the price.

Both of these knives will include custom leather sheaths done by me. I've yet to complete them, but will have the sheaths done in the next couple days and I will update this thread with more pictures. If someone grabs one (or both) of these before I do the sheaths, I will make the sheaths to customer specifications, including a decent bit of custom tooling if desired. If not they will probably be pouch style sheaths with either pocket clips or a belt loop, RT hand carry, and maybe a simple tooled boarder.

Shipping will be USPS priority insured (other shipping available with customer request, but customer will be responsible for additional charges). I will cover shipping for CONUS purchases. I'm happy to ship outside the US, but additional shipping costs will be the customer's responsibility (I'll cover up to what it would cost to ship in the US, and you just pay whatever things go over).

For payment, I take PayPal, money order, or personal check (with time to clear before shipment). Your choice.

First "I'll take it/them" gets it/them
Drop me a PM or email at: fredeenblades@hotmail.com for payment instructions.

Additional pictures available on request.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
These look very nice. I took a look around your website and liked what I saw there too! :thumbup:

Excellent looking knives. Only if I had a bit more $$ I'd buy.

These shouldn't last long.

I've held both of these pieces and the quality is right up there with the best. Graham puts a ton of hours in them doing all the finish work by hand. They deserve to be on the front page.

Thanks for the kind words folks, and thanks for the endorsement Wayne ;) !

Still havent had the chance to do the sheaths yet (been a bit swamped with other work... damascus rings and whatnot), so if you'd like a completly custom sheath done to your specifications with one of these knives, better jump on the chance as I will be starting the sheaths in the next day or so.

These are really nice little guys and need a good home.

Thanks again for looking.

Back up to the top for another look.

I've decided to hold off on the sheaths until I get buyers for these... was getting ready to start on one, but thought as soon as I did, someone would want one of the knives and would want left hand carry or a different style, etc, so I'll just do them completly custom to customer specification.

Bit supprised there's been no interest yet... something wrong with these that I'm not seeing? ;)

Nothing wrong whatsoever. very attractive knives. January is pay back month for all the Christmas over-spending. i'm sure they will find good homes before end of the month.
roland

I don't see anything wrong with them. Like them a lot in fact. Unfortunately I can't afford them.

Nice looking knives. Especially the first one. I have enjoyed your website.

Thanks folks, glad you like these little guys, and glad you like my website.

Guess we'll bump this back to the front page.

Thanks for looking.

Those look great. If I weren't already overextended, I'd bite. Gorgeous work.

Sure, I might be willing to take some monthly payment on these for those who would want them but don't have the means at the moment. Email me if you're interested: fredeenblades@hotmail.com

Boy folks, I'm having a really hard time grasping that these are still here and that no one wants them.

You folks must have no idea what you are missing out on ;)

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Dear Graham, a dear friend told me about this forum. I joined and this is my very first post, how about that? I looked at your knives and simply fell in love with them right away. I love to cook and entertain guests and they would look fabulous on my antique cherry farmhouse table. I would so love to hear more about your hand rubbed finish. Does this mean you use no machinery? They are so beautiful. I love the blend of color and elegant styling. Would it be possible to make two sets of these steak knives, say, six each? Thank you so very much.

David

Thanks David, I'm super glad you like them, and welcome to Blade Forums :).

Here is a simple break down of my methods for making these knives. First I start with the raw steel (in this case 52100 steel in 3/4" round stock), and I forge that out into rough blade shapes and form the integral bolsters. I use a mini hydraulic press I built to break down the initial bulk of this stock, and then forge the rest by hand, hammer and anvil (I have some youtube videos showing some of my processes, posted under the tutorial section of my website if you are interested). After this I use my grinder to refine the shape of the blades. Then I heat treat the blades (I use a digitally controled heat treat furnace for precise control). Then I clean up the blades a little more with the grinder. Next I fit up the handles, and rough shape them initially with a belt sander to knock down the majority of the bulk and excess wood, and then by hand with rasps and finally sand paper. Then when it comes time to do all the blending in the bolster transition and final finish work on the blades, I do all of this by hand, no machines are used for the final blade finish. The hand rubbed finish is achieved by hours and hours of hand sanding (single strokes in one direction so as not to create little loops and hooks in the finish by going back and forth). Hand rubbed finishes are very labor intesive, but more than worth it for the final finished result in my opinion. These blades were taken to a very fine, 1500 grit hand rubbed finish.

I suppose sets may be possible, but would definately take some time to complete. If you would like to discuss things a bit further, please email me at fredeenblades@hotmail.com, or you can drop me a private message here on the forums.

Thanks very much,

Graham

Back to the top for another round.

I think these little knives are feeling mighty sad and lonely. Nobody seems to want them, and they just stay wrapped up safely with no one to use them.... poor knives ;)

I guarentee though, that these knives will be some of the best you'll own :) .

Thanks for looking.

Back